Is this normal battery behaviour?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miragebg, Jun 4, 2012.

1. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Hello guys!
    While I was on stock iOS 5.1.1 my battery lasted at least 10h and still showed 100% battery. After 11th or 12th hour it dropped down to 99%.
    Now since I jailbroke my phone, when I fully charge the battery it drops to 99% in 2 hours...there is not unwanted or phantom usage time which can be part of this..
    So, which is the proper case between those two?

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I refuse to believe that your iPhone lasted 10 hours on a single charge before dropping ONE percent.

If it did, you shouldn't even be worrying about battery behavior.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ignoring the valid question of what the phone was doing during both "tests" which does make a difference, the only valid comparison I see is what the JB phone says after 11 - 12 hours. If it's say, 86% then you did make a change in behavior. If it's still 99% then you didn't.

To keep the battery in top shape the iPhone charges and discharges around 100%. So you may not be starting from the same amount of charge.

Maybe on standby? ;)

4. Shadowbech, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well it is possible if you don't touch it for 10 hours straight after leaving it off the charger. This happens to mine as well. I fully charge my phone and unplug it before I go to sleep, when I wake up it is still at 100% charge (not that I sleep for 10 hours, but when I wake up I check my phone 2-3 hours later and still at 100%). Not to mention that I do have wi-fi on, Airplane mode OFF.

And yes OP probably meant 10 hours on standby, because there is no way that your Usage can be 10 hours and still be at 100%.

5. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I was talking about idle time in both cases.
    Yesterday when it dropped to 98% in 3 hours on idle I did a hard reset to my phone and the battery's percentage came back to 100% and stayed like this till 8h this morning?!? (on Idle)
    I don't know what is going on..

6. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If you're not seeing any battery degradation overnight or during the day while idle, something is either wrong or you have every possible service turned off (wifi, bt, cellular, etc).

At the same time, I'm not sure how you can NOT use your phone during the day, at all. That too just seems foreign to me, given I find it hard not to take a call, read an email, browse the web, etc at some point day and night.

7. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

No, there's probably a problem with how your phone is reading it's battery voltage.

At night I put my phone on airplane mode (cause I don't need it blasting radio waves 2 feet away from my head on my nightstand every night and to make sure the battery doesn't die overnight and I lose my alarm the next morning), and even in airplane mode it drops 2-3% overnight. Dropping just 1% in a day would be a problem.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You can't be seriously worried about your battery based on the above "tests". Can you?

The battery meter is just an approximate gauge of where your battery status. It is not dead on accurate. So a fluctuation in percentage at any given time is totally normal. And when your battery is on a charger, and at 100%, it cycles up and down, on and off, while it's sitting there.

Please stop with these OCD questions. Does your phone last all day with moderate usage? If so you have no battery problems.

9. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, guys!
    Sorry if I wasted your time
    I will try to ignore this "problem".