Is this normal during a phone call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

I was on a call for 53 minutes and my battery percentage went down from 100 to 80% is this normal or about the average.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

With those stats, one hour would equate to roughly 13% battery, rounded up. You lost an extra 7%. There are other variables, such as cellular signal strength, whether you were receiving notifications in the background, etc.

3. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

I know from being on here apple stats are wrong just wanted to see how other peoples phone were.

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

That's why if I am going to be on the phone for a while I will switch to EDGE, much easier on the battery.

5. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

By wrong I mean they are only done in ideal locations.

----------

No edge on sprint 4s.

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

Sprint doesn't have edge ?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Edge is a GSM technology.

----------

Even a comparison to others isn't going to be a good one as you didn't really say anything about what you reception was like and what else your phone was doing in the background. In short, if your reception is poor and/or you were getting pushed emails and other notifications I would say your battery life is fine.

Also, were you using a bluetooth headset? A corded headset? Were you on wifi?

8. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'd say your stats are worse than average then.

10. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess I'm just go have to deal with it then this sucks.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why? Do you generally talk on the phone for over 5 hours a day without a way of charging if needed?

Perhaps you're a bike messenger in a city?

12. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

No the max is about 2 hours lol and yeah I was just curious because I was talking for almost an hour and drop down from 100 to 80.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would still watch your battery stats. A one time occurrence isn't necessarily indicative of poor battery performance.

14. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this happens all the time maybe it's the sprint network.

15. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why? What do you want to hear?

Considering you didn't have peak signal, you won't get what Apple claims and, if you were on WiFi with ANY app running in the background fetching email, location services, or anything else, you could expect even lower times.

All things considered, I don't see how (roughly) 5 hours of talk time is unreasonable on a single charge.

17. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

18. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. In an area where there is 5 bars of 3G would probably save more battery than the same area with only 1-2 bars of EDGE. Especially if you're moving around.

19. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I almost always have 5 bars on EDGE at my home, 3G inside my house is hit or miss usually at 1-2 bars if that so I typically get much better talk time and reliability on EDGE. Granted cellphone service in my home is terrible on either AT&T and Verizon, it's a huge deadzone however if I go outside of my house I get 5 bars on 3G so not much I can do. :p

20. macbookflasher macrumors member

macbookflasher

Is this normal during a phone call

This is normal but it also depends on the loudspeaker call and simple call :)

21. JAT macrumors 603

It's about reception. I just spent a week at a camp pretty far from major cities or highways. Just on the edge of any signal area. Made zero phone calls, but had it with me, turned on, charged to full each night.

One day I left the phone in airplane mode all day. Battery was in the 90s at 5pm.

Another day I left it in normal mode. From 7am to 9pm I dropped to under 10% battery with zero calls or data usage. This was for the phone constantly swapping (trying to) between bad 3G signal and bad 2G signal on Verizon. Every now and then I would see it found enough signal to receive notice of emails. I think one or two people did call or text that day, but I had no signal to receive, just got notice later. I could almost watch the battery % drop just by staring at the home screen.

Very little usage of any kind both days since there was no real signal and we were busy with non-electronic activities, mainly just checking the time on the lock screen.

Oh, I have a 4 on Verizon.