Is this Normal? What's wrong with my camera??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rami98, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Rami98, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Rami98 macrumors member

Man, my iPhone 4S has had a lot of problems. The back creaking, bad battery life, this camera issue, and a bright spot on the screen. But onto the camera problem. There is a little rectangle plastic washer that you can only see if you remove the back. It surrounds the camera under the back covering. It can be seen here in this ifixit photo in step 7 (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4S-Teardown/6610/1). I believe that because my iPhone usually gets so hot with little use (the new 5.1 update addressed the issue to a certain extent), it actually heated the glue and let the plastic washer move out of place. I have never dropped it, so that couldn't be a cause. I will post pictures soon when I get on my other computer to put in my camera's XD card (not SD). Should i go to apple? Because it's not yet affecting my pictures but it looks like it soon will be because it has slowly been inching closer and closer to the lens day by day. It almost looks like a robot eye that's getting sleepy, that's how i can describe it. But should I go to apple?

Edit: Here's a picture. Keep in mind that this first picture is from a month ago (2/18). It has gotten much worse now. I will add current pictures in a second.

Edit 2: Here is a picture i just took right now. See how much it has progressed? (it is the second picture)

Attached Files:

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

lol - I was going to say "sleepy eye". And yes, go to Apple ASAP.

3. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

It's just a "cushion" ring that you normally can't see. It just seems to of slid a little. Take it to Apple store, they'll move it back over in 2min

4. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

Ok here's 3 things.

1) I've scheduled an appointment with my local Geniuses for tomorrow afternoon

2) Why would they need a cushion ring? What is the point of it?

3) Has anybody else had this problem?

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've got a black 4S but also have a white back for it that I switch to from time to time (so I've had the back of the phone off multiple times). I've noticed that cushion moving down (towards the bottom of the phone), though it hasn't gotten bad enough to be seen through the camera cover.

It's definitely glued in place because when I've tried to push it back up, it won't move. So yeah, I think you're right when you say the phone heating up is causing the glue to become pliable and let this cover move. I'm not sure how to fix it (and I'm not sure how a Genius would either). It's not as simple as just scooting it back to it's original position, as the glue is "set". And trying to heat that area up, even a little, isn't my idea of a good time.

I'd like to know what the outcome of your visit to the Genius Bar is.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That's just the foam gasket to keep debris clear between the lens and your back plate. (also keeps stray light from the LED from flaring the optics)

They're usually just adhered into place with tape on one side. From time to time, either there is some contamination on the part, which affects the adhesive, or it was never pressed down firmly to begin with.

Also, when the back cover is installed / removed it "grabs" the foam, and it'll walk that ring a bit. (but usually it will slide back after a while)

If genius bar gives you hassle, just DIY, super easy thing to fix if you're brave enough. :)

7. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

Went to apple store, genius fixed it in a couple minutes and after i complained about the back creaking too which it does, he offered to switch out the back but i have a zagg on it so i will think about it first. Overall, these geniuses have really good service, and if anyone else has this problem, go straight to an apple store. They will fix it in 5 mins while you wait. :D

8. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

I still want to know if anybody else has had this problem?

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Zagg will replace your covers. Just remove and send them in before you change out your 4S.