Is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by war eagle, Mar 25, 2012.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I went out downtown and was taking pictures of different things or what not. I arrived downtown around 1 PM And began taking pictures (iPhone 4S). I took around 150 so pictures using camera+ and two with hipstamatic. I was listening to music as well. Aside from 2 foursquare check ins, I had my phone off. As in 3G and edge data off. I noticed a serious battery drainage so I put the phone in airplane mode. Didn't help at all.

At 4:20 my iPhone was dead. 0%. I started my journey at 92% around 12:40 and listened to three songs before I got off the train also.

I just want to know if this is normal for it to die so quickly because I was taking pictures? Also over night I went to sleep at 88% charge, woke up with 66.
    iOS 5.01 iPhone 4S.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It doesn't sound normal, but then, 150 photos is quite a lot.

3. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

nooo..particularly the drop from 88 to 66 overnight in standby mode(assuming wifi, 3g off)

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Maybe try upgrading to 5.1, it allegedly fixes some battery issues.

5. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

idk.. i just thought about a couple of weeks ago and i took over 300 and my battery went no where. i don't know why the sudden change.

6. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Just because other people have the issue doesn't make it "normal" mine doesn't drain nearly that much over night.

7. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

i have an iphone 4 on ios 5.1..battery drops 2-5% overnight for a period of approx 6-9 hours( i switch off wifi, 3g etc.)

8. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Probably location services trying to get a constant GPS fix.

9. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Maybe when you took 300 pictures you had better reception than when you took 150. Battery life is greatly affected by signal and gps. Try a reset network settings maybe towers near you have been modified.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It could be that one of your app was running in the background. You did mentioned you used foursquare app to check in and it is possible that foursquare app didn't close properly when you exit the app.

Also if you have location service turned on for your pictures, that could also explain it.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you had geotagging enabled then it wouldn't be unusual.

Just because your experience differs doesn't mean that it's normal. If enough people have the same issue it is normal. You don't seem to understand the definition of the word. Normal is relative to whatever the standard happens to be -- in this context the standard would be whatever the majority experiences. The experiences of a group is more in line with normal than the experience of one individual.

12. cynics macrumors G3

Like mentioned, camera+ has geotagging which will use the gps. I don't know if that would affect the battery that much or not.

13. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I actually understand quite well what normal means perhaps you don't however. Unless you've taken a survey or done a case study or have specs from apple that cite dropping that amount over night is normal.