Is this possible: 1 partision of my iMac HD and an External Hard drive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac1212, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Mac1212 macrumors member

Hey guys, im wonering if it is possible to make 1 partision of my iMac 1TB hd and a external Hard drive. The reason i'm asking is because i'm streaming TVshows from my mac and i would like to all my Shows in 1 folder , so i don't have to look for a show on my mac and my external hard drive, i want everything on my mac HD. I know i'm explaining it kinda weird, but please try to understand.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

HFS+ does not allow partitions to span drives (physical volumes). ZFS would allow it, but apple dropped development due to licensing issues. At the moment, you're limited to partitions that do not span drives.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Not sure if this is what you mean... I had my 1Tb external and my 1Tb internal RAID'ed into one drive... you can I think choose mirrored or striped...

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

A RAID of 2 1tb drives only yields 1tb of storage, right?
    The OP is talking of 500GB internal + 1TB external into a 1.5TB drive.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I used RAID to make each 1Tb drive equal a larger 2Tb... for speed... sadly not safety...

I know of no way to have 1 and .5 equal 1.5 but I am no judge of all known knowledge... also sadly....;)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you have 2 1TB drives in a striped RAID, then you get 2 TB storage. I was thinking you were doing a mirrored RAID, which would only get you 1TB storage.

So I suppose you could set up a RAID striped, but I doubt you could do it with the system already running; you'd probably need to set up the raid first then re-install everything. Also if you do this, if the USB drive dies, your whole system cannot boot. If the external HD is USB, it would be slower than the internal drive, which would lead to some strange performance issues.