Is this possible, or am I way off base here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. shortman macrumors member

I currently have 2 phones on my plan, both unlimited data and neither are ready for an upgrade. I paid full price for an iPhone for me, and for my wife I am wondering if I can do the following.

Buy an iPhone on launch day as if I am adding it to my plan as a new phone and pay the $199 for it. Then after a day transfer the new iphone to my wifes line and throw a dumb phone on that line. therefore I don't have to pay data for that phone since it is not needed on a dumb phone and it will just tag on top of my current 700/month talk plan and only cost me $10 for a new line?

Am I base here, if not can you please correct me?

Thanks !

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Walk in and tell them what you want: To purchase a family plan line (ghost line) for $9.99 and place that qualified upgrade on your line, thus giving you the iPhone5 for $199. and a non-smartline sim.

No reason to try and workaround as AT&T doesn't care what you do with the added line.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I did this with the 4S and now have an upgrade to use every year. It will work.

4. shortman thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else know anything about this? I want to be sure!

Thanks!

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, this has been discussed often over the past few days. You just pay the $10 per month on the other line, plus taxes.

(luckily, most people make their title more descriptive so you can find it)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. shortman thread starter macrumors member

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You have your answers. Move along and do it already. The people answering you have been here a long time. Trust.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And, if you do not like the answers in this thread, read the few dozen others with hundreds, if not thousands of answers already posted.

As said, time to move along.

10. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I'm doing just that with the exception of not even having a 2nd phone.I believe Retentions called it a "Dummy" line.