Is this program = to an associates degree and is the transfer credit worth it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Mar 14, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

http://www.siast.sk.ca/programs_courses_descriptions/ADCDIP.shtml

Length: 65 weeks

Year 1 - 32 weeks (on campus); Year 2 - 33 weeks (14 weeks at practicum locations)

Transfer Credit and Future Study Options

The program is recognized through a block credit transfer of 60 credit units with Athabasca University's Bachelor of Professional Arts, Human Services major.

13 credit hours of transfer credit are recognized through the University of Regina's Faculty of Social Work.

Transfer is considered on an individual basis with the University of Lethbridge's Health and Sciences Faculty, Addictions Counselling Program.

I am looking at the 13 credit hours of transfer credit to the U of R for Social Work, are the 13 credit hours pretty much useless?

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Get a BA or BS. It is pretty much required in today's economy.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Not useless, but why take two years of classes to only transfer 13? Do you want this degree first for some reason? I suppose if you need an associates degree for a job or something while you finish up the rest of school, it sort of makes sense.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So I can be accepted into University, and I always thought that a diploma/ associates degree is a plus when added to a degree.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The real world is looking for a Bachelors of some sort. Associates degrees really aren't hard to get. It won't look bad but it's probably not worth going out of your way for.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I went ahead and got an associates, but, the only reason I did was because I could without changing anything towards my other degree. In other words, once I hit 60 hours I got a thing in the mail that said "fill this out for an associates of science" (I had the required classes) so I did.

I wouldn't go out of the way to get 60 hours for an AS or AA if only 13 hours will be applied towards your other degree.

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

why don't you just go to a college and get a university transfer credit Associate ?

That way you will have a much more useful degree and better chance of making it into university.
    13 credits is one semester so don't bother wasting 2 years for that

I worked as a peer advisor for 5 years and as a advisor for 3 at three different colleges/universities.

The college will most likely make you take high school = courses, but those are generally free.