Is this rare? My macbook pro is brushed aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SellYourMacBook, Nov 7, 2012.

1. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I've stumbled upon a few macbooks like this, and I was curious on how many of you guys have the same brushed aluminum like finish on your macbook pro.

I've attached a high res picture so you guys can see what im talking about...

[​IMG]

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

4. Macral macrumors member

Both of my rMBP 13" and 15" have similar finish on the bottom part.

5. Kafka macrumors 6502

My late 2011 MBP 13" is like that. I also noticed when I swapped the RAM modules that the back plate is thinner and bends way easier compared to my former early 2011 MBP 13". Like "dong-dong" instead of "tap-tap" when hitting it with a knuckle.

6. markus843 macrumors regular

Mines not like that at all, although I wish it was :apple:

7. SellYourMacBook thread starter macrumors member

Do you have any pics? It's a interesting anomaly and I'm curious how your mac will compare.

8. Kafka macrumors 6502

My mother has it at the moment, I'm trying to see if she can adjust to OS X (doesn't seem like it). I'll take a pic later this week when I go see her.

9. ressac macrumors member

my screen broke and they replaced it on such as on the photo
    but i don't like it because it left fingerprints and i just don't like this way of aluminium

and in the end it looks like HP or Asus .... old style:apple: likes me more

10. GoPro macrumors member

My early 2011 model is like that. I always assumed it was because I cleaned it a lot with a cloth, its only noticable under a bright light or at a certain angle :D

11. ressac macrumors member

only a screen shell or even bottom shell?

12. osxlovers macrumors newbie

Wow that's nice, I want one like this. Where did you buy? My Retina Macbook Pro is different

13. Mdwall macrumors member

14. osxlovers, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

osxlovers macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro Retina just look like this

[​IMG]

I envy with you!!!

----------

No it looks real, I don't think it's a cover/skin

15. ressac macrumors member

16. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I had the top clamshell of my 2008 Macbook replaced in about 2010 by apple, and it had this "brushed aluminum look"! I think it looks pretty cool.

17. Barna Biro, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

My guts tell me this has a business / financial decision behind it than anything else... It might happen that during manufacturing, certain parts end up having some imperfections ( scratches or whatever ) that if sold in that state, would most likely be returned by buyers within the first 14 days period. So, instead of wasting money on shipping it or ditching / recycling the affected component ( and knowing that chances are high it will be returned by the customer anyway ), they just put it trough a brushing process... problematic part -> same part without previous problem and a slightly altered look that most people either ignore or perceive as something "cool" / "unique" ( extremely few customers - if any - are going to send the product back because "it was brushed" ).

It could also happen that refurbished / damaged models / components that have scratches are given this brushing treatment and are resold after than ditched / recycled. It could also happen that the product gets slightly damaged / scratched during shipping or whatever, but nothing that some brushing can't fix once ( if ) the customer returns it and then it's resold ( minimum effort and money investment from Apple ).

It's a quite ingenious business strategy if you ask me...

18. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502