Is this self segregation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, May 13, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

2. darksithpro macrumors regular

Perhaps they're trying to make a point that a Black person can achieve as much as a white person if they put their mind to it, and they would be correct. Rather than segregate themselves though it would be more effective if they came out and spoke to the Black and Hispanic youth, that they too can accomplish their dreams if they focus on Academia and stay away from the drugs and gangs.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are you implying that white people don't do drugs?

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'm implying there's a disproportional majority of Black and Hispanic youth compared to Whites and Asians that are caught up in poverty, gangs and drugs in the inner cities.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So how do you propose to fix this issue.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Last line of the article:
    "Huggins added that students attending the event will also attend the university’s official commencement on May 25."

In other words, it's just a private graduation gathering to highlight the achievements of black students. I don't see anything particularly isolating or segregationist about it.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

By getting those Harvard grads to go to the troubled communities of Chicago, Detroit, and others. Tell them their success stories, to motivate them. Organize though the local school boards to have speaking sessions at the schools assemblies.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And how will we pay for it. Trump and company want to cut funding for college education. You know unless you are a billionaire you should not go to college or succeed.

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

Harvard is a private institution. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could get the Black and Hispanic grads to go to the schools. I doubt it would cost much. Plane tickets, hotel and food allowance shouldn't cost that much. If the Democrats could Organize something like that I bet SEVERAL companies, including powerful tech companies like Google, Apple and Microsoft would donate big bucks, also religious institutions, and other non-profits would also donate.

10. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Higher ed funding comes from state and municipality. Feds are barely involved.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Whatever floats their goat , hard to be equals when you are promoted as special

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

Now that I think about this, the more I see this an an opportunity from a Tech Companies perspective. If I was the CEO of Apple, I would jump on this in a heartbeat. I would gather the Harvard grads and promote Academia speeches, provided by APPLE to the local school assemblies, a message to convey diversity and success. To promote job opportunities at the tech giants.

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm sure no one would have a problem with a whites only celebration or a mens only one so why not.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sexist and racist unless it's a protected class

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm old enough to remember when being racist was about treating people differently not treating them the same.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If they were the same there would just be one commencement ceremony...

17. Macky-Mac, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from the article, there is just one official commencement ceremony for the university. The event in question is a privately organized and funded event that isn't replacing the official event.

My recollection from when I was in school is that it's not unusual for various groups and departments to have their own graduation celebrations in addition to the school's official commencement.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So they get TWO ceremonies instead of one? Why are they discriminating against the rest?.....

19. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Based on race??

20. Macky-Mac, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's basically a private party.......are you against parties to celebrate when kids graduate from college? Just wait til your kids graduate and see what happens when you tell them they can't celebrate :D

My recollection is that whatever the asian student organization was called had an event, so did the history department for its grad student.....no doubt there were others too

edit; despite the title Fox New put on the article, this isn't a separate event that replaces the university's commencement event, it's just a privately funded graduation celebration.....as the article says;

21. niploteksi macrumors regular

I think Macnut was asking how the collages should be funded.

EDIT: Or maybe not.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Based on race.....

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I suppose you could go demonstrate against it if blacks celebrating that they're graduating bothers you.......the article says the event is open to all who want to attend

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How can most people never mind those in the inner city afford a higher education when they are priced out. The cycle will continue until we make higher education accessible to everyone.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Deflection noted. .....funny you don't see the irony