Is this simply a typo or is Apple planning to release iPads with 3D Touch soon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by myrtlebee, Nov 17, 2016.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Not jumping to conclusions, but while browsing the holiday gifts for children on Apple's website, this product that is sold only at Apple has a section in its decription stating: "You can press more deeply on the screen of your iPhone or iPad with 3D TOUCH to squish and stretch your creations." Could this be hinting at all that Apple may release new iPad Pros before the holiday season is over?

IMG_2347.PNG IMG_2348.PNG

2. craig1024 macrumors regular

It's probably a mistake but it could be referring to the Apple Pencil which can do 3D Touch

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I actually did not know that the Pencil brought 3D Touch to the iPad - thank you. I've been saving to purchase an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil for a while and just wanted to be sure there's no chance of a release earlier than next year.

4. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

What? How?

5. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

The Apple Pencil did not bring any 3D Touch features to the iPad. (There was one feature during the betas but it was removed.)

6. gobikerider macrumors 68020

gobikerider

I think that's a typo and it can just change based on how you touch the screen with that program. 3D Touch on iPad would be so expensive for the consumer.

7. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Hmm ... okay. Now pretty confused as to whether the Apple Pencil supports 3D Touch features. I'm inclined to believe not based on feedback here and the fact that this is the first time I've heard it, but if Apple indeed gave that functionality (partly) in an iOS beta maybe there is hope that it will be implemented that way in the future. It's hard to imagine how 3D Touch could work with iPad Pro 12.9" if Apple wants to give the same experience with haptic feedback as it does on iPhone - it would probably have to have 4 or 5 Taptic Engines to give sufficient feedback that covers the whole screen, but I imagine Apple would rather not give up that kind of internal space for it. Guess we will find out eventually.

8. craig1024 macrumors regular

Sorry maybe the Apple Pencil doesn't have 3D Touch although I was certain it did
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    It was in an early beta and a jailbreak I was confused.

9. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

3D Touch is a "must have" for me to upgrade to my next iPad. It's frustrating to go from my iPhone 6s+ which has it, to my Air. I keep pushing hard into the screen by mistake.

10. jumpingjackflash macrumors regular

IMO, Im pretty comfident that 3D touch will come to iPad next year. And im hoping they have added a whole new features to it.

11. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I had something to say about this, but then I saw the Play-Doh and I forgot how to think. I just have no words. I'm begging for an explanation but I'm actually a little afraid to know why.