Is this the adapter I need for sound on new iMac via optical?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Apple says this on its site:

iMac Specs
    Stereo speakers
    Dual microphones
    Headphone port
    Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

So, if you want to output the sound to your Onkyo then that's what you should get, + optical cable off course.

3. Arman macrumors regular

4. bobright, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hey guys, got a question when this wire is hooked up does it disable sound out of the iMacs speakers? I hope I can just change what output rather then have to unplug the wire every time I want to listen to the regular speakers.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sorry but that's the cable and I don't see the headphone plug needed for the iMac's side so I think you are wrong, this is cable only.

It does disable sound AFAIK.
    But you can try this out in Sound Preference Pane.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I want to hook up my new iMac to my onkyo system via optical cable, is this the adapter I need since the iMac has no optical in?"

You need to tell us more about what you want to do.

Do you want to get sound OUT of the iMac and INTO the stereo, via optical?
    Or...
    Do you want to get sound OUT of the stereo and INTO the iMac?

What kind of connections do you have on the Onkyo?

I believe the 2012 iMac has an audio out port that works with both analog and optical cables.

To use it with a standard TOSLINK connecting cable, you would need a "mini adapter", such as this one:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-968

To get digital audio INTO the iMac, I believe you will need some kind of USB-based solution.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

A fiber optic cable is not a wire. They are two very different things.

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hmm was under the impression that's the cable I need if I want to go that route, after reading some reviews on the adapter some folks said it gave off a buzzing hum noise so figure I'd get the entire cable instead. So which "cable" should I get?
    Yes, to the bold my onkyo only takes optical but like I said above which cable would I need if I don't want to use an adapter hoping to find something affordable preferably on monoprice.

Thanks!

9. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

On my 2009 iMac, I use a standard toslink optical cable with the mini adaptor as in the link already provided (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=180-968 )

I output it to Surround sound system with Optical in. When the mini adaptor is plugged into headphone socket on the iMac it disables the internal speakers, and you can't select them with the adaptor, or headphones plugged in. I have no problems with any sort of hiss or humming on the sound output. Plan on using the same setup with my new iMac ;)

10. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I used this cable to feed digital audio from a 24" iMac to a Denon reciever years ago. It was a 12ft cable, they sell longer and short ones too.

No buzzing, but no way to enable internal speakers. Also, if I recall, no way to use the volume control keys either.

The mini tos link end is fragile so be careful. Also when it plugs in, it doesn't "click" in like most analog cables do, it sort of just goes in and stays. So don't mess with it much or you'll break it like I did. Thankfull it was only a few bucks.

Good luck!

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You need a toslink cable and adapter, the link for the cable did not show the adapter that's why I said no, you also did not mention you need a cable but I also said in a former post as a aside you need the adapter AND a cable.
    Also, you did not mention if it was for input or output but in my first post I gave you the data from Apple which says it is output only.
    But, I was also pretty sure you needed audio output TO the Onkyo since you later asked about volume control.

What others said I said, you need a Toslink cable + Adapter, some of them include them.
    That's it

12. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

My bad for the confusion, already had a optical cable so just wanted the adapter initially, then after reading there a was a buzz noise with some folks using the adapter figured I'll just get the cable instead. So I'll get the one linked above your post but 6ft as that's all I need.

Cheers!!