Is this the beginning of the war of mobile platforms?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gizabo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. gizabo macrumors regular

As you see, there are a lot of different platforms. Windows Mobile, Palm, Blackberry mobile os, those phones with their crappy own os, android and of course, the iPhone os.

Do you think this is like the times when Personal computers just started to apear? Remember how there was windows, machintosh, atari, IBM, Xerox, and all those other companies making operating systems... Well do you think thats happening now with the mobile market? You are starting to see those one phone OS's disapear, and big ones apear...

And if you think this is happening who will win?
    Apple will definatly not... They Will only licence the OS to apple phones.. And will probably never have more than one version of the iphone out at a time...
    (not saying that the mac mobile OS wont be successful)

Im betting on windows, andriod, and Blackberry
    what about you?

2. The Governor macrumors regular

You forgot symbian.

Aside from the iphone and android on your list, all of those mobile OSs have been around for awhile. But I do think some will cease to exist (palm).

3. aok1975 macrumors 6502

palm is on it's last leg. I rember when palm was the big dog. The treo 600 really revolutionized the phone/pda convergence. The pre is hot stuff and will do well. If it works as it looks I will have no problem ditching my iphone for it. Background apps is too sweet to resist.

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I think Windows Mobile might make a comeback one of these days

5. gizabo thread starter macrumors regular

Not ready to ditch the iphone.... Even tho freaking apple is leaving me in the dust with no MMS support for 1gen users like myself :'(

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

With the abundance of cell phones (more than a billion worldwide) and the Internet allowing software sharing and distribution, there's room for everybody. BlackBerry and iPhone are probably going to sit on top, maybe challenged by Microsoft and Android, but I don't think you'll see one dominant OS. I think it's good to have the iPhone, which is what I like the best, and the BlackBerry, which has a huge following, so we don't basically have MICROSOFT and itty bitty Apple like we did with PCs.

7. ajthomason macrumors 6502

That hasn't stopped them dominating the music market with the iPod.

I am pretty sure that there will be only one winner and that is the iPhone; Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is a good thing, it is just the way that it seems to be going - more and more people (not counting hardcore business users, just ordinary people) who are looking to buy a new phone are going straight to the iPhone because everything else now seems to be second best. I know people who would never have dreamt of spending £30/mo on a contract (myself included) until the iPhone was released, and now they are more than happy to part with the cash.

The won the war on personal music players, and now they will win the war on mobile phones - it's simple, instead of having a good phone compared to someone else, it will just be that you either have an iPhone or you have some 'other' phone.

Think about it, if you have an MP3 player, you either have an iPod or you have something else, regardless of the features it has it will always be second best to the iPod in most peoples eyes. (Please don't flame me, this is my opinion and not necessarily yours. I repeat - I am not saying that I agree with this, but it is just the way things seem to be.)

8. ZunePod macrumors regular

I think the iPhoneOS will become dominant and be included in some mobile tablets, although I'd rather have the userbility of Leopard on a tablet.

You're correct about certain ones getting worse and/or ceasing to exist.