Is this the lowest expectations have ever been prior to an announcement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by utahraptor, Jan 26, 2011.

1. utahraptor macrumors member

I don't ever remember expecting to be let down like this before. I am talking about the no res bump and 1 mp rear camera.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't understand why a lot of people are upset about a 1MP rear camera. 1 MP means nothing, its all about the lens, and 2 who uses an iPad as a still camera? The whole point of a rear camera is going to be for FaceTime and HD video, if someone wants a good camera you buy a camera, who carries around a 1.5LB 10" device to take a quick picture?? I really don't understand it.

3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'm not sure who would actually take pictures with an Ipad, oinly a select few I'm sure. 1MP will do... I would expect a 3MP atleast but whatever. It will work fine, its an Apple product.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed as the 2 posts following the original show.

There is a lot of verbal and metal armour being installed ready for the predicted specs announcement.

It's almost like many people have got their defence into place already ready for the release.

What a change from a few weeks ago.

5. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I really don't get why people are getting so disappointed with a product that hasn't even been announced yet? :confused:

The iPad is an amazing device and millions of owners absolutely love them, so why would the iPad 2 not be the same? If the iPad 2 wasn't due to come out so soon, I'd buy the current one in a heartbeat. Any extra features Apple choose to add I consider to be a bonus on an already brilliant product.

I think the problem is that because the iPad is so 'magical' people are now expecting (or maybe demanding?) the second generation to be completely revolutional and even more magical. It's a shame because there's going to be a lot of people who have got their expectations too high and are going to be hugely disappointed when the iPad 2 is announced and it doesn't have a 5MP camera, SuperHD screen and can't morph into a unicorn.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You can't re-invent the wheel every year. I'm sure the next iPad will be an evolution, not a revolution - an iPad-S, if you like.

7. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Yes, running the same apps as the ipod touch, but with a bigger screen is really magical.

The iPad is crippled and not future proof. We need to see the iPad evolve on the hardware/software side of things and become more useful and productive before it's taken seriously. And yes, I know it's sold millions of units, but fashion and gadget lust sells more than practicality (oooh, angry birds HD!!!).

8. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

-1Mpix camera

-RAM bump

-CPU bump

-Better speaker

Get outta here Apple!!! :p

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yea, you maybe right. iPad and the App store are just fads and will soon fade away like disco and 8-tracks.:rolleyes:

I understand that some people will never be happy, but what I don't understand is why everyone getting their panties in a wad over RUMORS.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm desperately trying not to give into the refresh and update bug...the specs suit me just fine.

Thanks for helping me hold onto some money, Apple!

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't afford one then? Awwwww. Maybe if you save up real hard you'll be able to treat yourself to an iPad2. :)

12. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Exactly. Nothings even been made official and people are already saying its a terrible product :rolleyes:

13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

ill just wait to see what they release before getting excited or dissapointed

14. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i bought and sold two of the first ipads and could not find a use for them. Im hoping the camera is what will make it valuable for me (facetime)

15. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I could have bought one, but it certainly wasn't worth it for me to be able to play angry birds and browse the web on a bigger screen than my iPod touch/smart phone.

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

sorry, this is completely incorrect. If you were talking about a larger sensor camera, the lens absolutely matters.. when talking in terms of tiny cell cameras, the sensor is the big deal.. backlight, etc..

17. Syk macrumors 6502a

I just hope it has auto focus.

I know I use my iphone4 rear camera if I see an article or paper work, I'll take a snap shot of it sort of like a scan.

I can see doing that with the ipad if I had it in my hand and saw something that's I'd like to take a quick shot of for future reference

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As some people have said, on the move image/data entry, esp at work or for work would be a superb use of a rear camera with the ability to focus and have enough resolution to capture text on a normal sheet of paper.

Give the fact we all know the iPad, on it's own is not THE easiest device on the planet to get external data into. Being able to take a photo of a document or artwork or something and instantly email the photo/scan together with some comments in the email back to the office, or to a customer is a great use that I'm sure many, esp to do with their work would find a use for.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Expectations are unusually low because they were unrealistically higher just a few weeks ago when everyone was foaming at the mouth over the prospect of apple using a dual core cpu, and a retina display. Since those have been refuted as unlikely in version 2, people's expectations took a hit.

A 1MP camera is pretty low given the state of technology, and what other features could apple add that would be drool worthy. Not much, so its now a waiting game.

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No. Expectations were often pretty low in the past.

I remember the special press occasion to announce the PowerBook going from 1.5GHz to 1.67GHz.

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Ah but you see, the apps are different. Once you have different UIs designed for the large screen, it completely changes the user experience. This is the point missed by many. On the surface they might look similar, but Apple has added enough elements to the UI so that apps are not just enlarged, but made to fit the bigger screen better in terms of UI. So the bigger screen IS really a game changer in this case.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

And longer battery life, thinner design, gyro. Not enough for me to upgrade.

23. jonhcox macrumors regular

I think you are wrong. Yes, a few people buy it simply because it's an Apple product and thus it's trendy. But that's where your statement leaves truth at the door.

I'd hardly call a device that sells over 7 million, crippled. The math outweighs your assumption. My company is developing an app that will allow our field guys to access our training site, take training courses, assist buyers in purchases and use the iPad as a presentation tool. Why an iPad? Because the OS is easy enough that our sales guys of ALL ages can use. I'm talking from 25-65 years of age. Touch the icon and go. We spent quite a lot of money researching what would be easiest for them to use and use effectively and actually, the iPad won. And not because it was the prettiest. The coming revisions (still rumored) will make it even faster and easier to use. For my company and I can name 3 others that are in the Fortune 500 top 10 doing the same thing, there is A LOT of practicality in the iPad. And I'm not even talking about all the other things it can do. I'm just talking about how easy the OS is to use and how well it integrates with the form factor. "...taken seriously." Dude, there has been more money put into integrating the iPad in to various business applications than you'll make in 5 lifetimes, AND THEY WORK. So I'd shush your pie hole before making any assumptions, as I'm one of the guys that is working on the app and I've seen it work.

The majority of our sales force is hesitant to embrace tech, much less their Blackberry. We tried netbooks. They were largely unreliable and were bulkier to manage. Not counting that, try getting a 55 year old sales guy who runs a territory that brings in 20 million a year to sit down and navigate a complex system- it requires 5 different programs to enter various data into. They lose patience fast. And to a guy that brings that kind of money in, you don't tell him to buck up and deal with it. Give him an iPad with one icon and an app that can do all that he wants to do in 1/8th the time- he's happy. That means he can make more calls and make more money. And that makes him happy and the executives. Why the iPad? Because the interface was the easiest to work with. It's not gadget lust when dealing with a $20 billion dollar company, it's common sense.

24. Mangos86 macrumors member

I don't see the big deal. The screen on the ipad is already great, and the 1mp camera? It will work perfectly for facetime and taking random pictures. Its ridiculous to think people might actually be using an ipad as their primary camera.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As far as I'm aware, not one single person who has said they hope the iPad2 has a good quality camera on the back has ever said this.