Is This the New iPhone’s Touchscreen? -iLounge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modit, Jun 5, 2008.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I just came across this article on Thursday June 5th. It's basically new info that the supplier of the 3G iPhone based in Taiwan shows the first pictures and diagrams of the possibly new OLED screen citing it's superior to old screen with new features as:

- No aging effect (the touch capabilities and screen resolution don't degrade)
    - Waterproof
    - Resistant to high humidities and temperature
    - Come in a decreased screen size of 3.2 inches (old one is 3.5")
    - Another size of 2.8” which could make the case for new iPhone nano

Just 4 more days till we all find the truth ;)

2. kleo macrumors regular

WOO NEW CONTENT W00T! Anyone else notice the 2 additional holes at the top of the panel? :)

But really no way they are changing the size of the screen. And that larger boarder around the right and left sides of the screen is a major downgrade. I say these are from an iPhone knockoff.

3. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Yeah, I see the holes but I find it hard to believe that Apple would "shrink" the screen size. The whole point of the phone is the touchscreen interface.

I agree with one of the posters on the article page, the home button is not centered. It is sitting low on the bottom. I too smell a "clone"

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

There have actually been previous rumor reports stating that the screen might shrink to 3.2", so this is an interesting development.

5. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Yeah, probably a fake. Although they could "shrink" the screen size and maintain the screen resolution I guess, right?

6. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's what it is isn't? As in not knowing up until WWDC. Anyways, remember the photos of the video nano and how everybody came to hate it as the "fat nano"? If apple can convince us with a screen update, 32gb, GPS and make it thinner at the same time, its a great trade of IMO. I hope it's fake myself (smaller screens suck) but in the end, the new stuff is what I'm looking for (maybe not the GPS :rolleyes:).

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Yeah, but that would also shrink the touchable areas on the touchscreen. I mean, sure, it could display the full virtual keyboard exactly as it is now, but it'd be harder for the user to touch the keys they wanted. Apple could still do it, but they'd have to figure out a solution to the input problem. Like, maybe the small one would be an iPod Touch Nano with its own special interface or something, and not compatible with the App Store.

8. impact_blue macrumors regular

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There are many Windows Mobile touch keyboard versions that run on 2.8" screens.

Since some of them were inspired by the iPhone, Apple should return the favor and steal some of their concepts. For example, showing a magnified view of all the keys that surround the one you're hitting, aids in knowing which way to move since your fingers cover the keys.