Is this the October surprise?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The Pennsylvania Democrat who has sued Sen. Barack Obama demanding he prove his American citizenship – and therefore qualifications to run for the office of president – has confirmed he has a recording of a telephone call from the senator's paternal grandmother confirming his birth in Kenya.

The issue of Obama's birthplace, which he states is Honolulu in 1961, has been raised enough times that his campaign website has posted an image purporting to be of his "Certification of Live Birth" from Hawaii.

Read entire article at link and comment...

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=78931

Now I have been planning on voting for Obama, however this has me very concerned. I want to know the truth. If he was really born in Hawaii like he says then release all the documents.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Rest easy.

BTW, McCain was born in Panama.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Has Mccain thought about using Van Halens song at rallies? mayb that would pump up the crowds instead of relying on smears.

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    well the WND pretty much discredits the whole issue on another earlier published page linked within the piece....

here tis

so why would the WND publish an accusation that they already reported in august to be bogus? i have my opinion...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Van Halen is already pissed at McCain for using their song "Right Now" without permission. I'm guessing they wouldn't be any happier to hear him appropriate "Panama".

And they're not the only artists either. McCain apparently only believes in capitalism when it benefits him. Otherwise he feels that everyone else's labor is his for the taking. What's that called again? Oh yeah... communism. ;)

Oh, and to the OP... when you see an Obama smear on WorldNutDaily, don't take it too seriously.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Um, all the documents? You mean the one document that says where someone is born? Obama's already released his birth certificate. What's the issue? :confused:

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Don't you think that the CIA or FBI or other official or unofficial government entity hasn't looked into this?

wnd is so incredibly biased it's not even funny. If you take them seriously, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying...

This is a non-starter.

8. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yeah I have already read all of that and it does look like a valid copy plus an official from Hawaii did confirm it is valid. Questions will remain however and I think if somehow this blows wide open before the 4th, it will cause a lot of people to rethink their decision. I was committed to voting for Obama, but I will be watching the legal developments in this case before I blacken in that oval.

Just do a Google search for Obama Birth Certificate there is a whole lot of new activity on this in the past 24 hours. There is even a person claiming now that the reason he won't release the actual long copy from the state is because Barack Obama, Sr. is not really his father. Frank Marshall Davis, Jr. is.

http://www.pr-inside.com/barack-obama-is-not-barack-obama-r875991.htm

All the Conservative Radio hosts are now picking up on this and saying the real reason he is going to visit his sick grandma in Hawaii is because he is trying to fix this issue.

Oh I would agree with that and I would add the NSA would also be all over it, however this could fuel a fire very close to an election.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If this is true then i belive this belongs in the "republicans new low" thread.

Seriously, no one gets even remotely this far into a presidential race without the government making 100% sure they meet the requirements in the constitution.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think there is any merit to this at all. If he really wasn't eligible to run for President, it would have come out a long time ago. I really doubt Hillary and the rest of the Democrats that ran in the primary would have just let that slide.

11. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Here is a link to all the Conservative radio people that have picked up on it over the past 24 hours. I know these people are "blow hards" however I think this is what they are going to use as the "Ultimate Smear" If you can make people question their choice you can turn an election. I NEVER listen to these people, but this time they do have me questioning things a little bit. Now my state is going to go for McCain anyhow, so my vote doesn't mean much, however I just want to make sure I am actually voting for someone who is qualified to be our POTUS. I also agree that there is no way that the FBI, CIA and NSA would have ever let him get this far if he was a fraud. So I don't know.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200810230020

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

He's released more documentation on this than Palin did when the vicious rumor that Trig was Bristol's baby was started. Should we restart that rumor?

There is no way Obama could get this far without meeting the Constitutional requirements for President. Do you remember the end of the primaries and how nasty things got there? Clinton would have been all over this if there were even an ounce of truth in any of the claims.

This is pure desperation and fear mongering.

If you agree that there's no way Obama could have gotten this far as a fraud then you know, there shouldn't even be a question.

13. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Are you waiting to fill in the oval, or do you agree the NSA would be all over this?

I have never heard of a "vault" birth certificate that this guy you linked refers to. If someone asks me for my birth certificate, I give them a certified copy from whatever year, with a raised seal. If the certified copy isn't a forgery, is he trying to imply it's a conspiracy with officials in HAwaii, that's been going on for decades? And he even says Obama feels ambivalence towards his mother and grandmother because they deprived him of his real father (I'm sorry I gave this idiot a hit). I've never seen any evidence of ambivalence. I've never heard anything but respect, gratitude and love when he's talked about his grandmother, for example.

Yes, there's a lot of activity about this. McCain is down by double digits nationally in some polls. That's not just an electoral college landslide, that's a popular vote landslide (I don't believe it will end at double digits ahead, but it looks grave for McCain)

14. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I believe most states do have a long copy of your birth certificate. I know I have one that is in Pierre, SD, however whenever I have needed one I just get a certified copy from my county at the courthouse. Like I said, in SD as a Democrat my vote isn't going to make a difference, however I vote for our statewide and local races which do. I am just going to be watching this case with some interest. I am still planning on voting for Obama, however these questions don't give me a warm fuzzy.

The logical common sense side of me says there is no way that a person would ever get this far without being vetted 100%, however there is always that "what if" side of me too. Maybe I am the only person in the world like that, but I guess that is how I am.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think abercrombieboy is looking for an excuse not to vote for Obama.

There's nothing new about 11th hour smear campaigns and I'd love to see whose fingerprints this one is smeared with.

16. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I guess I did not realize that you have to be 100% behind Obama to be able to voice your opinion around here. In fact I probably would have voted for McCain if he would have picked someone decent for VP. I WILL NOT support him because I cannot stand Palin and do not want her ending up as President. If I don't vote for Obama I will find someone else down the ballot even though it will be a throw away vote.

My main motivation in going to the polls this year is to see that Senator Johnson and Rep. Herseth Sandlin are re-elected.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just dont understand how something so baseless (that youve admitted you know has no truth to it) can have you making second thoughts? This is what the GOP does, outrageous and simply stupid allegations. How they sway anyone with this crap is beyond me.

18. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't feel a warm fuzzy either, that people are still making these outrageous claims, and using his trip to visit his dying grandmother as the excuse for it.

Like factcheck.org says:

"Of course, it's distantly possible that Obama's grandparents may have planted the announcement just in case their grandson needed to prove his U.S. citizenship in order to run for president someday. We suggest that those who choose to go down that path should first equip themselves with a high-quality tinfoil hat. The evidence is clear: Barack Obama was born in the U.S.A."

19. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I guess it has given me some second thoughts and maybe I am the only person that ever has those. I like knowing exactly who I am voting for. Like I said before when I cast my vote for Sen. Johnson or Rep. Herseth Sandlin I know exactly where those people came from. I can vote for McCain and know exactly where he came from, but I won't because I am not sure what planet Palin came from.

The first Presidential election I voted in was 1996. I voted for Clinton, 2000 voted for Gore, 2004 voted for Kerry, so yes I have been committed to the Democratic tickets. I voted for Obama over Clinton in the SD primary this year as well.

I have voted for Republicans for Governor over the years and a few local races, however I think you can see by my record I am not a person just saying I support Democrats to change other people opinions.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've done enough genealogical research in the past few years to be able to say with some certainty, that there's no way he would be able to get away with this.

Let's look at this scenario.

Whatever airline they flew from Kenya, back to the US has records of who was on board. There are of course no direct flights from Kenya to the US, they would have had to transit Europe, probably London. It's very possible that Obama's father would have needed a visa. Not only could they not fly direct from Kenya to the US, they also had to fly to Hawaii. In 1961 that trip would have taken probably three or four or five days. Who would do that with a newborn?

By the 1960s, the paper trail for such events was pretty solid. The state department would have all records pertaining to such a trip as well as the airlines and any countries that they transited en route. It's not unconceivable that there are people still alive who were friends, neighbors or coworkers of the Dunhams. A black baby born to a white mother was still somewhat of a rarity in 1961 and even ILLEGAL in some US states. This is something that people simply don't forget.

Did Obama's mother somehow know that her son would someday run for POTUS and race back so that her son's birth would be registered in the USA? I doubt it.

Look beyond the character attacks and into the cold hard facts.

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You do realize that even if he was born in Kenya he could still be President, right? His mother is an American, and so he is too. He could have been born anywhere in the world and it wouldn't matter one whit.

This argument is silly.

22. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I'm still surprised people are stupid enough to fall for it.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just another fear-based discussion..

more on the way I'm sure.

Just VOTE

24. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I guess you do have some pretty good points. I think it will be interesting how far this goes in the last 10+ days though. I think they are going to try and open it up as the biggest smear ever in the history of politics. Time will tell.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why does where they came from play a role in your decision in any way, shape, or form?

Am i wrong to assume voters vote on policy?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.