Is this the right type of hard drive to connect to an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Jan 4, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was looking for a 4TB drive and saw this one and I guess they skipped putting out 5TB drives and went straight to the 6TB ones, so I just wanted to confirm it would work. If I can get a 6TB drive instead of a 4TB I want to.

Does the fact that it is a NAS affect anything?

Thanks.

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No. It just means it's designed to be used in NAS, which tends to be more demanding than a desktop drive. More resilient to vibration as they are often put in multi-bay NAS where each drive is slotted in very close to each other. They also tend to be better at handling heavier accessing than desktop drives.

I have 4 of the 4TB ones in a Thunderbay IV enclosure and 4 x 3TB ones in a RAID5 enclosure, they are superb.

I would also recommend getting a 2nd one to clone the first one on a regular basis as a form of backup.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

What kind of drive are you going to PUT INTO the dock?

Will you be using platter-based HDD's?
    Or will you be using SSD's?

If you're going to be using HDD's, I don't believe a thunderbolt-based dock will provide transfer speeds any faster than would a $25 USB3/SATA docking station.

Actually, you probably wouldn't see speeds much faster even if you used SSD's.

6. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will be putting in a HDD into the dock. I thought thunderbolt or thunderbolt 2 was much faster than usb3 when transferring data?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are... but all three are faster than the drive is capable of so there is not much point in spending the extra money for TB since USB3 can handle the peak transfer rates of the drive anyway.

Take a look at this test.