Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Hello

I was just wondering if an iPad PRO could be the only device for meetings. Currently I use a notepad with my Livescribe 3 pen and my Macbook Pro (or iPad Mini) in meetings. The notepad to write down what I have to do and to remember and the Macbook to read in my emails/Evernote/documents about the subject we are discussing.

Now I like to get the iPad PRO to use it in split screen mode and to have one side to write with the Pencil in Goodnotes or any other app and on the other side to have mail, evernote or another app open.

Do you think that will work?

Kind regards

Michael

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
All the apps you need are there, including Office, only thing is that I don't think the Pencil is intended for writing. There's no handwriting recognition, so I think you're better off with a keyboard.

Maybe there's an app for handwriting recognition though, but I would prefer to type.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
All the apps you need are there, including Office, only thing is that I don't think the Pencil is intended for writing. There's no handwriting recognition, so I think you're better off with a keyboard.

Maybe there's an app for handwriting recognition though, but I would prefer to type.
Well, I bet OneNote will get Pencil support and it allready has pretty excelent hannd writing recognition.

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
This is one of my use cases too - I'd like to take handwritten notes and simple sketches in kind of a free-form way on the iPad, but also have access to reference material in another pane. The Pro ought to do it.

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I hope they make a lined notebook app (does this already exist?) because go through a notebook a month in work and I would love to be able to bring the iPad pro to meetings a scribble my notes in it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think software wise it should be fine, but the real issue would be usability, for writing notes you would want it flat on the table, for typing (even with an external keyboard) you would want it propped up. So two devices would have an advantage in that case...

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

There is a 3rd party keyboard that does handwriting to text. Evernote does OCR for search, as does OneNote, IIRC.

That said, the Pencil can totally be used for writing if you use an app with OCR-like functionality, or don't care. Personally, I use Paper today for notes. I care more about its simple diagramming and sketching tools than I do about being able to search.

I hope they make a lined notebook app (does this already exist?) because go through a notebook a month in work and I would love to be able to bring the iPad pro to meetings a scribble my notes in it.

It does exist in multiple apps. Question seems to be which supports the Pencil first and/or best.

I think software wise it should be fine, but the real issue would be usability, for writing notes you would want it flat on the table, for typing (even with an external keyboard) you would want it propped up. So two devices would have an advantage in that case...

I find using the iPad at a shallow angle is a decent compromise. But I do more sketching of notes than typing of them.

roxette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I was in doubt because on one half of the screen I would like to have palm recognition for a smooth handwriting with the Pencil and on the other half of the screen I woul like to operate the mail apps with my fingers.
So this differentiation in who to interact with the two open apps makes me still a little headache.
But in a few days we hopefully know it better.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.