Is this typical of Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emilberger, Aug 28, 2014.

1. emilberger macrumors newbie

The problem is I have an Iphone4 and an IPad.

they have gotten horrible as I have to reboot at least once a day and they hang and lag badly. Considering this is a larger investment than other options and much worse long term support. And the what appears to be purposeful sabotage of the older systems with non supporting new software.
    I am now forced to look at a new system when what I have was good and should have been perfectly fine.
    So why should I purchase a IPhone 6 if I know the support it lacking and rude and the features like speakers and mike are 2-3 years behind all the others.
    (when my family calls each other on their Iphone 5s it is almost impossible to understand them as their mics are muddled and when I listen on their I5s it is worse as the speaker probably cost a nickle.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you should buy something different and cut ties with Apple

3. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

No it's not, at least in my situation.
    My older iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2 still runs perfectly well, and I use it in Europe when traveling since it's unlocked. While I do have an iPhone 5S, the 4 still works fine. Also I compared the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 in terms of call quality, and the Galaxy was a bit worse, but both were good.

"And the what appears to be purposeful sabotage of the older systems with non supporting new software.
    I am now forced to look at a new system when what I have was good and should have been perfectly fine"

You do realize that the iPhone 4 is over 4 years old right? My 2 year old Galaxy S3 runs much worse than my iPhone, and my LG G2X which I bought when the 4S came out is slower than my little brothers 3GS.
    Also be happy the iPhone 4 even gets iOS 7. Most Android phones only get late updates for about a year, and even Google Edition devices only get updates for about 1.5 years, roughly half what Apple gets.

4. emilberger thread starter macrumors newbie

Please realize I want to stay with Apple desperately. To many good Apps on my Ipad and I like the way everything works together.

Now I am comparing my families 3 Iphone5's and My 2 Iphone4s and two others from a brotherinlaw and a friend

In all cases the Iphone 4's are now in app quality to the Galaxy (original) that I have. Sound quality, connnection - and apps.

The Galaxy used to be lower when trying to start apps and the phone app. now the Iphone 4s are slower. And the Iphone4 locks up for 10-180sec all the time. Phone calling is painful. the reason I left the galaxy for the Iphone.

This is fairly typical and it posted here quite often so I take it as fact that the 4 is not campatable to the point of working well with the new software.

That being said our 5's all have bad sound quality. bad speakerphone and bad mic. Listen over the speakerphone and it makes dogs howl. It is ear piercing and obnoxious. Listen to the phone and callers are muffled and listen from a 4 and the mic on the 5 muffles the voice also.

There are many comments here on the site, on the web and in complaints on Apples site.

So I take that at fact also. I am glad I did not buy the 5 as I leave the room when my wife uses the speakerphone and when she is in the car it drives me crazy.

So no I am going to buy a phone and honestly waiting for the Iphone6. I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake. the current droids out are better than then older Iphone5 and they should be their tech is younger.

I want to make sure the Iphone 6 is not a just a prettier box but a better product with APPLE standing behind that product not behind support in indonesia.

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Call quality can be affected by a lot of factors... I think you should like a few of them. Of course the iphone is not perfect, but I have never had anyone complain about call quality on either my 3g,4,or 5 that is an awful long time to not have anyone ever mention my call quality is bad.

All I am saying is to realize that everyone has a different situation and experience, you make it sound like every iPhone has terrible call quality that good sir is definitely not true.

Also the iphone 4 came out in 2010.. that is an awful long time to have software support with updates to a device, I know my friends Motorola android has not been updated since 2011 :)

6. emilberger thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - that is part of the problem. These issues are posted all over the internet and on this site for the same issue. ZDnet just had a article about the top ten issued that need to be addressed on the Iphone and the speaker and mic were on that list.

So the issue is there and it is well documented. I am a Iphone enthusiast but not a cult member. I want to keep it and go forward.

But if Apple will out-grade the Iphone 5 in six month so you have to buy a seven and if the hardware is not equal to the average.

That is what I am questioning but for I buy a white elephant.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then don't. Cut ties, switch platforms and be done with it.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I can tell you're just one of those people that won't be satisfied with anything or any advice anyone gives you and just enjoy complaining.

You have so many options, pick one and move on.

9. itjw macrumors 65816

Despite Apple being devastated and the top brass losing sleep over you leaving, I still say do it!

Somehow, someway, they will find a way to carry on without you.

It was great having you as a member of the Apple owners club. Thanks for playing, and have a great life!

Byey!

;)

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have a bad feeling you will not be happy no matter what.

Maybe time to move on.

There are no guarantees for anything these days.

11. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

Durr I have 4 year old phone, why is teh phone so slow?

It's 4 years old genius.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

On my families 5s'(that is multiple 5s), the calls are very clear. Not so much between an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. However you have to do what is best for you and your family.

13. emilberger thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - to many children here. Trying to find real constructive information.
    None available.

I appreciate those that said do what is best but there is not a clear path here but that is a good phylosophy.

The others.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Insulting the posters is not going to get you a constructive answer

You have answered your own question if you believe apple hardware is behind the times. Nobody can tell you any different.

If you wait around until 9/9/14 and try the iPhone 6 you will have your answer about which way to proceed.

15. David58117 macrumors 65816

Ha, you should see my galaxy s3 - lags like crazy.

I think that's the nature of old tech...

16. Silverrune macrumors regular

Except on Zippo products, but that is besides the point.

17. stuffradio macrumors 65816

The features are 2-3 years behind because it's 4 years old.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Considering that the majority of Android devices do not get updates to the latest operating systems I think that Apple has done a pretty good job of allowing older devices to upgrade for long as the hardware can reasonably support it. Only 8% of android devices have the ability to run the latest version (KitKat 4.4). The majority of Android devices are still running Jelly Bean (60%) and a significant number are still running Ice Cream Sandwich (14%) and Gingerbread (18%). By comparison 87% of iOS devices were running iOS 7 as of April 2014. The issue here is that each Android device manufacturer needs to put out specific upgrades for individual versions of their hardware. Since Apple controls the hardware and software they are able to provide updates to work with more versions of the iPhone and iPad.

----------

Considering that the majority of Android devices do not get updates to the latest operating systems I think that Apple has done a pretty good job of allowing older devices to upgrade for as the hardware can support it. Only 8% of android devices have the ability to run the latest version (KitKat 4.4). The majority of Android devices are still running Jelly Bean (60%) and a significant number are still running Ice Cream Sandwich (14%) and Gingerbread (18%). By comparison 87% of iOS devices were running iOS 7 as of April 2014. The issue here is that each Android device manufacturer needs to put out specific upgrades for their individual versions of their hardware. Since Apple controls the hardware and software they are able to provide updates to work with more versions of the iPhone and iPad.

19. mytopazjr macrumors newbie

Start a thread on an android forum, see how other platforms are holding up. I dont have much experience myself but the galaxy tab 2 10in in my house (that no one uses anymore) is very laggy compared to the ipad 3, both released at around the same time.

20. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I have no idea why the poster is having such bad sound quality. I've noticed nothing but improvements in sound quality with each successive generation of phone -- and I've had every model since the first one. Currently, there are four 5S's and one 5 in my home. All of them performing as you would expect top of the line phones to perform.

No dog howling (and we have malamutes that will find any excuse to howl), no screeching, no complaints of bad call quality, nothing.

I wonder if the OP's phones are in a hostile environment (super dusty or super humid, phones left in hot cars or pollen filled greenhouses or ... something). I can't think of any reason why he would have a consistently bad experience when all the people I know with iPhones have consistently good experiences.

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I'd say you answered your own question. You think the hardware is **** and the service equally so. No one is holding a gun to your head so don't give your money to Apple anymore. Go buy something else.

22. itjw macrumors 65816

As an "other", I renew my "goodbye".

What else do you want? You hate the product, you hate the service, you call the people wishing you a gracious farewell "children"...

Yet I harbor no such ill will. I want the very best for you, my longtime friend! GO! Go into the waiting arms of the Android!

Enjoy it's cold robotic grasp. Maybe someday (after Apple invents it and Samsung copies it) you will have your satisfaction again!

I will pray for that day.

Goodbye dear friend

23. iBanker macrumors regular

Modern cell phones and tablets are not like old computers in that you can use them for 5-10 years without much performance differences.

Tech is moving forward very quickly right now - if you want to use an older device then don't update the software as it is not built for that device.

24. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Your response is troubling. You list an array of issues you have with Apple and it is then suggested you switch platforms to best suit your needs.
    Why the mockery?
    What is your agenda if truly it is not seeking wisdom and advice from others here?

PS: 'too', not to.

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's a 4 year old phone now. It's time to upgrade.

Newer software doesn't run as smoothly on older hardware. This exact same issue happens on Macs and PCs as well. I'm not sure what you are expecting here, the phone was designed within the costs and component constraints that were present 4 years ago.

There are other options available. Do some shopping around. HTC, Motorola and LG all make good phones.