Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaron.lee2006, Apr 14, 2008.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Don't give me the whole don't drink at all because your underage talk I've heard it before. Is it so wrong to have a drink alone underage? Sometimes I enjoy a beer or two while writing music, is this so wrong?

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Do you write music at 9 in the morning? If no, you're probably okay.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

As long as it's Labatt fitty in a can, alone time is always beer time.

[​IMG]

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its not illegal to drink underage if you do so at home with your parents supplying

5. Draddy macrumors regular

yes it is.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Varies from state to state. EDIT: And OP isn't even in the U.S..

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's okay I suppose, just make sure you don't overdo it.

8. Draddy macrumors regular

I mean what do you want us to tell you? if you say you don't want us to say "don't drink if you're underage" than the only thing left to say is "sure it's okay"?

do you want a moral answer? then if the law says it's illegal, than yes it's bad.

your question doesn't lend itself to a real answer.

9. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree. Also, it is okay for parents to supply in some states.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not in Ontario though, for a 16 year old.

If you are in for the night, composing, I don't see a problem for a couple.

Remember, Quebec has some pretty lax laws regarding wine and children. ;) It's their French heritage.

11. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Nah my parents don't really know but I don't write at like 9 in the morning, more like 7-11 at night. And I've always thought it's okay. I'm actually surprised at most of these responses. Even sometimes on a school night after all my school work and stuff.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Would you be in trouble with your parents if they knew? If so, it doesn't matter what we say.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does this mean we have assuaged your guilt, or we are too hard on you??

If I were your parent, I would prefer finding out about you dirty hidden secret, then to find that you were smoking.

14. Redundancy Pool macrumors newbie

Redundancy Pool

Is it bad? No. Is it dangerous? Yes. What is so bad about smoking underage or gambling underage? It's stupid in most cases and minors are considered more likely to get addicted, but is it bad morally, I don't think so.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Is it wrong, not necessarily. I don't know how old you are (if you said, then i missed it). Drinking underage isn't necessarily bad, as long as your mature about it, and not doing it to get drunk. However, on a school night might not possibly be the best decision.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I had to dig in his past posts, both for his age and sex.

He'll be 17 in July.

17. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

No I definitely don't do it to get drunk, it's relaxing and gets me comfortable when I'm playing. I would never even think of opening a bottle before my schoolwork is done.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not in most countries in the world. Having one or two beers is not going to do any harm at all. Most kids in Europe have a (small) drink with their parents at meal times from when they are 13 - 14 onwards. Not a major thing, plus take into account the fact that the legal age to drink beer in much of Europe is 16 and you should realise that it is fine (in small quantities).

Edit Just saw the other posts. 17? Your fine, don't even worry about it. You'll be able to drink legally in less than a year anyway.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't think it's wrong to drink while you're underage, provided you have a sense of responsibility (eg: Not driving afterwards) and you didn't come by the alcohol illegally.

You want to enjoy a beer while you play the guitar or whatever, no I don't see anything wrong with that. My parents let me have alcohol when I was under 21, and I'm no worse for wear (of course, they always kept a lid on how much I had)

Some people say that if you're young you're irresponsible, but I've seen some pretty foolish adults as well; and likewise some very responsible teenagers. Drinking to excess in any circumstance is wrong imo.

Know your limit and don't go beyond it.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you're parents do not approve and/or it's against the law, then yes, it's wrong.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I try never to drink alone, but in some ways it's not so bad. A beer while watching the game, some brandy in the study, a little wine before going to bed, and other stereotypes. Still, that's just a personal guideline for me, I don't expect anyone else to live by it. As for you, it depends. If it's only beer, it's not a big deal, but if you feel you need it to relax, that may be a deeper issue. Especially since you felt you had to come here and justify it. And have to hide it from your parents. It's good you're responsible about it, and I don't know, maybe just feel like you're getting away with something that isn't really a big deal, but if you feel you need it for any reason, or have to hide it, that's when you have a problem. You can't wait a few months though? You better be really good at writing music. :p

22. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I really didn't need to justify, I was just curious as to what other peoples' opinions were. I don't have a dependency on it, and it's not really that hidden.

23. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

What good comes from it? So you like it, isn't there something else you like or is it just beer for you while you write music. I just think alcohol can be so dangerous, I've seen first hand what can happen.

SLC

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

People with no self control are dangerous. Alcohol with people like me and (hopefully) most other members here who know when to stop and know when to not drive and all of that aren't dangerous. Please don't tell me what I'm doing is dangerous just because you've seen some people do dumb things after drinking.

25. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Well there's the dumb things people do, but I'm just thinking about the brain cells it kills and the damage it can do to your liver. I'm not judging, I just don't see the point of anesthetizing yourself for fun. It's an opinion!

SLC