Is too much political correctness destroying PRSI?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Jul 26, 2016.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Of recent a lot of the content entering PRSI is less abou keeping sensitive topics off the forum front page and more about pandering to political correctness so some random minority group is not offended by the every day and mundane.

People now are so worried about possibly offending someone that articles they think might offend someone (but never ever will) get thrown into PRSI as well. Topics that at times are reallt not P or R or SI but because of over political correctness and this fear of possibly offending soemone they all get lumped collectively into this area.

This is not about the right to offend anyone. This is about the right to state the facts (Mac or APple related) on the front page so everyone can participate.

One example of tjis I remember was a few years back, there was an article about Cook the businessman in a gay magazine. There was zero gay talk about Cook in the article. The article was 100% professional about how well Cook ran Apple as CEO. But because the article was featured in a gay magazine, the article here about it was put into PRSI immediately. Political correctness gone mad. This is one example but there is more out there.

2. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

not being political correct is not the same as being a straight racist and ******* to people. stupid repubs can't get that

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I'm not even a US citizen. I'm Australian.
    Secondly I know the difference between being overly politically correct and being racist.
    Thirdly, this topic is not here to call the people on the other side of the political fence nasty names.
    Just so you know.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I was liking your post until you singled out repubs

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nah...hyper partisanship is doing that (as the example a few post above sadly demonstrates). Not political correctness. I don't mind those types of stories being here as it introduces the PRSI forum to new people that they otherwise might have never ventured into.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Reps earned to be singled out. Let's be real here.

7. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

YOU might know, but the general GOP here do not.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    modern GOP (not the Rockefeller GOP) are the ones who are doing it. not going to sugarcoat it. i'm not being politically correct about it

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I disagree with the OP's premise. PRSI seems to be a good place to discuss often heated Political, Religious, and Social issues as opposed to the calmer Community forum. There's nothing destructive about maintaining a civil forum to discuss such matters. Say anything more and the thread will be most likely in violation of MacRumors's rules not to discuss moderation.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

PRSI is not a safe space for thumb-sucking Millennials.

PRSI is Thunderdome.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

If PRSI is now to politically correct, I dread to think what it used to be like. I've seen some of the most offensive material ever over these past weeks during my time here.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, I've been here a while. In the run-up to the POTUS election, things get crazy. As for politically-correct, we denizens have to deal with rules-of-conduct here, and also the fact that in some cases "politically correct" goes too far - and some will use that as an excuse to discredit the whole concept.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

With training wheels.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Could add "stupid far left people". Because a lot of them are anti-semetic.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Maybe Thunderdome without the implicit anti-semitism.

Yeah. It makes me not want to post, although most of my recent posts are just dumb jokes anyway.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

If you think a forum which turns a blind eye to calls for holy war between muslims and christians as "too politically correct" then I hate to think what your actual views are.

The reality is a blind eye is turned to these posts because the posters who keep repeating them are white christians, or atheist/agnostic.

If it was someone who said they were muslim doing it, I bet they'd be getting knocks at their doors from investigating officers.

16. VulchR, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

PRSI is becoming an anger space for the bitterly angry.

17. zin Suspended

Can you link to one of these posts?

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

given how much crap comes from their culture world-wide that shouldn't be a surprise.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    lots of people are fed up with the lack of common sense in the world today. some is caused by people thinking the PC Culture is overshadowing just telling it like it is and others are fed up with the just plain stupid and/or naive people of the world.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But you know, there is a difference between 'telling the truth', and deliberately choosing to use language to give offence.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Yes. Never bothered me as I think people need to grow some thicker skin and focus on the truth.

Remove the underlying cause of why those speaking the truth are saying what they are saying.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But it is possible to deliver 'the truth' courteously.

It does not need to come cloaked in insults or words that knowingly may give offence.

Then again, it also depends on what one may wish to achieve by such 'truth telling'. When 'truth telling' does one wish to persuade someone of the merits - or otherwise - of something? Or does one simply seek to state one's own opinion in an agreeably emphatic manner irrespective of how the message might be received?

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

It's often bravado on here whether they want to admit it or not though lol.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree.

However, there is a valid point to be made about 'truth telling' - and the need to be able to 'tell the truth' - especially in systems which cloak themselves in euphemism and misrepresentation and use language to confuse and mask rather than explain, enlighten and educate.

That means that the task of 'speaking truth to power' is one that carries a lot of responsibility, and, in truth, 'truth' can be so potent that this sort of message very often has to be delivered with pointed politeness.

Besides, on the matter of bravado, there is sometimes a confusion of bluster with the right to give offence when deluding yourself that you are 'telling the truth'.

It is no bad thing that language can no longer be used quite so casually to give offence, and reinforce patterns of deference and subordination, and - sometimes - humiliation. Or, rather, it can, but the user is more likely to be called out on it, and made to own it (and thus be seen for that they are), or apologise for it, or simply put some thought into how language is used and employ different words - or expressions - when trying to say something.

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

PRSI? Hell, it's destroying the planet.

25. sim667, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

sim667 macrumors 65816

Just go and look through Benjamin Frost's posts.... for starters. I'm pretty sure I've seen violence against Muslims advocated from KarlJay and PDQ..... whatever his name is too...

Edit. Here's an example

From this thread, post #393

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ause-casualties.1962617/page-16#post-22705130

--- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    We live in a era where there's right wing terrorism too, this largely has a blind eye turned to it, because of white privilege.

Its funny how in the news when a Muslim commits an atrocity they're reported as using "terrorist tactics in the name of Islam" where as when a White individual like Anders Brevik does it, he's "unhinged and using terrorist like tactics"...... the same principles are being applied to people like Benjamin Frosts comments on here.

We're all well aware mods will turn a blind eye to stuff like that on PRSI..... that doesn't mean its right, and if they won't challenge it, I will.