Is Trump Christian? Trump did not recite the Apostles' Creed at funeral.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
He was one of few that did not recite the Apostles' Creed—a common statement in Christianity—at the Washington, D.C. funeral for late President George H.W. Bush on Wednesday.

This is coming from Trump who thinks that NFL Players who don't recite the National Anthem as being unpatriotic. At a game it does not seem to be ok to not recite the National Anthem but at a Funeral of a prior President he seems to find it ok to not recite the Apostles' Creed. Trump either has special exceptions or is he not Christian..? (I don't know..)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2018/12/05/all-presidents-bush-funeral-service-together-recited-this-core-prayer-except-trump/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ab75b77e3812

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-melania-trump-dont-pray-apostle-creed-sing-hymns-obamas-clintons-1245879

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1070376816131694593

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who. Cares. What. Religion. A. President. Is. Or. Claims. To. Be.

That said, I think it's well beyond time to stop pointing out hypocrisy of his base as if that does anything. That is a feature of his tactics, not a fault. I'm not saying that's a good thing (for anyone but Trump), just pointing it out. It's a cult of ideology, rationality doesn't matter.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Yes. He's a firm believer of church, state, one nation under God.

Of course, his monumental building in NYC is the church, his presidency is the state, and he is god. So... sorta, kind of?

No, seriously, he is worried about if he can bilk his base out of a few more dollars in his next two years.

Altis

macrumors 68030
Sep 10, 2013
Geez, there isn’t anything that people won’t criticize President Trump for either doing or not doing.
Quite a few people have become pathological about it and are generally beyond the ability to be reasoned with.

For example... people, usually with Trump avatars of some kind, who reply to every even remotely Trump-related thread repeatedly despite having not been replied to.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Geez, there isn’t anything that people won’t criticize President Trump for either doing or not doing.
The irony of that, is that's a very thing the man himself does constantly to others...

Twitter said:

Would it really have been so hard to just 'mouth' the words? I mean that's what a large portion of church goers actually do anyways. He just had to put in the effort, not be 'low energy'. He was already sort of grateful he got to go to this one after the dust up over McCain's funeral.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

That said, I think it's well beyond time to stop pointing out hypocrisy of his base as if that does anything. That is a feature of his tactics, not a fault. I'm not saying that's a good thing (for anyone but Trump), just pointing it out. It's a cult of ideology, rationality doesn't matter.

Other people of that religion tend to care.
[doublepost=1544063285][/doublepost]

This is def a silly issue to make about Trump. With that said, religion is an important factor for some regarding the politicians they support and having someone pretend to be religious or act religious to get support is a fair topic for discussion. Specially on a forum revolving around said issues.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
The irony of that, is that's a very thing the man himself does constantly to others...

Would it really have been so hard to just 'mouth' the words? I mean that's what a large portion of church goers actually do anyways. He just had to put in the effort, not be 'low energy'. He was already sort of grateful he got to go to this one after the dust up over McCain's funeral.
I am referring to the Twitter quote I saw in this post lol..
I think the reason reunions must be so awkward for Trump is because he has to face all the people he always talks so much Shi* about lol..

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
If you choose to run and win for the highest office in the land, you're due more than your fair share of criticism. If a D wins in 2020, you lot who are complaining about people complaining about DJT better not whinge about the next president.

I'm an equal opportunity complainer regardless of who's in charge.

And, for what it's worth, no. I don't believe DJT is remotely religious. No one becomes a changed man overnight, especially with a history of adultery, lying and scheming others. I don't believe in his born again Christianity or anyone else's. It's all hogwash.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Why should we care what prayers people recite from the program of any funeral, whether for head of state or some local acquaintance? It's respectful to show up, but no one should expect you to recite a creed that is not of your own belief.

Bush was an Episcopalian, Trump is not. He has said he is Christian.

The Apostle's Creed is not a part of all Christian denominations' liturgical collections anyway. Some say the Nicene Creed.

And some may perhaps not say all the words...

The composer Schubert left an important part of the Credo out of the Roman Catholic Mass when he set it to music, the line professing belief in "one holy, catholic and apostolic church". As a perhaps predictable result, the Church was fairly miffed over that and so forbade the performance of those particular Mass settings in cathedrals. However, as an example of unforeseen consequence, those works were instead performed in town squares, and drew far larger audiences, many people in which subsequently became fans of Schubert's other and purely secular compositions. :p

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Do you really think there is a religious bone in his body?

I feel like much of the political criticism these days is so rhetorical... Idk if that’s the most accurate word. In other words the criticism is supposed to elicit some response when in reality it’s pointing out the obvious.

Reactions: Stella

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
This thread is a classic example of TDS. There are plenty of things to criticize him for and we have to highlight this?

It is petty and childish.
Donald Trump would not be President but for the near-universal support he received from American Evangelical Christians. American Evangelicals voted for Trump over his Democratic rival by a margin of something like 80% to 20%. This despite Hillary Clinton's well-documented lifelong Methodist faith.

American Evangelical leaders have repeatedly given Trump a "pass" for things such as his widely documented extramarital affairs and multitude of other decidedly non-Christian behaviors.

At some point you have to wonder when those Evangelicals are going to wake up to the fact that they are being conned. And if it takes the clear evidence that Donald Trump lacks even passing familiarities with one of the core ritual passages of public Christian faith, a passage shared by Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran alike - then maybe some of those Evangelicals will consider voting with their conscience, rather than the way their self-interested leadership tell them.

Reactions: hulugu and jdechko

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Donald Trump would not be President but for the near-universal support he received from American Evangelical Christians. American Evangelicals voted for Trump over his Democratic rival by a margin of something like 80% to 20%. This despite Hillary Clinton's well-documented lifelong Methodist faith.

American Evangelical leaders have repeatedly given Trump a "pass" for things such as his widely documented extramarital affairs and multitude of other decidedly non-Christian behaviors.

At some point you have to wonder when those Evangelicals are going to wake up to the fact that they are being conned. And if it takes the clear evidence that Donald Trump lacks even passing familiarities with one of the core ritual passages of public Christian faith, a passage shared by Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran alike - then maybe some of those Evangelicals will consider voting with their conscience, rather than the way their self-interested leadership tell them.
You have to give Trump credit for one thing. He is probably the greatest con man we have seen in our lifetime.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I care when he lies about that, and along with practically everything he is involved in. :oops:
[doublepost=1544104064][/doublepost]
It has to do with his incessant lying about everything he is doing or not doing and among many other things pretending to be a Christian for his sad base, including his evangucals who lured in by Beelzebub hisself (metaphorically speaking), forgot what Jesus taught, and have not yet flown the coop. :(

Last edited:

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
When Carter dies, I'm going to blast every liberal politician for not being able to lay hands on him, as Jesus did for Lazarus, and return him from the dead.

I mean if they were true Christians, as they claim to be, and they had faith only as a grain of mustard seed, nothing would be impossible to them.

I didn't believe I could think less of most of the liberals around this board, this thread is living proof, there is no event liberals won't use to launch an attack on their political rivals, and not even a grain of human decency, respect for the office of the President, and no respect for the dead or their loved ones.

Reactions: mgguy and ucfgrad93

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When Carter dies, I'm going to blast every liberal politician for not being able to lay hands on him, as Jesus did for Lazarus, and return him from the dead.

I mean if they were true Christians, as they claim to be, and they had faith only as a grain of mustard seed, nothing would be impossible to them.

I didn't believe I could think less of most of the liberals around this board, this thread is living proof, there is no event liberals won't use to launch an attack on their political rivals, and not even a grain of human decency, respect for the office of the President, and no respect for the dead or their loved ones.
I really don't care what he sings, says or otherwise in this scenario. At the same time, the subject in question is a known hypocrite and spent much of his life attacking various members of the those in attendance. Including the deceased. On the flip side, I've seen commentary criticizing the Clintons (namely Hillary) for not trying to engage with Donald as some saw it as a sign of disrespect. I don't see how that's valid either.

As for respect for the office of the President - I think that starts with whoever sits in the WH. I have yet to see him respect that office.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I really don't care what he sings, says or otherwise in this scenario. At the same time, the subject in question is a known hypocrite and spent much of his life attacking various members of the those in attendance. Including the deceased. On the flip side, I've seen commentary criticizing the Clintons (namely Hillary) for not trying to engage with Donald as some saw it as a sign of disrespect. I don't see how that's valid either.

As for respect for the office of the President - I think that starts with whoever sits in the WH. I have yet to see him respect that office.
A State funeral for a former President, as we like to say, you don't solute the man, you solute the rank. Even if you can't respect Trump, it's only decent to show respect for H.W. and not use he's passing to disparage your political rivals.

Setting the bar pretty low, but then I don't expect anything else.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I think you are missing the forrest for the trees. What is the forrest, you ask? Trump is a villain, basically a wolf in sheep’s clothing, who misrepresents himself to fool as many people as he can. One of those endeavors is his blatant pretending to be Christian. Of all people who should be questioning his faith it should be those Christians who have embraced The Devil (metaphorically speaking).