Is Trump dyslexic?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Maybe dyslexic isn’t the right word but clearly a screw is loose somewhere. Case in point the video below talking about Puerto Rico. I assume he means there’s been little loss of life and he’s calling that incredible. But when you first hear it you shake your head wondering wtf did he just say. I know some supporters think it’s just the media picking nits but come on we shouldn’t constantly have to say “I think what Trump meant to say was...”. For all the savvy and brilliance his suporters say he has he often comes across as, well, dumb.

https://twitter.com/salhernandez/status/913852023350718464

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He has no sense of how he sounds. His brain is so unfocused that sentences literally come out as a stream of consciousness which make little sense. Have you ever read a transcript of an off Teleprompter speech? It's word salad. I think he has massive A.D.D. I do wonder if he is on any medication for it. If so, it's not working or he isn't taking it.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Well something’s wrong that’s for sure. Doesn’t help that he has no attention span and doesn’t read. I’m sure he only retains half of what someone tells him (if that) which is why he’s constantly saying things that make no sense.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

Not that I'm some champion for mental health rights, but dyslexia isn't a mental disorder. It's a reading disorder, plain and simple. And would have zero bearing on how POTUS behaves. It would only affect his reading ability, which we know not to be an issue. As he likely doesn't read outside of what's required of him. I say that to tease his followers and minions, but mostly because people of his position, prior to the Presidency, don't have much time for free reading.

ADD on the other hand? Maybe. But I don't know much about this illness to even discuss it without coming off as an *******.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So Dyslexia can’t impact the way the words come out of someone’s mouth? It’s just how they see the written word? I don’t doubt that Trump is ADD. Maybe that’s a better description for it though George W. Bush wasn’t the most eloquent speaker but I don’t think he had ADD. Not sure how to diagnose it.

6. niploteksi macrumors regular

Dyslexia doesn't make you talk weird or incoherent.

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

We are talking about a guy who claimed he had enough people to pass that last healthcare act fiasco. While all the while he was three short. Then claimed he was one short because the Senator was in the hospital. Only the Senator was on Twitter trying to tell Trump he wasn't in the hospital.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't believe so, no. In my generation, when we were school children, they would test us for dyslexia using antiquated methods. There was someone I knew then who was diagnosed with it. Had trouble reading or understanding written material, but spoke quite normally. The problem with GWB was that he wasn't a bad speaker. Not like Trump. Both suffer from lack of oratorical skills. However, GWB's cadence was miles ahead of Trump's. Trump's speech style is varied. There is a night and day difference when speaking off the cuff, which is the norm for him, and when he's reading from a prepared speech. When he sounds like a human being.

The problem with them both is their generation doesn't and never did take kindly to intrusive testing for dyslexia or even ADD.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I like where he said Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by water. Lots of water. An ocean of water. Huge ocean of water.

Well duh.

10. niploteksi macrumors regular

I have had dyslectic students. Dyslexia is a problem with connecting sounds to letters, and it's genetically predisposed. But it's more complicated than it just being genetics, since children with dyslexia get left behind because of their difficulties. Unless properly diagnosed the gap between the dyslectic child and a "normal" child widens, with respect to reading ability.

But it's not something that is connected to other cognitive abilities. Other than that children with reading problems sometimes learn less in school without proper aid from their teachers.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Trump doesn’t know how to use “big” words. Or maybe he is trying to play to his base and not use “big” words?

13. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I've encountered people like this: they're not skilled in the art of communication, they're not able to think on their feet, they don't have a quick, adaptive type intellect that would allow them to speak at any length and sound even marginally coherent (some of them also had the habit of talking too much, so they often "ran out of words", and filled in with nonsense).

Whether they lack this specific skillset or are just D-U-M-B, who's to say :)

Regardless of the source of the deficiency, some people just can't do this, and unfortunately in his capacity as President, Trump has requirements to speak publically and occasionally be verbose, to clarify, emphasize, qualify things by example, or experience.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Cut him some slack, he just learned that. I mean really, who knew?!! :D

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

No, he can read. He doesn’t hide. He won presidency by taking a diarrhea **** on everyone, so we may be with him for a bit.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Yeah. Exact quote: (there's complications because PR is) " This is an Island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." Many equate it to toddler-speak. IDK about dyslexia, but maybe Trump is losing his mind. He's no spring-chicken...

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Two year olds can string 3-6 word sentences. Toddlers have an expanded vocabulary over two year olds. POTUS can't string jack ****.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Agreed. Yet, as much I dislike Trump (both as a human-being and a Politician) - this incident coupled with a growing amount of others (eg: recent example of him forgetting his wife was next to him) - seem potentially indicative of some age-related loss of mental acumen. Yes, people are idiots from time-to-time. Yes, the Press can take advantage of this, sometimes w/o context. I get that. Yet, I worry that we have a President who is such a narcissist - he can't even acknowledge that he's in decline...(oh, and the whole nuclear-code thing).

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

I would say she's quite happy he forgets she's there.

20. Tech198 macrumors G5

Yes it is. He's just is just 'asking' for a war with the attempts already done.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Another thread full of Trump derangement syndrome, what a shock to find it here on PRSI.

What Trump should have said is," The loss of life in Puerto Rico has been incredible, but they keep voting to not become a state, so who really cares".

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's not "deranged" to point out Trump's flaws and be concerned about them. It might be to ignore them though.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, he's not dyslexic, he's just a ****ing idiot.

24. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That's probably what he thinks deep down anyway.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

He and I think a lot alike.:p