Is Trump going to demand any company headquartered in the US only employee US citizens?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So far his ire has only been directed at manufacturing plants but if companies like GM and Carrier aren't allowed to open plants outside the USA without facing a massive tax what about other companies? The company I work for has 200,000 employees. Roughly 10,000 are IT professionals working in India.

Is Trump going to force us to relocate those jobs to the USA? Or are his stances just about pandering to the so-called working class whites in the rust belt? I guess I'm trying to understand the underlying philosophy here, especially considering USA headquartered companies that sell products and services all over the world. Do the 60% of Apple's customers not located in the USA care whether the people assembling their iPhone are working in the USA or not? Should they? Could the era of Trump actually be harmful to the economy and jobs if US companies are selling fewer products/services outside the USA? Or products at Walmart becoming more expensive because of tarrifs Trump slaps on them?

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

As long as he is just blurbing on Twitter to get these "deals" he might get away with it.

Problem is when some company actually calls his bluff about "border tax".

Will he start a trade war (with everybody losing) ? Or will silently admit defeat while going on an incoherent rant ?

3. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I for one don't buy this twitter nonsense. I also don't think he just "didn't prepare" for those debates for example. Or sending off weird posts at 3AM about nonsense. It's just his fancy trick to appeal non-elite to the average joe that loves that kind of shtick.

So these highly informal "deals", let's see if one has to call them "lip-service" ultimately, are imo crafted way before he "fires off" his twitterish wisdom with everyone apparently getting their pants in fire afterwards.

For his more general remarks we all know they are nothing but childish fireworks with much ado and no real consequences. That "wall", that "lock her up", that "drain the swamp" etc pp. But as my observations in PRSI tell me: that's more than enough to please the crowd. *chuckles*

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Lots of his tweets are obfuscation to the real issues he's trying to draw attention away from. Others are just because he has no censor.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Let's say he manages to pull all manufacturing jobs back to the US (including his own companies). Instead of paying workers $.40/hour we're now paying minimum wage. All manufactured goods will skyrocket, and it won't do the workers any good to have those jobs when they can't afford to buy anything.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

But I thought minimum wage laws were good?

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Current minimum wage is based on an economy where manufacturing jobs are outsourced.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

On MSNBC this morning Joe Scarborough said he thinks Trump's "political theater" is brilliant. So he's basically admitting Trump is full of it abc this is all a con job from a reality tv star.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Personally I would change brilliant to dangerous.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

He can't force anything but he (with Congress) can make it difficult for American companies to hire non-Americans. Or make it enticing for American companies to hire Americans, however you want to look at it.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Even if Trump wanted to slap terrifies on stuff produced, or services rendered on countries like China or Mexico, he can't WTO and NAFTA rules forbid it, and he won't find enough support in Congress to overturn them.

Too many in Congress have drunk the Free-Trade koolaid.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Until Trump's own entities adhere to his own policies, it's pure hypocrisy. He and his supporters can no longer hide behind the argument that he doesn't have to be cause a) he's not POTUS and b) he's taking legal advantage of the current set up.

Until the law changes - he cannot go after companies without looking at his own. And as soon (if) he can get the laws changed, his holdings should be the first in line to adhere to the policies.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I don't think it would be constitutional to require US companies to hire only US citizens.

The US constitution applies to anyone in the US - regardless of status. Thus includes the equal protections clause. It only distinguishes citizenship in a few places (voting, holding office, etc.). I think any regulation based on citizenship would have to pass strict scrutiny constitutional scrutiny because it would be a regulation based on national origin (and maybe religion and race).

Thus, the government would have the burden of proving the regulation serves a compelling government interest and the regulation is narrowly tailored to achieve that result.

That is a super high burden, and very difficult to overcome. Even if Congress passes such a law and Trump signs it, I am certain it will be challenged in court immediately, and it will be super easy to get a court to stay the law's execution pending the case because such a regulation so clearly would be based on national origin. Then even if there is a compelling government interest, how would they show it is narrowly tailored? Citizenship is such an broad thing. Surely there are narrower ways to achieve that same interest, and the law will be struck down.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It's not illegal or unconstitutional to discriminate based on someone's legal status to be, or to work, in the US, we do it all the time with our laws, only some people are allowed to work in the US. We can limit the amount of those types of Visas, and crack down hard on those that hire illegal workers.

15. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

And if the jobs are not outsourced, what should the minimum wage be?

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Who knows. It's foolish to speculate on Trump until he is actually president and had a year or two to govern.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's not what the OP suggested though. "Is Trump going to demand any company headquartered in the US only employee US citizens?" is the OPs question. Since Trump's demands don't mean didly-squat without actual laws to backup his threats, I assume there would be a law passed. The keywords OP used are "only employee [sic] US citizens." OP didn't say only employ US citizens or legal residents or those with valid visas. OP didn't say anything about employing illegal aliens. The hypothetical that OP posted would be unconstitutional because it is not narrowly tailored.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Someone should remind Trump he's not yet President. I think sometimes he forgets.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That doesn't pass the smell test. Please provide evidence to back up your claim that outsourcing drives the minimum wage.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It will depend on how much it drives up product costs. Minimum wage is established to provide the basic standard of living.

I just explained that in post number 5 where I stated:

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Will even that be enough? Not sure why people are so enamored with the mystery box approach to things. Would we buy a car that way? No. Or even clothes? No. But a job where that person is in charge of things that could wreck our economy, our clean air and water, would could get us into wars and who we rely on for safety and who even has nukes at his disposal...sure..let's take what's in the box! Let's gamble on the unknown. What could go wrong?

IMG_1352.JPG

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

My question is centered around the ultimate philosophy of Trump and his supporters. Right now Trump is targeting factory workers. So is it only companies that own factories that have to keep their factories in the US or face penalties? Is he only targeting these companies because they employ the constituents he pandered to during the election? And are these people so stupid that they don't realize any penalty will ultimately harm them in the end? All those cheap goods they get at Walmart will be a lot more expensive.

23. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Good luck trying to fulfill that. There will be a lot of companies with open positions if they cannot fill them with non US citizens. Also big corporations have help desks that follow the sun, so if you are calling at 11 PM Eastern you might be talking to someone in Australia.

24. AsherN macrumors 6502

So no company "headquartered" in the US could ever be a multi-national, with branches around the world, employing locals in those countries? No multi-national companies could ever transfer specialized talent from other countries to work in their US facilities?

Good luck passing that law.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

did you get a discount when those goods were made in China at 40 cents per hour??
    CO I worked for sold the same radiator for $216 that it made in China for $16 delivered, our cost to manufacture it was $80 in the states. getting it cheaper from China does NOT mean YOU (consumer) gets a discount.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    man is busy working and you guys are busy complaining.