Is UMA hardware or software?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jomobco, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jomobco macrumors newbie

Can an iPhone be updated to UMA with an iOS update or is this feature in the hardware/chipset? I've been looking for a definite answer and haven't seen one.

UMA is a T mobile feature where calls are made and received over wifi. I had it with my blackberry and loved it when traveling especially out of country. It was just like being in my office.

2. peetah macrumors member

Software. The big problem is supporting it in the iPhone unless Apple creates the code for it.

FYI, several years ago there someone created an Android app to enabled UMA on certain Android phones.

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So you come to this forum, one that has both sides to the story for clarification? Isn't that a bit like clearing away mud only to try and find the mud underneath? You certainly could of posted this in either one of the other threads to get the same answers you'll get here. Come on now.

4. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

All carriers have now got rid of UMA. The Wi-Fi calling in current T-Mobile phones is in software. It is not as good as UMA because there is no mechanism for handover from Wi-Fi calling to wireless signal mode calling. I recall T-mobile CEO saying there will be a feature that distinguishes T-Mobile's product from others. We will know on 12th. If it does have Wi-Fi calling, Apple can count several million new sale of IPhone 5 for next quarter on T-mobile.

5. jomobco thread starter macrumors newbie

IIRC He said when asked about the feature that there's a surprise in the future or something like that. I was curious if the Tmo 5 doesn't launch with this feature if it can be updated via software or as some have said in other threads I've read that it's a chipset feature. Thanks for the info.

6. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

The UMA was a chip set feature. But now all Wi-Fi calling on T-mobile phones is a software feature.

7. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Do you know of any Wi-Fi calling software that can receive calls on the iPhone 5, not just make outgoing calls?

8. puertorioninja5 macrumors newbie

Bobsled ;) an actual T-Mobile USA app too.

9. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Good only to make outgoing calls, not incoming.

10. jomobco thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the odds the 5S will add this chipset feature? It would be awesome to have full voice usage when indoors without cells service but wifi or out of country at a hot spot like I used to with my crackberry. Fingers crossed.

11. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I know Talkatone can do this, but it uses your Google Voice number, not your iPhone's number.

12. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Most cell phone companies will not want the UMA chip inbuilt. Having it hardware based is very good, but because very few want to give away free calls, it will remain a software option.