Is using the mobile hotspot convenient or inconvenient?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doctor Q, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The mobile hotspot feature is a nice capability of the Verizon iPhone but I have some concerns about its convenience.

1. Will I have to turn the mobile hotspot setting on the iPhone on and off each time I want to connect another device, so that it doesn't count my iPhone usage against the 2GB limit when I'm not using other devices?
    The answer seems to be no, that the iPhone disables the mobile hotspot automatically when there are no devices connected. But I haven't seen this stated at Verizon's website, only in articles elsewhere.​

2. If I'm using the mobile hotspot for, say, an iPad and a MacBook Pro, and I walk into a free wifi area (like a public hotspot or my home network), how do I ensure that the iPad and MBP use the free wifi instead of the mobile hotspot, again so I don't use data from my monthly allocation?

3. I get great battery life with an iPad Wifi+3G with monthly mobile service. If I use an iPad Wifi (no 3G, no separate service) and rely on the mobile hotspot instead, will I drain my iPhone battery so quickly that it won't be a practical alternative?

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I have verizon mobile hotspot on my palm pre plus. to answer your questions... you will want to turn the hotspot OFF each and every time your not using it for two reasons

1. it will kill your battery life

2. with only 2 gb data you will burn through that very quickly

3. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Can't you just bluetooth tether the iPhone to the computer?

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

he wants the data for his ipad. you cant 'bluetooth to ipad

5. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

the hot spot feature will take down your battery power quicker..
    you will need to turn it on and off to monitor it very easy two clicks open the app and hit connect takes seconds.
    you would only need to use this feature if you had no wifi, its much slower usually from what i have expereinced so i only use it when i am on the road needed my ipad and couldnt find a wifi location

6. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I don't remember which review stated this, but the hotspot will give you a solid 4 hours from your phone (obviously if its charged).

7. Daveoc64, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The biggest reason that you'd want to turn the feature off when you aren't using it is that it stops your iPhone connecting to Wi-Fi networks.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I will still but a 3G iPad 2, it is might more convenient to have the 3G option when travelling. Some hotels have bad wifi and require ethernet to connect to the internet so a 3G connection is vital for me when travelling.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I would call that a VERY liberal estimate :rolleyes:

10. bwhitta macrumors regular

1. I can't speak to how the iPhone's mobile hotspot will work, but I have read that it does automatically turn off some time devices disconnect. My Palm Pre does not have this feature, on/off is completely manual.

2. You just have to turn your iPhone's mobile hotspot off and connect to the free router on your other devices.

3. Every phone (Android and Pre Plus) that I've used a mobile hotspot on loses it's battery pretty quickly.

I, too, currently have the Palm Pre Plus on VZW. I love the mobile hotspot feature and it is the one feature of the Pre that I will actually miss. The mobile hotspot is completely free and has a 5gb limit on the Pre. I use it pretty often and have never gone over 2gb. I make sure to never download large files nor do I stream music/video while I'm using it.

It is hard on the battery. The Pre's power management is horrible and easily loses 25% or more in 30 minutes to an hour with the hotspot on. When the hotspot is on, any data that the phone uses is charged to your data limit. So if your phone checks your email accounts for example, it's charged against your limit. Even if no wifi devices are connected to the phone while the hotspot is active, it charges to your data limit.

As to whether or not you will eat through the limit quickly, it's just something that you need to test. Last month, my cable internet was down and I played Call of Duty Black Ops on my PS3 connected through the hotspot on my Pre. I limited myself to about ten games each night and played probably 7 nights. I only used 400mb of data.

If you're interested in a bluetooth hotspot, check out MyWi for jailbroken devices.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That sounds horrific.

I'm surprised it was playable.

Latency over Wi-Fi is bad enough let alone Wi-Fi + a Cellular network.

12. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

You should be able to set your prefered networks in order they connect.
    ie Home then work then personal hotspot.
    So the PC/MAC will connect to them in that order.
    Most people will only use the hotspot on odd occasions. So turning on & off will not be so bad. Ive read after the computers have disconnected it doesnt drain the battery.
    Best thing to do is try it when its out.

13. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was hoping it could all be automatic so the hotspot and its data plan would automatically be used only when there was no other wifi, as I roam the world with my multiple devices.

But it sounds like I'll sometimes have to enable/disable it manually. That's still workable, just not as convenient as I'd hoped.

14. Rodvette macrumors regular

wow you must be really addicted to that game using your phone as a tether to play it online LOL:D

I dunno, I would never dare try that

15. bwhitta macrumors regular

It wasn't too bad, better than nothing. Had lagging moments, but never completely lagged out.

Nah, not addicted. Was more interested to see how the quality was and how much data would be consumed.

16. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Not exactly. I get at least 3 1/2 hours (never used it more for that amount) on my Droid X. I'm sure the iPhone 4 will last longer.