Is Verizon out of their ******* minds? $100/mo MINIMUM for an iPhone?!?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Seriously?

Wow...

Verizon has some balls of steel to force everyone who wants to upgrade onto their shared plans that start at a minimum of $100/mo :mad:

That $100 for month for one person includes:
    $60 for 2GB of data
    $40 per device

:eek:

At least AT&T isn't as much of an cocky ***hole of a company that they let you get a $70/mo plan if you purchase an iPhone and don't force you off your current plan to a $100/mo one if you want to upgrade...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are the most expensive carrier in the US.
    Sucks that they make a single line to mandatory use a mobile share plan where in reality there's no other device in the account to share anything with. I dont get it.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

You can still get the old plans, they just try to hide them. They're even on the VZW website, but are hidden as they make more money off of the new share everything plans.

Here's the link: Nationwide + Canada

Nationwide + Mexico

4. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The minimum voice plan (450 minutes) is $60! :eek:

Then you select a data plan of 2gb and your paying $90 per month! :mad:

$90/mo for 450 minutes and 2gb of data... I'm stunned. Literally stunned :eek::eek::eek:

Compare this to AT&T's option of 450 minutes and 3gb of data for $70 already overpriced and you see just how ludicrous $90-100/mo minimum Verizon is charging. I'm surprised customers are ok with being bent over this badly :confused:

5. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I pay $145 for 2 iphones and an iPad sharing 4gb of data.

You fail to realize that the $40 is also for unlimited minutes and texting.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This is nothing new. So I don't see what the big deal is? Verizon has always been expensive. And it's not like you have to upgrade to the new plans, as a current customer anyway.

7. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not everyone on a family plan. Don't care if you are. Verizon is being cocky as **** and giving the middle finger to single line iPhone customers :mad:

8. Garrett67 macrumors regular

I pay $145 for 2 phones, unlimited text and unlimited calling with 4GB data. (Shared plan)

My wife doesn't use much data and I can live with 3GB for me (1GB for her)

Its not great but its not bad either.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is nothing new. My fiancee and I got plans together and saved her a lot. She now actually has data.

10. Garrett67 macrumors regular

I see you mean for an individual. SO I guess my post didn't help but I'm sure there are individual plans for less

How many minutes do you use per month (that are charged for, not m2m)?

11. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

First off, being a jerk isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Your only other option then, as VZW requires the plan change with a new contract is to buy the phone outright.

Don't like it? Change carriers.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

And that 450 includes unlimited mobile to mobile which is 95% of the people I talk to unless calling a customer support.

13. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

For individual on Verizon:

Share plans (talk/txt, 2gb data) MINIMUM = $100/mo
    Individual plans (450 min, 2gb data) MINIMUM = $90/mo

That is truly disgusting :(

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, that's a weird plan that includes calling to/from Canada.

If you're a new Verizon customer, you're supposed to have to go with Verizon's new "share" plans. And yes, they're expensive. Guess having the largest LTE network hasn't been cheap for Verizon...

15. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I hear ya OP. I don't need unlimited anything. I have 450 minutes and no text plan. I'm still on grandfathered unlimited, but I've never gone over 2 GB. My parents are on my plan and have 2 basic phones. I pay $100/mo for all 3 phones. For us to switch to anyone's "shared" plans I'm looking at $160! No chance. My parents will probably cancel their phones if we are ever forced to drop the plan we are on now. These plans encourage you to find people to share data with and pool your plans. Hard to do if you don't have loved ones who want data phones. My wife pays for her phone through her business so it is separate from our family stuff.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There was once a time, not so long ago, where people payed about the same (inflation adjusted) on a single house line with long distance calling.

When cell phones first came out, you'd once again be paying about the same... only you couldn't leave your calling area or else pay significantly more.

Now, most people don't even have a 'home phone,' can use their cell phones anywhere in the country, don't have to worry about long distance fees, and receive internet speeds far superior of a T1 line (soon to surpass T3 speeds)... all for about the same price - and people still complain.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The carriers hear non stop complaints from their customers. I'd be willing to bet even more so now that the iPhone is more widespread. iPhone users use a lot of data on average. On average most people have a plan with a family member. These plans make sense in a lot of ways, both for the carrier (they get you off unlimited) and for the shared users (if you know your data habits you can likely save money here). They can't offer 15 different data plans, that would be a customer service nightmare, and the CS reps already are clueless most of the time. They can't tailor a plan specifically for you. So this is the alternative.

Don't get me wrong- I am a single line iPhone user. It's likely I won't have a second device for a long time. But looking deeper in to the issue I realized I can save money. And in the event I decide to let a 4G iPad at some point (the wifi only is ok for now) I may benefit from this even more.

Like I said- playing Devil's advocate. I am not thrilled with ATT/VZW at the moment either.

18. Garrett67 macrumors regular

I'm trying to find plans that aren't shared on Verizon's site but all I can get to are pages that don't exist.

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, These prices are outrageous... I have AT&T with 450 minutes, 2 GB data, and unlimited texting with a FAN discount...

I only use like 35 minutes a month, 1-1.5 GB of data, and maybe 200-300 texts because most of my friends have an iPhone (this figures were before I sold my iPhone and "rented" a GS3 for $35 for the next month.

How many people need unlimited calling anymore??? With mobile to mobile... Even people who talk on the phone A LOT... this saves them a ton of minutes.

I know you weren't asking me, but I only use 30-50 minutes a month... so let me tell ya, unlimited calling is a HUGE feature for me... :D

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you do an online chat with them, they'll tell you that all new customers are supposed to be required to pick a "share" data plan.

21. Garrett67 macrumors regular

If you're an individual , who are you sharing with?

Oh, and to Want300, I don't even use that many minutes per month. I hate talking on the phone, but the unlimited minutes came with the unlimited texting, for which I guess I don't need either since texts to Verizon customers is free (or used to be).

Now I'm starting to question whether I'm getting hosed, but it doesn't matter.

What can any of us do about it anyway?

22. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody, but Verizon is cocky enough to force you to pay $100/mo for their share plans :mad:

AT&T minimum:
    $40/mo (450 minutes)
    $30/mo (3gb data)
    -------------------------
    $70/mo

Verizon minimum:
    $40/mo (per device)
    $60/mo (2gb of data)
    ------------------------
    $100/mo

Plus Verizon forces you off your old grandfathered plan when upgrading phones... AT&T doesn't.

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

So what is forcing you to stay on Verizon? You just sound mad. Go to another network where you can pay much less. Do something instead of just complaining about it.

Verizon is the best network in the States, they can charge that much.

And again, Verizon does not force you off your old grandfathered plan. Why do you keep saying they do?

24. profets macrumors 68040

25. dotme macrumors 6502a

They won't be. AT&T will probably be delighted though. The lack of individual plans on Verizon is a massive oversight, and I'm guessing they will correct it once they see the number of subscribers dip a little over the next month or two.