Is waiting for LED screens worth it? How are the screens now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AntiKarateKid, Jul 15, 2008.

1. AntiKarateKid macrumors newbie

That is really the only thing I am looking forward to in any update. I planning on buying a macbook ( or blackbook hmmm) and am keeping away until this gets announced. i know its all speculation but lets say it was going to be put in during the Back to School deal, are LED screens that big of an improvement?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. AntiKarateKid thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that it makes the screen brighter and last longer. Thats why I was looking forward to it.

4. magid macrumors 6502

magid

When was the last time an lcd screen died on you?

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I had two LCD screens on my Dell XPS laptop die.

6. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

he obviously wants to save the environment guys, wait for LED...there's nothing more important than a good LED backlite computer that is good for the world.

7. Jak3 macrumors regular

Well, LCD is a big improvement over CRT (big tube televisions if you don't already know)

Unless you know you want LED screen over LCD for any specific reason, then yes wait, if not, just go with what they are currently offering.

8. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Forget about the evironment, like him I just want the superior LED screen. Has nothing to do with going green. :D

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The LED refers to the backlighting technology. The screen is still an LCD, but the backlighting now consists of LEDs instead of CCFL. OP, the LED backlighting is certainly an improvement on CCFL, and certainly it is understandable that one wants the best screen for their computer, so I say if you can wait for the MacBooks to become LED backlit, go for it.

10. AntiKarateKid thread starter macrumors newbie

I kinda read a tad bit of hostility in some of those responses. If anyone could give me a better idea of how much of a brightness improvement a LED screen would be it would be appreciated. Maybe in like a X/10 rating way.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have 2 MacBook Pros with LEDs and a MacBook with LCD. Side by side the MacBook Pros are brighter. How much? Enough that I would not buy another computer without one. The quick warm up to full brightness in the LED is also a nice feature. Hope this helps.

12. zsft macrumors regular

My Asus W3v's LCD died in 2.5 years, in the middle of exam week. I had to buy an HP 19" LCD off craiglist's to substitute...pretty good deal, but scared me like hell.

13. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Yes they are worth it.
    They are much brighter, the colors stay for 60,000 hours of use, they don't fade like with the macbook. They don't take time to start up, they are better for the environment, etc.