Is windows going to overtake mac. Watch out apple

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
:eek: First XP, then Movie Maker, the attractive solitare, new organized look, antispyware, reliability, lower price, more compatibility/stability, media is handled better. The reason I say this is that Windows is starting to catch up to mac in the digital and reliability world and mac is not doing much about it except adding in useless gimmies such as widgets. Imovie, and Iphoto you might say is better, but esentially they are both for the same purpose, basic video editing. Also, new OSs like Xp media center are even more media inclined than APPLE! I say, watch out apple!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
A troll is someone who posts deliberately posts a message that will cause flaming/arguing.

(I realize if you're new here, so I don't know, maybe it wasn't intentional... but if it wasn't, realize that saying something like MS is going to overtake Apple is totally baiting people)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Let me tell a fun story... I just got back to college after my break and since I have been back my roomates windows machine has locked up twice! However, my mac has been running for a week straight (powerbook 12") with no problem. Windows overtake mac..... hardly..

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Chaszmyr said:
A troll is someone who posts deliberately posts a message that will cause flaming/arguing.

I have no intention to cause arguing, but I have used windows my whole life and only have friends who love macs. thats why i am thinking about buying one.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
pianodude123 said:
I have no intention to cause arguing, but I have used windows my whole life and only have friends who love macs. thats why i am thinking about buying one.
Then let me explain something. Apple and Microsoft have been directly competing for 2 decades, and Apple is still around. Furthermore, in the last few years, Apple has done nothing but gain ground.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Seriously, if you want to try a mac then by all means do so. I promise you once you start using one for awhile you will have a hard time with windows. Sure, windows may have great software (I have used windows movie maker and it was not had) but the OS is just not reliable enough to power these apps. With mac you can do so much more on systems that are even a few years old. Now if windows could get the reliability of mac... then we could be talking some competition. Give mac a try and let us know what you think :)

keithpetey

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
he probally doesn't own a mac thats why. i couldnt understand how mac users could say macs were better until i bought one. go buy one and ill bet youll never question windows being better than osx.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
pianodude123 said:
But you are standing on the line, the past threads you have started and a few of your posts can make people think you are a troll.

If you want to learn stuff, ask and don't bash or start threads of Window vs. Apple nature (too many of those, that we don't need more).

Especially right after the "WILL THE PMs PRICE DROP?!?!?!" thread. :(

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
pianodude123 said:
:eek: First XP,
Right, Windows 2000 with the most badly designed bits of Windows 98 thrown in for backwards compatability and a very performance-damaging GUI.

Also known as the OS that one can override ALL limited access settings just by opening the command prompt in a limited account.

then Movie Maker,
A peice of crap compared to iMovie. It can only save in WMV (a proprietary format no one but Windows PC's use, goodbye Linux, goodbye VCD, goodbye DVD) and completely uncompressed AVI (30 seconds of video literally takes up a hundred megabytes).

Plus no DVD burning capability whatsoever.
the attractive solitare,
Whoopdedo, freely downloadable for Mac OS X.

new organized look,
LOL

antispyware,
Not built in, you have to buy it seperately. Mac OS X HAS no spyware to affect it, so we're safe.

reliability,
LOL

lower price,
$300 for XP Pro is a lower price?

more compatibility/stability,
ROFL
Compared to Windows 98 or ME, maybe ;)
media is handled better.
What are you talking about? XP doesn't even support DVD burners, for Billy's sake!

The reason I say this is that Windows is starting to catch up to mac in the digital and reliability world and mac is not doing much about it except adding in useless gimmies such as widgets. Imovie, and Iphoto you might say is better, but esentially they are both for the same purpose, basic video editing.
Basic? iMovie blows most COMMERCIAL video editors out of the water.

Windows still has vulnerability to viruses (90,000 viruses for Windows vs 0 for Mac) and spyware (again, 0 for Mac).

Windows still is buggy.

Windows still has more security holes than any OS on the planet.

Windows still is based on the architecture of Windows 3.1. Go start->run and type progman and see what you get.

Windows is the only operating system in the world that SLOWS DOWN WHEN YOU INSTALL TOO MUCH SOFTWARE! And this is so common that people think it's normal!

I can get into ANY file or folder at the school PC's just by opening command prompt, despite the lockout.

Windows is still a peice of crap, dressed up to look nice.

Also, new OSs like Xp media center are even more media inclined than APPLE! I say, watch out apple!
Windows XP Media Center edition. Oh, big deal. It does nothing Windows XP can't do except burn DVD's, oh, but it has a flashy interface for technophobes who can't double click on a video file!

P.S Ironically, right as I said "reliability" my IE browser crashed!
That's MS reliability for you.

People think that Windows XP is so great, but once you've used Mac OS X and understand the technical underlyings of Windows you just shake your head.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm going to tackle this one point at a time.

First XP - not sure what you're saying here.
Movie Maker - I've never used this.
the attractive solitare - are you serious? :eek:
new organized look - if anything, I find Windows to be very disorganised.
antispyware - Mac has no spyware in the first place.
reliability - Windows is better than it used to be but still crashes more than Mac OS.
lower price - you can't compare a software-only product (Windows) with a soft/hardware combination (Mac).
more compatibility - I agree that Windows wins this one.
stability - see Reliability.
media is handled better - Mac does this better in my opinion with its mount/eject philosophy.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pianodude123 said:
... First XP, then Movie Maker, the attractive solitare, new organized look, antispyware, ....
I'm sorry, it's hard to explain. I had RealJukeBox long before iTunes. And I think I had iPhoto-esque software too. But it wasn't until my iBook that I really started using them.

You might not be a troll, but LOL, only a Windows-only user could keep a straight face while listing solitaire and anti-spyware as strengths of the Windows world. :D

But I do have to admit...as much as no OS made me really use things like iTunes as much as I started once I got my iBook and Panther, no OS has made we want to play Solitaire (oooh, and Hearts! :)) like the Windows family. I have never once had the desire to play cards with my iBook. So MS does have that market cornered. :cool:

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Lol, if Apple adds Solitaire and Hearts to the default "Software" package for OSX, then that argument goes out the window.

Meh, what the heck, add Ski Free to that list as well. Ski Free on my iBook during class? Ah. Priceless.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
ROFL! Watch out Apple? Why is it that Microsoft is trying desperately to copy everything that Apple does, and why is it Microsoft that is losing ground in their market share? Why are PC users switching to Linux and Mac? Neither platform has solitaire pre-installed!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
dsharits said:
Actually, Mac users already have a better version of solitaire that uses Open GL to render some pretty cool 3D graphics. Go ahead, argue with the eye candy on this, PC boy.
At least we're not debating the finer points of the platform based soley on the OS's support for online Poker. :p

Though solitaire does come in a close second, one small leap from playing a game of cards by yourself to taking your credit card and leaping into online poker.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Fun Fact: Windows dosen't include an MPEG-2 decoder. Therefore, it can't even play DVDs out of the box! You gotta buy WinDVD or a program that includes a Windows Media Framework compatible MPEG-2 codec, in order to play DVDs in any Windows program (except maybe VideoLAN).

Anouther Fun Fact: WindowsXP isn't just Windows2000 with extra stuff. It's actully got quite a lot of rebuilt stuff. Windows Server 2003 is based on XP, not 2000. XP still stucks though, though it is the least suckiest version of Windows yet.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mkrishnan said:
You mean iHearts, naturally? Oooh, I smell a rumor. :D
iHearts rhymes with iFarts

Sorry, that hit me and I couldn't get it out of my head in time before I clicked that Submit Reply button. :rolleyes:

Jalexster said:
Fun Fact: Windows dosen't include an MPEG-2 decoder. Therefore, it can't even play DVDs out of the box! You gotta buy WinDVD or a program that includes a Windows Media Framework compatible MPEG-2 codec, in order to play DVDs in any Windows program (except maybe VideoLAN).
Yeah, caught my dad on that one. Score one for the PowerBook! :D
It is really really annoying to have that limitation.....