Is wireless iPhone battery charging really gonna happen? Now that its WIFI sync...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Is that charging pad where the battery absorbs energy through the case still gonna happen? Whats the latest word around town on that?

Now that the phone is iCloud enabled and totally synchs without me ever having to shift my weight around and move my ligaments to reach for a cable to plug it in, it would be neat to also set it down on a charging pad real quick and have it all feel seamlessly magical.

The concern I have is performance.

Do these theoretical systems pose a weaker battery life and life cycle? Is it perfectly just as efficient performance-wise or are there tradeoffs and drawbacks to such a function? Does it last as long etc...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Only way to do this is via inductive charging. It would add size to the device as it would require coils and other hardware in the phone increasing it's size.

I do not see a lot of demand for this, if you have ever seen the powermat system . . . well it is ugly

4. Vizin, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

They should just do like Blackberry does with those little metal contacts at the bottom of the phone, that can be docked. Then again, it would only be slightly more convenient than using the 30pin dock

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Buy a dock. Instead of laying the device down, you set it in a dock. Seriously, this is one of the least important things I have ever seen in electronics -- and I hate cables! Unless the back of an iPhone is made out of solar cells that are way better than the ones we have today and you sit your phone outside all the time -- during the day -- you aren't going to have anything much better than docking the phone. PowerMat has a cable somewhere, so I don't see the great benefit. It's a neat technology, but just not practical to force me to spend $100 or so.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Not until WiTricity makes more progress. It requires large magnets as base units. We have a ways to go for this.

The wireless syncing is nothing special - it's just wifi. It is in no way related to wireless charging.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I would really love to see the MagSafe connector used for the iPhone. Except that I'd have to replace the docks in my cars... :p

9. Vizin, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I am willing to bet that the OP made this thread because he didn't think it was possible to charge something wirelessly hence he has not replied (trolled back) like in all other threads he has made, lol!

Hurray!

11. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

beaming so much energy over the air probably will cause some health issues.

12. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Actually you need to have the device laying on the pad to have it charge, it won't even charge if it's not laying on it, so that should not be any issue.

However, this guy is a troll, just look at all the threads he has made..

13. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's almost like the evil twin of himynameiscody.

14. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Hahaha! :D

15. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

The sad thing is that I suspect he's not even aware of his trollery... :eek: