Is Worldwide Discrimination Against Atheists Really Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cromulent, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Is Worldwide Discrimination Against Atheists Really Getting Worse? Big Report From Humanist Organization Says Yes

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...g-report-from-humanist-organization-says-yes/

Although Islamic countries are by far the worst offenders when it comes to discrimination against atheists they are by no means the only ones.

Opinions in many countries (including the US) towards atheists are less than ideal. Yet atheism is growing according to some figures and is here to stay. It is about time that religious people realised that there views are not the only views that should be listened too.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

As an Atheist, I've personally never felt "discriminated" in this part of the US. Can't speak for other regions of this country or other countries. As a matter of fact, when my lack of faith comes up in conversations with people, I find that many people feel the same way. And the ones who don't feel the same way usually don't vilify me for my lack of faith, that's a pretty rare occurrence.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You and me both.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

This goes for the entire western civilization I think.
    I skimmed the OPs article again and egypt, saudia arabia and malaysia are pretty much the worst, most backwards doo-doo holes on the entire planet. (Not mentioning africa of course. That place is in a league all by its own anyway.)

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm also confused by the OP's actual question. Discriminated by whom? The government? Public establishments? Or by individual people? In this country, it would be illegal to discriminate against an Atheist in a public establishment in all 50 states. It's against the law (you know, that law you said you were against).

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The worst countries in the world are all Muslim.

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yeah, but they named the stars, so there's that....

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've never felt discriminated against because of my non-religious beliefs.

Hell, we send our son to a church preschool, and even there we have no problems.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Clearly :rolleyes:

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I didn't realise North Korea was Muslim...

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

What point are you trying to get across by enriching this thread with such a lovely picture?

----------

You are right. Their state religion is a fundamentalist form of atheism.
    Not all atheists will condone North Korea and not all muslims will condone Saudia Arabia. Every religion has its place in the grand scheme of things as long as they don't harm anyone.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, that excludes just about all of them except the Baha'i and the Unitarians.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If NKs were atheists they wouldn't be worshipping someone as having super powers and the leadership structure would topple in a day.

----------

They are also the most peaceful countries*

*subject to verification of your Islamic faith, results may vary, side effects may include acid throwing, suicide bombing, beheadings, or mutilation.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

its not only Muslim countries that contain a variety of arseholes ;)

Officially North Korea doesn't have a state religion, the have the Juche ideology which was first referenced in the 1950's by Kim Il-Sung, I think it was a way of distancing themself from the Stalinist ideologies from the USSR, but realistically its just a blend of Leninism, Marxism, Stalinism, Maoism and a bit of confucianism. By definition most communist states are/have been atheist, because the ultimate cause its the state, not the preservation of and belief in a deity, Mao even went as far as to quash religion by destroying religious artwork etc in the cultural revolution.

Unofficially the two largest religions in DPRK are old school Korean Shamanism and Chondoism (which is also a confucianist ideology).

I've only just realised the DPRK comment was a joke, but I've type all that up now, so I'll leave it incase anyone is interested/cares.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm agnostic because I lack the faith to be atheist. I live in the south. A common question asked down here is, "What church do you attend?" I've seen the mouth gaping stare when I tell them that I don't attend church. Many church goers, particularly of the Baptist flavor seem to think agnosticism is kin to devil worshiping.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

You should start telling them you're pastafarian

18. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sorry for the late response.

This thread is clearly about global discrimination to atheism. Western countries may well fair better than other nations but you can't deny the fact that many countries in the world are completely against atheism and are willing to put them to death for their (lack of) beliefs.

Pretty sickening.

Christians always moan about how they are discriminated against (at least the US Christians do on my Facebook wall) but they have it easy in comparison to atheists. There are laws in some US states that say you can't be an atheist if you want to hold public office. How is that not discrimination?

http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2012-05-unelectable-atheists-us-states-that-prohibit-godless

See the link above for a clear indication of discrimination against atheists in the US. Europe is much better on the whole when compared to the US as atheism is much more accepted here and there no such laws restricting their ability to enter public office.

And don't forget the original purpose of this thread which is global discrimination not just that which is displayed in western nations.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Is point that in North Korea, you can walk around with sign protesting anything you want without fear of government sanction. Too bad we can't do that in the United States? :rolleyes:

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Down here the correct answer is to name a Baptist or Methodist church. If you name a non-denominational you might come out unscathed but anything else is going to result in them praying for you.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Is Dr. Neil assisting NASA in making Muslim's feel good about themselves, or is he just another timid apologist?

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Apologist for what exactly?

Its a well documented fact that the brightest stars where named the earliest, and mostly have arabic names as astronomy was a big thing in the arab nations at the time.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Algebra and algorithm also come from the Arabs. What of that? Suddenly the Muslim world is the vanguard of scientific progress?

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

The countries mentioned in the article discriminate against every non-muslim. Not just atheists.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

You're still not answering the question what Dr. Neil is being an apologist for?

Should islam be ashamed of naming the earliest stars? Whats your point caller?