Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I am using the same cover from my 2 with my 3, and while it fits, the magnets are not putting the screen to sleep nor waking it up. Anyone else having this issue? Thx.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
I bought a leather cover from Apple a couple days after I preordered the new iPad and it works perfectly. I'm assuming it's the same as an iPad 2 cover.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
They moved the sensor on the new iPad. Many users of non-Apple covers are having the same problem.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Bought a dodocase for an iPad 2 from eBay and was worried it would not fit. Very happy with the fit.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Yes, but barely. IPad 3 squeezes into leather journal-type iPad 2 case as a pretty tight fit. Hoping the leather will stretch out over time, relax, and conform better.

celinedion1

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
California
I have an apple smart cover and it works great. I love that I can put my iPad to sleep just by closing the cover. What will they think of next. :apple:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
They moved the sensor on the new iPad. Many users of non-Apple covers are having the same problem.

I should have specified, but mine is not the Apple branded smart cover. I have the Monoprice 8456 iPad 2 cover (which I have always liked with my iPad 2). It fits fine on my new iPad. Playing with the cover more, I found that I have to misalign the cover by about 10 degrees to get it to work. That definitely supports your point that the sensor is slightly moved. Too bad this cover does not work in the natural position for putting it to sleep or waking up the iPad. I'm sure they'll eventually come out with an updated version.

rkenned

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Magnetic Polarity

The switch in the new iPad that allows a cover to put it into sleep mode is only activated by the negative (or south) polarity of a magnet. If the magnet in the smart cover you have has the positive (or north) polarity facing the screen it will not turn the screen off. (I have tested this on over smart 20 covers using a magnetic polarity tester). This is a new twist that Apple put in the new iPad. Either polarity will put the iPad 2 into sleep mode, so a case for that device has a 50-50 chance of working properly on the new iPad.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I have a Marware CEO Hybrid for the iPad 2 in which the iPad with an anti-glare screen film barely fits.

I have always been annoyed that removing the iPad from this case seemed to turn it off/on, but I have the wake with cover setting off. Can this behavior be changed?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The switch in the new iPad that allows a cover to put it into sleep mode is only activated by the negative (or south) polarity of a magnet. If the magnet in the smart cover you have has the positive (or north) polarity facing the screen it will not turn the screen off. (I have tested this on over smart 20 covers using a magnetic polarity tester). This is a new twist that Apple put in the new iPad. Either polarity will put the iPad 2 into sleep mode, so a case for that device has a 50-50 chance of working properly on the new iPad.

Very interesting. So it's not that the sensor in the iPad has changed location ... that would explain why old smart covers still work.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So does this mean going forward, all Apple Smart Covers will be fitted with the correct facing polarity? Should people wait a while before purchasing one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.