Is your service worse with the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Oct 16, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I noticed I am on Edge quite a bit while I am at work, or no service at all. It is a bad area to begin with but my 4 would show 3G more often then not. I also notice less signal and calls drop or won't connect even leaving my work area when I drive away. My 4 was a little trooper! Always seemed to try really hard even in the worst signal areas.

Does having 4G mean the new iPhone 5 won't revert to 3G? Or is it only 4G or Edge and that's it? I leave LTE off because it is not available in my area.

I have AT&T

2. iAi macrumors 6502

Are you with AT&T? :p

Oh, I missed that last sentence. :D

3. darster Suspended

I get better LTE service on verizon with my iPhone than I did with my previous Android LTE phone, and better service than I got with my iphone 4 on verizon.

4. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

AT&T said I don't have LTE in my area and I should leave it off to save on battery life.

5. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

I work in the 7th level of a 8-story garage. When i had my iphone 4, i would get decent edge signal at work. But with the iphone 5, im almost always with "no service."

I'm with at&t

6. danniexi macrumors 6502

Coming from an iPhone 4 (ATT) to the iPhone 5 (ATT), quality has improved. I get less dropped calls, the signal strength is a little stronger, but most importantly, call quality has vastly improved (probably more down to the noise cancellation earpiece than anything else).

7. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

^Right....So if anyone knows....Since the 5 has 4G, can it also use 3G? I don't ever actually see '3G' on the phone, so I can't tell if it's backwards compatible.

8. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

4G on the iphone 5 is technically 3G. This is how it works:

iPhone 4: 3G > Edge
    iPhone 5: LTE > 4G > Edge

9. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Wait so the iPhone can't use 3G at all :confused:

10. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

well, 4G is just a marketing hype for carriers. It's not really up to par with what actual 4G speeds need to be. At&t's 4G is HSPA+, which is just an upgraded 3G network.

So, since you technically are using 3G (HSPA+), just with the "4G" moniker.

11. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Oh I see, thanks. But the fact that they're pretty much false advertising their network is even worse than if it couldn't get 3g, lol.

12. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

haha seriously. These marketing scams lure in ppl who don't know about this caveat. Good thing we're on this forum eh? lolz

13. lawlbringer macrumors regular

I've swapped sims and still only manage 2-3 bars most of the time regardless of LTE being on. AT&T's network in Northern Virginia is just mediocre or I've had multiple bad phones and sims.

Not that it's that big of a deal(I can still make calls) but it drains my battery quicker and its noticeable.

14. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Do you know if any of the canadian carriers lie about it too?

15. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Forgive my ignorance. But is my phone even trying to use 3G or is it ONLY 4G and Edge which once was the 3G service and now just renamed? I leave LTE off because of availability.

I guess I'm asking for more clarity because my service seems more spotty then before and I am seeing Edge more too.

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

You should take some time off if you're on edge every time you're at work.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

On AT&T, "4G" on your iPhone is for all intents and purposes, the same as 3G.

It's not about what your phone is trying to do. AT&T just renamed the 3G HSPA+ network "4G" on the iPhone.

18. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I'm in NY, and I get soooo much better service now with LTE. I think once everyone migrates to the 5 (or other LTE phones) it will get worse again, but for now I'm totally loving it. -- AT&T

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually get better service. I swear when I had my 4S if I wans't "holding it right" I would drop calls. Since getting the 5, I have had zero issues :)

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

But don't forget you will never drop to 3G. even if you're on HSPA, the indication will still say "4G".

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm now on VZW (was on ATT with the iPhone 4) and my signal strength has improved in some areas. Where I was only getting 1 maybe 2 bars in my office, I'm pulling in 3 to 4. Generally the signal strength is nearly the same but I live in an area where ATT and VZW have good coverage.

22. QuasarZ macrumors member

I've noticed worse signal. Mine bounces from the 3G icon to the circle a lot.

23. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

This seems like an issue with At&t in your area.

I am on verizon and on the rare occasion that I don't have 4g LTE service I only bounce down to 3G.

Which is part of the reason I left At&t.

----------

Isn't that when you are on a call?

----------

wow....glad I left At&t. Got sick of there crabby service.

24. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

people can bash the price of Verizon all day every day... fact is, I've NEVER had problems. Should an emergency arise where I need to communicate using my phone, that extra $20/month premium I pay for a reliable network will pay for itself 10x

25. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

The US networks seem to have managed quite well in messing with the established terms.

There is only 3G and LTE (which is effectively 4G).

What the US networks call 4G isn't that at all, UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA are all 3G.

GPRS and EDGE are both 2G.