Is your state "tight" or "loose"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 7, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This theory (of social psychology) seems a bit too complicated. Still, the important thing is that they came up with a good map, and, I love good maps:

[​IMG]

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/us-states-tightness-looseness-map

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wow. It's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway up in New England and over on the west coast.

4. G51989, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Clearly, here in New York, very loose. Pretty much anything goes here culture wise.

This is why I could only live on the coasts, I don't think I could go back to living in the middle.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Damn, Oregon is looking really good. That, along with no state sales tax makes it more and more enticing to move up there. Better yet, just across the river in WA. Buy down in Oregon (no sales tax), no state income tax across the river.

BL.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There's a reason it's called the "fly-over".:D

Ooh...I'm gonna get yelled at for that one!:eek:

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

All the states I've lived in are 49.9 or less. Two of which I'm rather surprised about.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Odd that NY is so green. Gun bans, smoking bans, electric cigarette bans (same as regular cigarettes), Trying to ban large size sodas, ban food donations to homeless shelters and so on. That does not sound to loose culturally to me.

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Say it with me: SOCIAL NORMS, not laws.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

All of the things you said have no relevance to the rankings at all.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand if you go to Alabama one might get shot at for saying that country and western sucks, or that Hilary Clinton should be president, or that gay love rules - even with a TV crew in tow.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

New York City, America's melting pot. Been living in the NYC area for years, and I am never ever moving.

I don't know if you realize this, guns are legal and are for sale in the state of New York.

New York is not the only state to do this, the people generally support this.

I am a smoker ( I do E Cigs now trying to quit ), however I only really do it in the car and at home, not in public places.

Didn't happen.

So, the only way you would be restricted in New York is if you had an AR15 on your chest, you were overweight from drinking to much corn, and lung issues from chain smoking in bars. If you don't do that its ok.

You need to read deeper into that

New York is one of the most diverse states in the country because of NYC, its very loose culture wise.

----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrimMyOoEDA

Alabama man!

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I somehow never heard of this one before. Reality TV and all. So, after watching this hilariously scary episode, I googled. I guess it was somewhat controversial at the time. Some folks said it was real, some folks said it was staged, and some folks said it was real but the editing made it seem a whole lot worse than it really was. I guess I will never know. Apparently the most controversial part of the episode was the messing with the dead cow.

But, I was a little surprised by their reaction to post-Katrina New Orleans. It wasn't like cleaning up after football hooliganism.

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Honestly, they had a VERY good point on that.

Some areas of New Orleans are STILL in that condition.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Even if my salary were quadrupled there is no way in hell I would ever move back to New York City. I'll go back to visit family and vacation, but live? Hell no.

It's always going to home, but never a place I would want to live in again.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I am the other way, I keep a decent apartment in NYC, and I keep my main house/land/business about 45 mins north.

I Love NYC, its everything I want in a city in America. Lots of business opperitnyty as well.

The only other places I would consider would be...Chicago...Boston...or San Francisco or maybe Seattle or San Diego

Where did you move to from NYC?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I spent the first 35 years of my life in Queens (Forest Hills and Bayside) and wouldn't trade it for anything. I live on Long Island now but the city is but a 4 block walk to the LIRR and a 28 minute ride.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I was just surprised that they were surprised.

20. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

People from the 1st world, would automatically assume that after that period of time had passed, the richest country in the world would have rebuilt areas of of its large cities destroyed by a storm.

When they come to a second world country and see it, it shouldn't surprise them. Poor areas in America are generally left to rot and get worse.

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Bounced around with the military for a bit, so all over, but I got married and kept a main residence in Salt Lake City, UT. Been "living" here for 10 years, and it's probably where I will stay.

Only other state I would seriously consider is Oregon.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That was like the anti-Stephen Fry in America.

I have to call BS on it, though. The main reason being that there's no way in hell the Top Gear guys or their producers would've done anything that'd put anyone on the show in direct peril. The whole thing was likely staged.

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Utah is not a bad either, neither is Oregon. If you like it, why not?

I couldn't live in those states no, nothing fun to do.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Born and raised in Brooklyn. Mostly lived in Cyprus Hills, East New York, and Brownsville until I turned 21. Lived on the Upper West Side and Gramercy for a little bit as an adult. Then 9/11 happened and I decided to serve.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No No No!! Oregon is awful and Washington sucks the big one. They are nasty, horrible places to live, from Denio Junction all the way up to Neah Bay. The people are total jerks, all of them, and the weather is intolerable. Tell all your friends not to consider relocating to either of these hell-pits.

(And do not be deceived by how it seems if you happen to visit, PNWers treat guests rather nicely, but no one should ever consider trying to live in this horrendous region.)