Is your top row of keys crooked on your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CoolMacDude, Oct 20, 2008.

1. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

My top row of keys looks crooked from the front if you look at it level from the front. Its hard to notice from above but you can see it. They look like little ramps going from the left to right with the right being higher.

I also have a small spot that looks like a nick in the aluminum about the size of a pin.

I called Apple as it was a BTO 2.8 system with the 7200rpm drive. They said I can pay for a whole new system and when I get it send the old system back (which I can't do right now), send it back and they will start me a new BTO that takes 3-5 days after they get mine back, or they will give me 200 to "live with it."

I'm a bit of an anal perfectionist so it bugs me.

I don't want to go 2 weeks without my new computer (ship to China and wait for new BTO and ship from China). I love the system. The screen is in immaculate condition with no dead pixels and I don't have the battery compartment not fitting right issue.

Should I just suck it up and keep it or send it back?

2. KSpider macrumors regular

Yeah my top row is a little crooked, nothing i would care about.

However, Upon opening my MBP I also have a small scratch on the computer on the wrist wrest area right on the edge.

If i took it to the store, what would make them believe me saying it was there when i opened it?

Yes, it is anal, but I pride myself in not scratching my computers, and if it scratches I would like it to be MY fault...

3. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I don't use credit cards and I would prefer not to have to pull that much out of my account to do an exchange even if I do get it back in a couple weeks.

I might be taking the risk of getting another with the same issue. I tried to get them to send one to the store and do an in store exchange but they said the online/retail don't share inventory and it would be impossible to track.

I guess I'll just try to overlook it until the next upgrade.

Thanks again for your reply.

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Ask apple about a waiver form. THey send you this you fill it in with your credit card details it is a contract between you and apple that allows you to keep your existing machine and they send you a new one. If within 5 days you have not arranged for collection of first machine they will bill you for it. I have done this many a time for BTO machines. Sod being with out a machine for days.

5. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Is it five days from the time you receive the new unit? Or five days from the time they set it up? Cause they are doing 3-5 day build plus shipping. I just don't want to go without the computer.

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

It is Fives day from when you receive the new machine. As this then allows you to transfer your data etc. I have just dine it with my BTO 17" MBP as new machines came out. They sent me one out and I have just returned the old one today.

FRom my email with the waiver form.

"Thank you for calling the Apple Store today.

I have set up a return for you and put a replacement on order.

The replacement product has been placed on hold until we receive a signed copy of the waiver form (please see attached). You may print, sign and return this form either as a document scanned and sent via email, or by fax to the following number, marked for my attention: <insert fax number>. We will release the order when we receive the signed waiver form"

7. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Do you still have the blank form? If so if I pm you my e-mail address would you be willing to send it to me? If I have it at least I can tell them I know it exist. I asked about something like this and they said no such thing, even after I talked to someone in management.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yeah sure, I am going to blank out all my details and the names of people as I have not got there consent.

Simon

9. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Simon,

Thanks.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have Pm you and sent you the attachment. Hope it all works out for you.

11. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Mine is slanted as well. It's kind of annoying but I'm not sure it's worth trying to get it replaced since I've already installed everything on this puppy and finally get it setup. The F3 key is the one that is really bad. I think I'll live with it because I think it is only cosmetic.

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yep my number keys are crooked as are my middle keys, I have made an appointment with a genius to swap the machine. I simply have to pull my HDD out and place in new machines and I am off.

13. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Let me know if you have any trouble swapping it out. I hate dealing with my store. (When I had problems with my Air and the core shutdowns, they just kept brushing me off and I had to fight with them to do anything.)

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I really hate reading these types of things when im waiting for my BTO MBP!!! Doesnt make it any easier. :(

Might be worth attaching that form for everyone else :p im a perfectionist as well so will be sending it back if its not 99.9-100% :)

15. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Well, to be fair, you probably won't have a problem with yours. I don't think this is some wide spread thing as I have been doing research and not a lot of folks are complaining about it. I'm more concerned with if I do swap it out if I'll get something like a dead pixel or something. I had that happen before and it drove me crazy and they wouldn't exchange it because it was only 2 red spots and they said I had to have more for it to warrant a replacement. Other than the crooked keys, this laptop is outstanding!

16. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea i would hate to give something back to only get the same/worse problem straight back!

17. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I've got both problems, too. The keys slope left to right in the center of the top row and middle of the keyboard and there are two nicks in the aluminum to the left of the trackpad.

:mad:

18. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

19. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

It sounds like something in the design/manufacturing of the chicklet keyboard that is causing this... and probably when more people actually look for it, they'll notice something similar. Unless it's severe, if the rest of the machine seems fine I'd probably recommend keeping it. Just make sure the keys all function properly, and the action on them is smooth.

As far a scratches... for the person who only likes scratches he caused, I completely understand, but again, if the machine is otherwise good, just give it a little love scratch of your own - call it a battle scar - and fall in love. Over time all hard working tools show a little character from use. See them as a badge of honor... not a flaw. :) I'm being a bit humorous, but I'm also serious. Unless you want to endure all the hassle and time of swapping out computers ad-nauseum until you happen to get a "perfect" one. The only way you can do that efficiently is to go directly to an Apple store, and open each one, fire it up before accepting it and heading out the door. I can imagine all the open boxes lying around the Apple store, however. :cool:

20. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I'll try to take one tomorrow. It's most obvious in F2 to F6, but a few others exhibit the same problem and pressing them doesn't seem to reseat them.

I torn about calling Apple. I have a CTO model, so it's not as easy as going to the store to talk a Genius into swapping for a different one.

21. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Mine are also crooked. But everything else on the machine is flawless so I don't think I'm going to take it back. I have a feeling if I take it back I'll receive a display with a dead pixel or something.