iSight Camera

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Why is Apple marketing the iPad camera as an iSight camera? They changed all the Mac ones from iSight to FaceTime. I don't see the point in them calling the camera designed for shooting photos "iSight".

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Why is Apple marketing the iPad camera as an iSight camera? They changed all the Mac ones from iSight to FaceTime. I don't see the point in them calling the camera designed for shooting photos "iSight".
This confuses me as well it was a very quiet change from iSight to Facetime and now we are going back?

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Yeah bizarre, why would they rename iSight to FaceTime, then call the back camera which does not need a name iSight?

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
So the iPhone back facing camera will be called an iSight too?

Maybe they are trying to market the camera was something significant over other devices, and couldn't coin up anything other than iSight, since they already have the trademark.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
They explained it in the keynote, something about when they put in the effort and use their special lens and stuff it gets upgraded to "iSight"

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Maybe iSight is for the back and FaceTime is for the front?
Thats what i say. isight camera will now refer to all rear cameras(with those lenses) on the iOS devices while facetime will continue to be the front facing camera on all thier devices. Seems pretty obvious to me.

could be wrong

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Agreed. This is puzzling why Apple chose to market it this way. When I think iSight, I think video conferencing. Unless you're just broadcasting what you're seeing (and not you) to the person on the other end, FaceTime on iPad is still done with the VGA camera on the front.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Agreed. All the rear-facing cameras on iOS devices will now be called iSight. I was also surprised to see the name iSight pop back up after being ousted from the Mac. I assume this is just for marketing. No one else can say their tablets and phones have an iSight camera.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
They explained it in the keynote, something about when they put in the effort and use their special lens and stuff it gets upgraded to "iSight"
Thats what i say. isight camera will now refer to all rear cameras(with those lenses) on the iOS devices while facetime will continue to be the front facing camera on all thier devices. Seems pretty obvious to me.
I know - but given that iSight was originally Apple's marketing term for their webcams, seems strange to suddenly use it to describe "high-end" cameras in portable devices.