Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Suddenly today my iSight video image has the attached interference pattern flashing on and off.

Has anyone seen this before?

I have quickly tested the following:

1. Unplugging bluetooth USB dongle.

2. Tested another firewire cable.

3. Swapped firewire socket used.

4. Rebooted.

5. Restarted iChat AV.

6. Turned off cordless phone (not base station) that is next to computer.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• isight.gif
    isight.gif
    70.8 KB · Views: 121

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mrzippy said:
Suddenly today my iSight video image has the attached interference pattern flashing on and off.

Has anyone seen this before?

I have quickly tested the following:

1. Unplugging bluetooth USB dongle.

2. Tested another firewire cable.

3. Swapped firewire socket used.

4. Rebooted.

5. Restarted iChat AV.

6. Turned off cordless phone (not base station) that is next to computer.

Thanks for any help.
I'd check the FireWire cable on the end connected to the iSight - it might be loose.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The isight firewire cable is cheap and crappy. There are tons of reports of it failing. Don't be surprised to see "isight camera in use by other application" soon.

Where the hell does apple get these cables from? I've made better VGA cables than that in the DVI->VGA adapter out of lamp cord and tin foil!

[edit: I took a high quality Firewire cable with a square head on it and shaved off the corners, it worked perfectly with the isight stand (just make it real snug in the stand and use the head itself to hold the isight, set your clips aside.)]

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mrzippy said:
As I said I've tried a different firewire cable.
Odds are that it's one of two things:
1. Some other device than the ones you tested is interfering with the iSight. For example, if you have one of those ultrasonic pest repellents, unplug it or turn it off when you're using the iSight.
2. Your iSight has a hardware problem. For example, the lens may be loose, or the FireWire port on the iSight isn't connecting fully with the cable, even though the cable is plugged in properly.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Odds are that it's one of two things:
1. Some other device than the ones you tested is interfering with the iSight. For example, if you have one of those ultrasonic pest repellents, unplug it or turn it off when you're using the iSight.
2. Your iSight has a hardware problem. For example, the lens may be loose, or the FireWire port on the iSight isn't connecting fully with the cable, even though the cable is plugged in properly.

I have wiggled the firewire cable around in the base of the iSight, along with changing the cable.

I don't have any new devices in the house, and the iSight always worked OK before.

Recently sold my 2nd Mac in lieu of getting an iMac G5 to replace it, so I don't have another computer to test on :(

I wish I had another computer to test on.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
A few days after I last posted the camera died completely and just kept making a clicking sound....

I submitted an online support request and Apple sent me a UPS bag to return the camera within 24 hours.

Within 7 days of me returning the camera I received a replacement.

The replacement DOES NOT WORK :(

And I was impressed with the speed of service.

The new camera freezes after a few minutes use, and disappears from system profiler.

Oh well have filed another support request.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.