iSight light won't turn off and iMac freezes at shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LG25, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LG25 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, tonight I started having trouble with my intel iMac (running OSX 10.4.11). I'm having issues with two things (bolded for those skimming):

Out of seemingly nowhere, my iSight light turned on and now wont turn off. The only program I had open at the time was Firefox. When I try to open up PhotoBooth it says this:

[​IMG]

There's nothing listed under USB High-Speed Bus in the system profiler either.

I've tried logging out of my user account, restarting, shutting down, unplugging and holding the back button for 5 seconds ...none of that worked. I tried resetting my Mac's PRAM and NVRAM. That didn't work either, and that's where a second problem appeared: when I try to shut my computer off, it freezes. I have to shut it off by holding the back button.

Is repairing the permissions and/or disk worth a shot? Or should I just take it straight into the Apple store? I hope it's not a hardware issue because I just recently had a new hard-drive installed after it broke down on December 15.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any other info, let me know.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like hardware to me. Have you booted from any other source since this started, like your original install disks? If not, try booting from something else and see if both problems persist. If they do, then it's likely to be hardware, but if not, try just reinstalling the OS.

jW

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and run the command:

Code:
    sudo killall VDCAssistant
    When it asks for a password enter your Admin password.

See if that helps.