iSight not recognized because of secondary monitor as primary?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
As the title would suggest, my iSight is not being recognized because my iMac is not the primary (using a 20" dell thingy as my primary because it's bigger)

I feel like it's stupid to force me to use the iMac as primary just because of the damn iSight. (photo, for the hell of it)

Any way around this?

(edit for newcomers to this thread, resolved by resetting SMU)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'm using a 20" LG204WT with my MBP, and the internal iSight gets recognised fine when the external monitor is primary (basically whenever it's plugged in).

does it show up in system profiler under USB?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
i'm using a 20" LG204WT with my MBP, and the internal iSight gets recognised fine when the external monitor is primary (basically whenever it's plugged in).

does it show up in system profiler under USB?
No, should it? (under USB? it's an internal iSight in the iMac... just making sure)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Hmmmm... what would cause it not to show? (I know it functions without the secondary monitor aspect)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Is it recognized if you don't use the external monitor?

Have you tried unplugging other USB devices in case there's a conflict?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Yes it did work yesterday before office got rearranged. (it wasn't manhandled or anything, the thing flew thousands of miles from the US damn it, surely it can move 2 feet to the right)
Now even with iMac being primary it doesn't "see" the iSight. Unplugged the secondary, switched users... still nothing. (not application specific either)

Just fab. :rolleyes:

edit:

Freaking YES! I reset the SMU and it worked. (even with the secondary monitor primary)

I admit it, I was wrong to doubt it. :p

Thanks guys :)