Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Does anyone know if the new iSight package mentioned on the pages with the new displays is shipping yet?

"Magnetic Personality
To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the iSight Accessory Kit."

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Xenious said:
Does anyone know if the new iSight package mentioned on the pages with the new displays is shipping yet?

"Magnetic Personality
To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the iSight Accessory Kit."

I wonder if I can't mount it to my hard drive brackets... :p

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
but aluminium is not magnetic :confused: theres probably some steel in there for it to attract to though

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
?>":>#@":"HARD DRIVE FAILURE""}?{?

Isn't it a little dangerous having a magnet so close to a display? Let alone a computer? Or are LCDs less vulnerable to magnetic waves then are CRTs... fill me in.
-ij

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
pdpfilms said:
Isn't it a little dangerous having a magnet so close to a display? Let alone a computer? Or are LCDs less vulnerable to magnetic waves then are CRTs... fill me in.
-ij
i want to think thats only with crts, but i could be wrong.

iJon

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
There is bound to be some limit of magnetic field resistance in a LCD. In a CRT, magnetic fields are used to guide the electron beam that sweeps up and down and left to right. Hence, the Cathode-Ray Tube. Anyway, this is a primary factor why magnets are bad to have around. Not sure what the tolerances are with an LCD, but those displays do not have any electron beams, though they do use electricity.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
I could test out if magnet will affect a LCD screen, 'cause I got a powerful magnet pulled from a hard drive and a couple of LCDs, Sony and Apple Cinema... but it's gonna hurt like hell if I mess them up... Somebody else do it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ok so this will stick to the aluminum displays, but would it work with a powerbook as well? now that would be better than the current stand/holder that comes with the iSight

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
FuzzyBallz said:
I could test out if magnet will affect a LCD screen, 'cause I got a powerful magnet pulled from a hard drive and a couple of LCDs, Sony and Apple Cinema... but it's gonna hurt like hell if I mess them up... Somebody else do it.

Ok i just tested with a magnet pulled from an old scsi drive and it dosent do anything (man these things are strong)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
PlaceofDis said:
ok so this will stick to the aluminum displays, but would it work with a powerbook as well? now that would be better than the current stand/holder that comes with the iSight

all depends on weather there is iron in any form inside the lid and you can test this with any magnet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.