ISIL or ISIS?

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
It wasn't until I found this article that I understood why some news organizations insisted on referring to ISIL instead of ISIS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/20/isis-vs-isil-vs-islamic-state-the-political-importance-of-a-much-debated-acronym-2/

I think we should just all settle on one acronym and be done with it. Less confusion. ISIS seems to be the more used acronym.
I like the French solution, which is to call them Daesh (pronounced Dash) which is the Arabic name.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
I like the French solution, which is to call them Daesh (pronounced Dash) which is the Arabic name.
or rather an acronym for the Arabic name, which I gather is "Dawlat al-Islamiyah f'al-Iraq wa al-Sham" :eek:

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Call me old, but being Pagan and seeing that I grew up with 1970s and 1980s cartoons on Saturday morning, their use of ISIS really pisses me off. The Egyptian goddess and Marvel and DC superhero predates the group in the Middle East.

ISIL or Dash, but definitely not the goddess. If she had her druthers, she'd throw some lightning down on their arses for taking her name in vain.

BL.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Call me old, but being Pagan and seeing that I grew up with 1970s and 1980s cartoons on Saturday morning, their use of ISIS really pisses me off. The Egyptian goddess and Marvel and DC superhero predates the group in the Middle East.

ISIL or Dash, but definitely not the goddess. If she had her druthers, she'd throw some lightning down on their arses for taking her name in vain.

BL.
There was a Saturday morning live-action show in the 70s about a female superhero called Isis. I think she was supposed to channel the Egyptian goddess or something. Anyway, if I recall the actress that played her was pretty hot.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
There was a Saturday morning live-action show in the 70s about a female superhero called Isis. I think she was supposed to channel the Egyptian goddess or something. Anyway, if I recall the actress that played her was pretty hot.
Yup:

Attachments

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

BL.
I HAD a backpack that had a tag on it that said ISIS. I assume the maker of this cheap backpack. I have since switched it out to a Swiss Gear. Couldn't in good conscience use that old one any longer.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I have seen some sites calling them "Islamic State" or just IS, which seems usable. "ISIL" is a little more worrying than "ISIS", because the "S" is just a country, while the "L" is an entire region that also encompasses Lebanon, Israel and possibly Jordan. IS cannot be allowed to gain control of Syria, even if it means keeping that awful, secular Bashar al Assad in power, because they would not be content with just Syria and Iraq.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I have seen some sites calling them "Islamic State" or just IS, which seems usable. "ISIL" is a little more worrying than "ISIS", because the "S" is just a country, while the "L" is an entire region that also encompasses Lebanon, Israel and possibly Jordan. IS cannot be allowed to gain control of Syria, even if it means keeping that awful, secular Bashar al Assad in power, because they would not be content with just Syria and Iraq.
Calling them IS, or Islamic State, is recognizing them as a sovereignty or at least giving their political desires credence.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
That would be the one! thanks for posting it, as I forgot it was actually live-action and not a 'toon. It's this and the goddess I am reminded of everytime I hear of ISIS in the news.

Unfortunately, it's the negative aspect that people will be forever reminded of.. :(

BL.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
To be fair a lot of users on here still can't really grasp the idea that they're anything more than Muslim..... so asking them to decide between ISIS and ISIL will be like banging your head against a brick wall.