ISIS fighters seize weapons airdrops meant for Kurds

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think it is a surprise that this happened. If we are sending weapons into this area there is no way to guarantee that none of them will end up in the hands of IS.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Someone is following the wrong #hashtag. :D

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm surprised.

Who is the OIC who signed off on this?

We can move a secure pipeline of equipment to the Kurds from secure areas, or through turkey.

Who are the assets on the ground, because there is zero chance in hell we did a blind drop.

I can think of lots of good reasons this might happen, but none have anything in common with what the thread title implies

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Wait a minute. How come no one is checking if the Kurds have an open carry license?:p

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Surprised that **** happens in war?

Not me.

War is **** just waiting to happen.

10. Peterkro, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Turkey won't allow arms through their border and the nearest secure area is held by the Kurds in Iraq every thing in-between is IS.So an airdrop was necessary the fact that one lot got seized by IS is neither here nor there one thing they ain't short of is arms.
    It's still touch and go for Kobani and IS are calling all their forces in the area to try and capture it before the Syrian Kurds that have been fighting in Iraq arrive to reinforce them (Turkey under great pressure from the US has said they'll let them through [ i'll believe them when it happens]).
    The fighters in Kobani are fast running out of ammo and before the airdrop were desperate straights.
    I wish all the best in the world to the men and women fighting IS in Kobani one glimmer of hope in a huge depressing **** up.
    (by the way the field commander in Kobani is a woman)

Edit: by the way the YPG fought their way out of the city and secured an area for the airdrop got nearly all the equipment and retreated back into the city.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, look on the bright side. This means we can get another shipment and give it to the Kurds. More money for the defense contractors to make! :D

:rolleyes::mad:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This was reported days ago by the US. Out of 27 bundles dropped, one went astray, and a US plane shot up most of it anyway. A very minor cock-up in the major scheme of things.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Minor unless you're on the business end of one of those misplaced weapons.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm sure a Republican President wouldn't have been so careless.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he would have boots on the ground like yesterday, still waiting for the say we actually get some one who is anti war in office, all these POS war mongering chicken hawks disgust me.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

they have no shortage of weapons. it makes no difference to them.

obviously it would be better that 100% of weapons go where you want them to go, but once you decide you are going to send weapon, which one do you think is the better approach?

send "2" in a way that it is certain that they both get there safely, or send "20" and allow for "3" to be captured by the enemy (numbers purely indicative)?

the primary aspect here is getting the weapons to the kurds, not keeping weapon out of ISIS's hand. that said, it is obvious you try to do both, which they did.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You mean the USAF can't seem to do anything right in Syria-Iraq...

Seriously, C-17's were probably conducting the airdrops, and they would have done it from above 15,000 feet. It's hard to be accurate from that altitude. But there is no way we'd risk a C-17 by going in any lower. ISIS has some pretty decent AA ordnance.

----------

No doubt they dropped a $35,000 GBU on a wooden crate filled with old AK's. :p

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It may be well known I'm not sure but the arms dropped were not from the US they were in line with what the PYG already have and were sourced from Albania.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Many years ago I remember being told that during WWII.

When the British bombed the Germans ducked.
    When the Germans bombed the British ducked.
    When the Americans bombed EVERYBODY ducked.:p

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The issue of Turkey and the Kurds is an interesting one. Apparently a lot of people don't realize how much this has affected the way things have played out in the region over the last 25 years.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's a good example of 'damned if you do'

Had the USAF lost a C-130 (that's what the NYT says was used in Kobani) to AA fire because the crew were trying to ensure all the weapons went to the Kurds, people would be criticizing the administration.

If the USAF flies higher, knowing that a container could drift off-course, people freak out about the lost weapons, even if those weapons were rendered useless.

I'm not sure. One article made it sound like there was a strafing run, another made it sound like they dropped a bomb on it.

Daesh (ISIS/ISIL) are pretending that they seized some of the crates, but based on the video, I'd say they're parading around some junk they found.

----------

Yeah, today's announcement that the Turks would let persh merga fighters cross the border into Syria is certainly interesting.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the war against Daesh (ISIS/ISIL) ended up creating Kurdistan.

22. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

The USA should support the Kurdish ambition for an independent Kurdish Republic.

Grab some land from Kurdish Iraq. Grab some land form Kurdish Syria. Take some land from Kurdish-majority south-eastern Turkey. Grab a bit of Kurdish-populated land from Iranian Kurdistan. And then drop a nuke on whoever complains first. :D

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the U.S. tried to take part of Turkey, it might have to invade itself to honour its treaty obligations to a NATO ally.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We have small bits and pieces we send over there now but all along it's probably been designed as a gradual buildup in the Iraq/Syria region designed as another occupation force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugMmyBUKRy4

Video shows what I saw a lot in days leading up to Kuwait. But no, not end of world, or government out to shoot liberals and/or tea partiers, but a likely long occupation of parts of Iraq and Syria. My guess.