ISIS uses chemical weapons against American troops in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Seems like ISIS fired a couple rounds of mustard gas at base in Iraq. That's interesting; I wonder if it was some of Saddam's leftovers or they have a mustard gas manufacturing capability. I suspect they made it themselves. Mustard gas isn't exactly advanced technology. And I don't think the shelflife is that long.

https://www.rt.com/usa/360199-chemical-weapons-iraq-us/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Probably the same chemical weapons Obama supplied the rebels to be used in Syria

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

ISIS launched a similar attack against Kurdish peshmerga late last year.

In the story, Reuters quotes a weapons expert who argues that the organization could have made the gas themselves in Iraq.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Source?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Tomorrow from a pc

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be fair if they can make IED's I very much doubt Mustard Gas is beyond them.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So do you support Hilary's desire to have troops on the ground to tackle Daesh.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Nope.

I've noticed a slow tickle of basically non-sourced non-stories trickling out about this war recently....wonder why no one can actually get any facts? Ah well, let's run to the presses and make sure the American people are rah-rah'd up for another war.

"Troops went to inspect the shell after it landed on the base and two field tests were conducted after they noticed a suspect substance. The first test was positive, but a second test was negative."

So it wasn't chemical weapons....but chemical weapons make the headlines regardless. That's propaganda, period.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

It was not mustard gas at all. It was no gaseous mustard gas powder that isn't really dangerous.

All troops tested negative for any ill effects. They don't even possess the technology to turn it into its gaseous form, let alone have any method for storage or delivery of said gas.

10. jerwin macrumors 68000

Is that important?

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp49-c4.pdf

11. Limey77 macrumors regular

Well given that the actual mustard gas you're thinking of is above 96% pure and causes blisters on contact vs this stuff which is about 60% pure and won't even cause blisters. Then yes, it is quite an important distinction.

It does NOT make it right that they're using them, but the explosives that are coated in this powdered form will kill people and the mustard gas won't even make them cough.

12. jerwin macrumors 68000

A report of an ISIS mustard agent attack from a year ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/02/syria-mustard-gas-attack-my-body-was-burning