iSite?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Spymac.com reports that Apple is working on a project currently know as "iSite". It appears to provide further integration for .Mac users... allowing users to serve pages and possibly video streams from their home computer. This would leverage Apple's inclusion of Apache in every copy of Mac OS X, as well as previously mentioned Video Conferencing software from Apple:

Purportedly, users will have the ability to make their .Mac web page URL redirect to their own computer. If a connection cannot be made (if the computer is turned off, for example) the traditional online version of the site will be displayed from Apple's servers.

This may provide some interesting capabilities, but may run into some difficulties with broadband terms of service which frequently limit "server" applications on home computers.

steve53e

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2002
AT&T is out

Since AT&T took over from mediaone, they've cut users off at the ankles. AT&T's Acceptable Use Policy states:

Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the AT&T Broadband Equipment (as defined in the Subscriber Agreement) or the Service to........... (xiv) run programs, equipment or servers from the Premises which provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of the your home LAN (Local Area Network). Examples of prohibited programs and equipment include, but are not limited to, mail, ftp, http, file sharing, game, newsgroup, proxy, IRC servers, multi-user interactive forums and Wi-Fi devices;

Terds!

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Re: iSite?

Originally posted by Macrumors
This may provide some interesting capabilities, but may run into some difficulties with broadband terms of service which frequently limit "server" applications on home computers.
which is why apple owns part of earthlink.. they can get their $450 a year (dsl + .mac) out of ya. It may be why EarthLink is actively looking to acquire ISP's... to make sure that all mac users have access to this product... heck; many isps charge extra to share a network connection between two computers but apple lets you do that for free too.

great idea. sounds cool. It will be interesting to see if this pans out.

-Chris

Frobozz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Good idea

I like the idea of this. I tried it out with another service to do Dynamic IP domain targeting. The problem is that you don't want your computer working as a server all the time. It looks like Apple will fix this problem by making an alternate, static, version show up if you've disabled it.

I signed up for .Mac knowing that what they're providing now is pretty good-- but that things would get better within a year's time. I'm confident this is one of the many things they will do to improve it's services and I, for one, and happy to support them on it.

estevan2737

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona
Totally agree

This will be a great service and just one more good reason to continue using .mac

I suspect that a year from now a lot of people will be jumping on .mac and paying full price to do it.

With the 100 free prints, I'm happy to have my first year for "free".

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
If this is true then I will be interested to see how it works out. I'm already a .mac user and a service like this would really be something to keep me forking over the $.....

RandomMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2002
If this feature doesn't pan out...

...you can always set up the index page of your .mac website to point to your own computer. I do that and it works fine. Oh... if you don't want to use apples online website editor thing (ugh) you can always directly edit it with your editor of choice (yea BBEdit!) from your iDisk.

AT&T has never contacted me for my website. I only put up stuff for my friends, but even if I serve files on IRC and use up all my upstream for weeks at a time, I never get a letter or anything. Food for thought ;)

I still think that this is a cool feature. If apple provides dynamic dns then I wont have to do that through a third party.

- RandomMacGuy (ref: Table B, line 125, numbers 15-20)

moomin

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
5 letters - M Y S Q L

This would be the ultimate

We could have our own databases and php pages

Hell we could run cold fusion!

Dont
Only
Think

Money
And
Complain

Always look on the bright side of life

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I would have use for this right now. I use my idsk to host my sites but I would love to go nuts with video and having it broadcast from my mac would save me from having to upload and be concerned with file size. Plus I would be freeded, or at least I would hope, free from apple's bandwidth limitations, do they still have them now?

As for providers, I have att and for sometime I use to run a carracho server and never had any issues with att..... but I would assume that this service would not be concidered web hosting and or concidered running a server application because it would be like a redirect, or that is what it sounds like.

The only thing that I am concerned with is, my stupid graphite abs. To this day I still have not been able to successfuly web serve or file share out because I have not been able to do the port mapping correctly... anyone done that correctly with a graphite?

JakeWalker

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Boston
SpyMac Lies

When is the last time SpyMac got ANYTHING right? Why are their hunches reported with the same respect that ThinkSecret gets? ThinkSecret ALWAYS gets it right or close to right, SpyMac has never got ANYTHING right!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>SpyMac has never got ANYTHING right!

Feel free to prove JakeWalker wrong...

I can only think of the spy photos of iPod OS 1.1, which many people here thought was fake. But they weren't.

If you hate SpyMac for whatever reason, at most say that you don't like SpyMac because [truth]. Don't bash a site w/ lies, because SpyMac has been right on the nose with some photos/predictions. I can't site any right now.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
>SpyMac has never got ANYTHING right!

Feel free to prove JakeWalker wrong...

I can only think of the spy photos of iPod OS 1.1, which many people here thought was fake. But they weren't.

If you hate SpyMac for whatever reason, at most say that you don't like SpyMac because [truth]. Don't bash a site w/ lies, because SpyMac has been right on the nose with some photos/predictions. I can't site any right now.
"They've been right but I can't prove it?"

Whatever

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Nebrie

"They've been right but I can't prove it?"

Whatever
Spymac has a reasonable record as far as Mac Rumor sites go. If you look past they were able to predict the Superdrived eMac, a Pro (for pay) iTools (which turned out to be .Mac), and they even did have a blurb about the eMac (17" CRT Mac). They've had their share of misses as well... but they aren't just randomly spewing info... unlike a couple of other sites that I _don't_ link to from MacRumors.

They seem to have a bit of .Mac related info - which we'll see how it turns out... SMS, No-IP, iSite etc....

arn

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
To me, there seems that there's no point in apple providing what spymac have described. You can do all this with no-ip.com accts.

anyways, what i think will happen is that apple will improve .Mac HomePages (PHP & MySQL) and provide tools for novice users to use these technologies easily.

We'll just have to wait and see...

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
To me, there seems that there's no point in apple providing what spymac have described. You can do all this with no-ip.com accts.
You can do all of the services Apple includes in .mac which other companies.

E-Mail: Yahoo/MSN
Web Hosting/ Basic Design Templates: Geocities/Tripod
iDisk/WebDAV: XDrive
Photo Hosting: VillagePhoto

The point is Apple does things differently: it groups services together and makes them easy to use.

Just because some other company offers a similar service doesn't mean Apple won't add it to .mac

Plus, what Apple may offer as part of .mac might be different from what no-ip.com offers: does no-ip.com give you a single address which goes directly to your computer, but if your computers offline go directly to your .mac web page?

SpyMac has never got ANYTHING right!
Thats 100% incorrect, people that say this are just stupid and obivously do not read it very often. Spymac have correctly predicted the following...

- iTools going to a pay service
- iPod Windows Model/ iPod hard drive increase by 5gig
Can't think of anymore at the moment but i'm sure there are more.

Luke

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: Totally agree

Originally posted by estevan2737
This will be a great service and just one more good reason to continue using .mac

I suspect that a year from now a lot of people will be jumping on .mac and paying full price to do it.

With the 100 free prints, I'm happy to have my first year for "free".
Yeah, .Mac is turning out to be not bad.... I just can't wait to see them put out a comp that starts with "." U no, I wonder if they will still charge 100 buks next yr, or discount a renewal fee or something like that. It would be nica, as I don't always have a hundred bucks!

JakeWalker

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Boston
Don't forget that SpyMac were the people (before their web redesign) who brought you the iWalk -- which was a hoax. All this talk of no-ip type services is so crazy -- Apple (and everyone else) have enough problems helping people set up high-speed internet connections on networks (the way that cable companies and DSL people want to charge for home networks, etc.), that they couldn't possibly be worrying about providing dynamic ip addressing ... What have they got right so far? Superdrive in an eMac, .Mac, and the eMac ... throw enough crap against the wall, some of it's bound to stick.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by JakeWalker
Don't forget that SpyMac were the people (before their web redesign) who brought you the iWalk -- which was a hoax. All this talk of no-ip type services is so crazy -- Apple (and everyone else) have enough problems helping people set up high-speed internet connections on networks (the way that cable companies and DSL people want to charge for home networks, etc.), that they couldn't possibly be worrying about providing dynamic ip addressing ... What have they got right so far? Superdrive in an eMac, .Mac, and the eMac ... throw enough crap against the wall, some of it's bound to stick.
Valid point- lots of the stuff on this site is true, but some of it is false, and this seems to be one of those things!