Islamic scholars criticize bin Laden's sea burial

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, May 2, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well, i called it yesterday. Instead of whining about "dishonoring" bin laden by burying him in an "unislamic" way, they should be stripping al-quida of their right to refer to bin laden as a muslim. Isn't it an insult to moderate muslims to refer to bin laden and other terrorists as muslims? If so, they should speak up and say so. If they don't, then it is implied that they subconsciously supported him, even if not directly said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_bin_laden_sea_burial

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Religious customs are overrated. Dead is dead.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Couldn't agree more.

I also am very perplexed why we even "complied" with his religious burial thing anyways?

Should have used his organs for donors to get at least SOME good out of the guy.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Don't think using a literally sick man's organs for donors would have been a good idea

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Littering and contaminating the world's seafood in one act!

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think in this situation, we were d***ed if we did and d***ed if we didn't. We would have been criticized either way.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, but i think i'd rather die than have one of bin laden's organs inside me.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They should be lucky he got a sea burial, if it was my choice, I'd stuff his corpse with candy, hang him from a crane over ground zero, and let people whack him with baseball bats like a pinata.

9. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Ewww. I was gonna say just burn his corpse and let new yorkers take turns pissing on it at ground zero.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I'm not saying I'd want to eat any candy that came out of his corpse, but it's the thought that counts. :p

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I surely did not mean that literally. I meant that rather than respecting his religious customs and dumping his body in the ocean, we could have done something more useful. Study his brain. Whack him with bats. Feed it to dogs. Whatever.

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

True that!

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

*High Five*

;)

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes, and this move is to prevent any sort of shrine being erected in his honor.

15. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

TBH, i don't think these "islamic scholars" really give a crap about the burial, i think they're pissed he was killed.

16. 184550 Guest

It's that kind of flagrant cultural disrespect that has historically hampered our missions in Afghanistan and Iraq and has helped to sully our reputation in the process.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why would you dump the body like that anyway? For such an "important" person, you'd think they'd keep him in the morgue for a few weeks or something.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They knew that a fair number of Muslims would probably not be happy about this killing. They said the body was washed, given a funeral, and disposed of in a non-proscribed manner, with due speed according to Islamic tradition. This was done to mitigate as much as practical the pissoffedness of Muslims in general. If the body had been retained (haram) or treated with disrespect, the backlash from this dude's martyrdom would be more intense than it probably will. Stoking the ire of one's enemies is not advisable (unless you can make them really go nuts and make a lot of mistakes).

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wonder who the poor guy who had to wash his body was.

Soldier 1: "I'm the one who fired the bullet that killed Osama, what did you do?"
    Soldier 2: "I had to wash his taint before throwing him in the ocean"

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Come on, anyone with a clue should know that he wasn't buried at sea...

His body is going to end up in some secret government storehouse in between JFK's skull and the Ark of the Covenant.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Exactly.

His body may or may not have been tossed into the ocean but for form's sake, the US had to say that it was treated with respect. To not do so would have only fanned the flames of fanaticism.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Has footage of the burial been released or even known to exist. They might be saying ya we dumped his body over board as a cover but he is really being dissected at the CIA somewhere.

23. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Won't work.

The Alien that crashed at Area 51 is taking that spot.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Besides, The 9/11 government-instruction-manual is next in line for an opening.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Who cares what Islamic scholars say about his burial? The man killed thousands of people.

Islamic scholars are always finding reasons to persecute innocent people and if they weren't upset by Bin Laden's sea burial it would be something else. You simply can't please fundamentalist people short of completely subjugating yourself to their beliefs.

It's a non-issue.