Islamic Sharia schools in UK teaching children homophobic, anti-Semitic and jihad!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Nov 22, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11808658

The BBC's Panorama programme has found evidence that Muslim schoolchildren in England are being taught anti-Semitic and homophobic material from a Saudi textbook.

The syllabus used at a network of more than 40 weekend schools details how the hands and feet are chopped off as punishment for thieves and teaches that the penalty for gay sex is execution

Jews described as looking like "monkeys and pigs".

Faith school question rearing it's head again.

What's your opinion on them, or the article? Everybody should go to the same schools, separateness breeds contempt etc. or people should be able to send their kids for whatever kind of education they like?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Tolerance to an intolerant religion. :rolleyes: I'll never understand it.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Some of it is probably illegal under laws against racial/religious hatred - e.g. the Jewish stuff.

Other stuff is legal due to freedom of speech and that its at the weekend - and outside of compulsory education.

If the churches in the South in the US preach gay hate on a Sunday you wouldn't have a problem with that.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All religion is bunk. The longer I live, the more I can't stand it- especially Islam.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How are these schools any different from homeschool or private schools that teach anti-semetic and homophobic materials. Yes, they teach that other religions are evil, government is bad, and homosexuality is a sin punishable by eternity in hell.

The only real difference is that they are Muslim.

Organized religion is the issue, not the specific brand of organized religion.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

IF??? I'm sure some of them do and they are just as wrong as the op's example. We live in such a messed up world....freedom of religion and speech and all costs and then we cry and complain when these little kids grow up and fly planes into buildings and blow themselves up in marketplaces. This is child abuse and should be stopped, close down the school, deport anyone who isn't a citizen back to the countries where this crap is the status quo and hope we can re-educate the kids to be part of a normal, civilized society. I have no problem taking away the "rights" of these people, they don't deserve any.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

First, who are "these people."

Second, just the way you mention rights shows you clearly have little understanding of what a right is. Seems like you think it means "privilege."

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Certainly in the US preventing this would be unconstitutional.

Probably the best way to combat it is to teach the kids critical thinking in school time.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

These people are the people teaching this crap listed in the op. Who else would it be? I have every understanding of a right. You just missed my point. When you take a right, and use it for hate, I think your right should be taken away from you. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the law in this country. Freedom of speech for all no matter what? I don't think so. Not if you cause danger with your hurt speech (yelling fire during Harry Potter, is the most common example).

Not really, if what is taught can be shown to be illegal under hate speech laws, it wouldn't be unconstitutional. And I doubt the kids in this school go from Jews Look Like Monkeys class to critical thinking class.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I think we should just ban the teaching of religion to children.

You can get into church when your 18 if you want. After you've developed critical thinking abilities and what not.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Amen.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

whatever makes you think people who are older than 18 have necessarily developed critical thinking abilities?

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

There are clearly a lot of serious issues to discuss here, and obviously people's emotions are pretty heightened... but I have to say, reasonable should agree that statements like those above are disgusting, frightening, and un-American. Horrible problems like this can be solved without our entire society simultaneously abandoning our most cherished principles.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The BBC describes these as 'Saudi schools'. There are a number of branches within Islam, Saudi Wahhabism is by far the most conservative. This has little to do with the many kinds of faith schools in the UK, including Muslim ones, although I find the concept of a faith school to be abhorrent.

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I beg to differ. All major religions are generally the same. Jewish people and Muslim believe in the same basic principles of life. So to say one is somehow worse than another is bunk.

16. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I'm sorry, I do believe here's just one problem with this:

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree.

18. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Amen!

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What's unAmerican about being against hate speech? What's disgusting about pointing out that teaching kids to want to kill Americans and Jews is wrong? What cherished principles? The right to raise generation after generation of people who just want to kill all those who disagree with them? No, what's frightening is people who still haven't learned a damn thing after 3,000 people killed on 9/11 and the tens of thousands killed after in the two wars directly related to 9/11. Keep burying your head in the sand and think that we can solve this problem any other way....we can't. We need to end the cycle of raising hate-filled, religious zealots as quickly as we can. If that means someone is going to cry over their freedom of religion, so be it. Your freedom of religion ends when your religion starts to raise soldiers who want to kill me because I'm Jewish.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair there is no evidence that that is the case.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So maybe the Jews worldwide need to put more pressure on Israel and the Palestinians to make peace.

Other than that the Jews and the Arabs have had reasonable relations for thousands of years.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I agree with you on that! One of the worst decision ever made was to kick the Palestinians off of their land and give it to Jewish people after WWII. So surprised that the Palestinians would be angry!!! But hey, it only caused 70 plus years of violence in the mideast and around the world....

24. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but how is the religion raising soldiers to kill you because you're Jewish? Just because a bunch of Saudi nutjobs with interests in the outcome of another conflict decided to inject their own politics into the textbooks of school children?

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You must be joking....