Islamic State Beheads British Aid Worker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's going to be another war. I see no problem with that provided the cost isn't put on the shoulders of the middle class and disabled veterans.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Evil can think it's righteous. I'd wager that it usually does. That doesn't make it any less evil.

I understand your sentiment and agree with it, though: these people aren't killing just for the sake of killing or destroying. They have a goal and feel that the rest of us are in the wrong.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed.

We do a disservice to ourselves and the situation by painting these people in such simplistic ways.

We're too quick to assume our enemies are insane and evil.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

By and large the media is reporting--but avoiding hyping--this story. Hype is exactly what ISIS wants.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh those evil women and children they have purposely targeted.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No one here is saying that their actions were just. Only that they are capable of such atrocities because they have found a way to rationalize it away as being for some "greater good". Similar to how most other heinous acts have been committed through out human history.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Similar to the mindset of a murderer. Which is what they are.

No more.No less.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, but still we cannot boil it all down to "evil". To do so will just lead to another generation of fanatics like them, because nothing will be done to deter such attitudes and beliefs.

12. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Terrific.

A bunch of fundamentalist lunatics have successfully baited the U.S. (and other first world allies) into spending billions of dollars on military industrial war machinery to chase after morons in the Middle East driving pickup trucks and shooting weapons the NRA worships every day in school shootings here at home.

No insanity here.

Just don't forget to PAY YOUR TAXES! 'cause the wealthy want no part of their obligation to support this endeavor.

13. SHNXX macrumors 68000

they need to be nuked
    that's all.

----------

the wealthy pay more taxes than the poor.
    roughly half of the US population pay no taxes whatsoever.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The wealthy have 90% of the wealth while everybody else has 10%.

This war needs to be funded by the wealthy for once.

15. SHNXX macrumors 68000

and whose fault is that?
    not everyone starts billion dollar companies.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Ugh, that statement was disproven almost the moment it leaked out from Romney's fundraising dinner over two years ago. While 46% pay no income tax, two-thirds of those people DO pay employment tax. Also making up a considerable part of the percentage are the low-income and retired. And on top of that, most states charge sales tax, regardless of who you are.

17. SHNXX macrumors 68000

thanks for correcting me.

isn't income tax most of the federal tax?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Intelligent. Whose country do you want to irradiate first?

19. 63dot, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Remember that the vast majority of the people you want to nuke are victims of ISIS.

If they were their own nation, out in the open, then yes nuke them, but we are not fighting a nation with borders, but a cancer of bad ideas which has followers in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and even Europe and the United States.

I have heard people say that the whole area should be nuked and turned into a puddle of glass, but most of the people in the region are allies and partners with the rest of this world. Many of the over 40 nations committed to this fight against ISIS are so-called Muslim nations. You can't go nuke Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Yemen because there are ISIS sympathizers in those countries. They (ISIS) are criminals who have to be killed or captured down to every last man and woman. There's no forcing surrender here and we have to take them all out but since there's no real target to nuke, then we will have to do it with conventional forces. That being said I don't think the Geneva Convention applies here and it's not a state where you capture their soldiers per se, but hoods we bring to justice. If we capture a solider from a real nation, we can only go so far in interrogation, but with them there's no doubt it will be more of a Guantanamo Bay situation where there is no Geneva Convention.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You have good and evil in many instances in history and while many forces/attacks may be done with the fighters thinking they are doing good, sometimes this isn't a factor. Some do evil and are actually proud of it. ISIS is one of those rare instances.

Sometimes the evil in man (which anyone can possess because we are human) comes out and while they know they are doing evil, they get turned on by it and don't stop. These gruesome videos are becoming a recruiting tool of ISIS to find fellow evil people to carry on with, well, murder.

It's not unlike an evil serial killer who gets turned on by the headlines they generate. To people this evil, whether it's pure evil or just plain old brainwashing which brings out a pure evil set of actions, you can't negotiate with them. You have to destroy their organization (and finally the president has the right language usage here).

As these beheadings increase, and they will if ISIS is still around, the world will have a resolve to see that they are evil and have to be eradicated.

Yes, there is such a thing as evil and it's called ISIS.

21. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

ISIS will be good exercise for our special forces. I imagine the British SAS will get some exercise too.

22. 63dot, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I bet both have already been there for some time. By the time you think of them possibly being used for an operation, they are there (and have been there).

Sometimes their work, mostly information gathering, is over by the time some suggest they could be used, and the next group comes in (often more numerous and more heavily armed US Army Rangers) and then the next group (the regular army who has the really large numbers and even "bigger" weapons.) "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney spells out this piece by piece strategy.

It's not as if Delta Force and Seal Team Six and the SAS are going to roll in tanks and kick ass and hopefully it won't come down to a major ground force with tanks going into Syria. By the time you see actual tanks, it's probably a major international coalition of more than just one regular, heavily armed army. We will probably have the special operators help shore up the proper intel to aid air attacks on key ISIS leaders. I hope this will be enough and they will be conquered. But if ISIS numbers grow, as they have from under 10,000 up to the estimated 32,500 "troops", then the likelihood of an allied invasion in Syria grows. We have to nip this one in the bud and take out their leadership.

Do you notice the lack of doves in this crisis? There aren't anti-war protestors out there this time because, like I have said many times before, it is criminals we are bringing to justice and for the first time in a long time, both right and left are working together on this. Few things unite America and the west like a 9/11 but these actions of cruelty by ISIS has united a very large coalition ready to eliminate anything and everything that is ISIS. Several thousand innocent people were killed on 9/11 in a way that got the attention of the world but the fierce advances of ISIS have killed thousands of innocents is creating just as much outrage.

I don't know if this ISIS expansion is as dire as 9/11 but the group has at least made the most headlines since Bin Laden and his attack on the Pentagon and World Trade Center. Just like Pearl Harbor brought the USA into World War II, and 9/11 probably greased the wheels (most unfortunately) for the invasion of Iraq, ISIS and their absolute insanity is bringing in the west (and their many allies) into a war with them.

23. SHNXX macrumors 68000

That was a thoughtless post of mine but I just wish they could be annihilated somehow without significant human cost.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I too hope ISIS is annihilated. I wish it was as easy as bombs, or airstrikes, but the coalition may have to invade Syria.

And while there, the very language of John Kerry seems to indicate that when we get ISIS, that does not put Assad off the hook or make him a good guy. It's a multi-pronged approach and I think ISIS elimination will be the first step of many in this international coalition.

I think the overall goal will be to eradicate both terrorists and dictators in the region and it's why the USA continues to both send in troops at times but at other times have those Camp David peace summits. We may not see peace in our lifetime, but I don't think the rest of the world will give up and there will be more humanitarian aid, peace talks, and even military intervention (when needed). An unstable Middle East has major repercussions around the world and like it or not, the oil the world depends on won't let coalition nations ignore the likes of ISIS.