Islamic State Bomber Kills 10 in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully the death count doesn't rise. Very sad.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rts-explosion-tourist-area-istanbul/78670940/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I wonder how long Erdogan will continue to play footsie with ISIS?

3. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Apparently damaged/destroyed some archaeological items.

Why does ISIS hate archaeology so much? Serious question.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

History and culture do not appear to be compatible with their world view, apparently.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Same reason the Taliban went about destroying a couple of archaeological sites back when: they want to rid themselves of any quote-unquote sinful influences that don't glorify their version of Islam.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I know that area, and that square, in Istanbul very well, and have walked it many times.

Every time I returned en route to western Europe, on leave from a posting in central Asia, I transited and over-nighted in Istanbul, and, after briefly checking into my airport hotel - as a means of decompressing and relaxing - I invariably took a taxi - a trip of around half an hour - to the Sultanahmet (the old quarter) of Istanbul to walk around, soak up the sights, sounds and atmosphere of a beautiful and antique city and civilisation, and finally have a meal of Turkish food, and a beer and a coffee, in one of the side streets of the Old Town.

This is a grotesque and horrible tragedy, wanton murder and destruction, and one that ought to help serve to try to remind us that ISIS (Daesh) and their affiliates attack the history, culture and people of Muslim societies as well as loathing ours and everything we stay we stand for.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now that Turkey finally chose a side,it was only a matter of time before ISIS retaliated.

What is worrying for Turkey is tourism is a big part of the economy, it will all depend on the next few weeks, another attack on a tourist centre, and Turkey might end up like Egypt.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Friendly PSA for Islam after yet another Islamic State attack? 9 of the dead are German tourists. Speaking of Muslim culture and people, New Years Eve in Cologne wasn't caused by ISIS, it was people supposedly running FROM them. Beyond the positive interpersonal anecdotes everyone has, Islam and its followers, at the very least, has a horrible PR image right now. And yet people still bend over backwards to apologize for them.

After today, you think 18% of Turkey continues to sometime or often feel that suicide bombers are justified?

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01...m-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/#suicide-bombing

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am not apologising for them. I hold no brief for them whatsoever.

I am merely pointing out that much of the time, most of the victims of Islamic extremism/fundamentalism/radicals are their fellow Muslims.

Some of the time the targets - and victims - are from the western world, - but the vast majority of those who are killed, murdered, tortured, displaced, annihilated, raped and robbed by Islamic extremists are other Muslims.