Islamic State Terrorists Behead American Journalist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The world gets another reminder on the savagery in the middle east. We forget far to quick and too easily what we are dealing with.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ley-beheaded-isis-militants-article-1.1909374

[​IMG]

Prayers for his family.

2. vega07 macrumors 65816

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

These guys are a ****ing disgrace to humanity.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

This is beyond comprehension, and will not help their cause in any way.

KGB

7. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

8. Southern Dad, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Steven Sotloff will be beheaded next if we don't stop the air strikes according to ISIS.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Terrible.
    These terrorists have made it very clear no negotiation can ever take place after this.

10. keysofanxiety, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Watched the video on Liveleak and sincerely wish I hadn't. The dirty cowards cut him slowly with a tiny knife -- didn't even have the decency to try and do it vaguely humanely.

It says a lot when beheadings back in the 1500s are far more humane than what they've done. This won't rally anybody behind their cause -- if anything it will help people to see how backwards these butchers are. 'Nuke the cu**s' was pretty much the reaction around the office.

I'm rarely moved by such things but this one had me shaking with rage and left me feeling very empty. Just accidentally considering if that was one of my family members, I'm immediately fighting back tears.

Utterly barbaric.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm utterly disgusted. How devastating. I too was fighting back tears when I heard about this. Thankfully didn't watch it.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For IS, we loath you even more, you've displayed to the World where the extremes of religious intolerance and fanaticism can take human beings, great work...

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Religious fanaticism has a way of converting former human beings into something worse than anything you can find in the animal kingdom. It's incredible. This upholds my belief that religion is cancer.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

They want to draw us into a larger war. It's not unlike the desperate kamikazi pilots of end of world war II and ISIS want to die fighting for their cause. They want to maximize the psychological impact of a non-traditional form of warfare being that they don't have a military force who could take on any modern nation. They know it's more and more likely that we will eventually bring in ground troops and annihilate them but that's what they want. It's like the premise of the movie "Seven". ISIS is basically dong a suicide by cop thing.

We are mistook into thinking that they want to win any sort of war. There's no way they could achieve their goal of a large Islamic state covering more than one country. They couldn't even achieve their goal even is Islam was the only religion in the world and there's too much bad blood between the borders over there and within factions in Islam. What they know could happen is that we could send them quickly and violently into their Islamic heaven.

My uncle was a kamikaze pilot who was too young to see action and he never carried out the task that was his life calling as he saw it. It took many years for him to move on and he became an alcoholic and basic wreck. At the same time the chief of staff of our local hospital was also a kamikaze pilot who was too young and he made something of himself becoming notable for going the extra mile to help his patients.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't think this should be an indictment on "religion" anymore than lynchings by the KKK during the 50s and 60s should be. These clowns are no more following the teachings of Islam than the members of the klan were following the teachings of Jesus back in their prime time of activity. They may try to mask it with religion and hide behind that flag, but in the end these are the actions of sadistic criminals.....plain and simple.

My prayers go out to Foley's family, the other journalist they have in captivity and his family as well.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Fanaticism of any kind is bad whether it be religious, racial, or tribal. However my intent was not to indict religion, but religious fanaticism. I'm sure you are aware of the historical occurrences of war in the name of religion.

17. 63dot, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Nuking them would kill many innocents since ISIS members are dispersed throughout mostly friendly, peace loving people. It would be like nuking Ferguson just to kill a few bad apple looters.

But that being said, with the fact that the USA is the only country to have used the bomb, and most recently invaded Iraq from trumped up reasons (resulting in tens of thousands of deaths of innocent Iraqis), the USA will at least invade and step up from just a drone war.

The young soldiers at the military base here are convinced they are going back to Iraq. This beheading will be seen as the Pearl Harbor moment in the American war against ISIS. I believe many wars like this will happen without any resolution and it will tragically end up with a drastic act similar to agent orange, carpet bombing, or even a weapon of mass destruction being unleashed against an enemy of the USA. Pearl Harbor was such a heinous act of violence that some say it led up to the atomic bomb being used in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It may not have been needed at that point as Japan was clearly on the ropes but it could have been an act of revenge. With the multiple beheadings and continued trouble in Iraq (with help from Syria and Iran), something big and tragic will happen there eventually in both an act of sheer revenge and an act way out of proportion.

The USA has invested so much money and blood into this region that at a certain point there won't be any pretending to make Iraq for the Iraqis and the stars and stripes will be permanently planted on their soil. We had costly squabbles with other countries in the past which resulted in more US territory and this won't be any different. There will also be the draw of the region's oil. Some say that some middle eastern nations are already nothing more than puppet states for the USA.

There's no doubt the west will kill ISIS leadership, leaving a void for a new group, but the whole world will condemn the west when a large number of innocents get killed by accident. Whether it's another drone accidentally bombing a peaceful wedding, or school, there's going to be a boiling point to where the USA will be seen as the aggressors and bad guys. The terrorists have killed too many innocents but the USA have killed too many innocents, too. This act of revenge on ISIS isn't a matter of if but when. Airstrikes eventually lead to large staging areas in friendly nations which leads to invasions which lead to war, and ultimately end up in non-combatants taking up most of the deaths and injuries.

Do we want to set in motion another ground war which will inflict far more damage than ISIS has brewed up? For every extremist we kill, there will more two innocents we kill, and for every innocent we kill, we will end up motivating two to join a violent anti-USA terrorist group. If the west keeps up their warlike answers it will lead to another 9/11 type of attack. Osama already achieved one of his goals for having the USA become a paranoid nation turning in on itself.

The extremist versions of Islam is a belief system and the last time I checked, sheer firepower has never changed anybody's belief system. We would only further propagate extremist beliefs and actions if we went to (ground) war over this. Finally the USA has to take the high road and not be reactionary like Israel. If we lose our cool, we will lose our authority in stopping Israel and there could be another six day war resulting in Israel wiping out their enemies again. Our staying out of it has kept these Islamic nations intact whether they know it or not. There's a lot of vocal anti-Israel/USA protests over there but truly very little in the way of military force or organization in the Arab nations. The world has to restore peace and avoid a western takeover of lands held by ISIS. We should provide aid to refugees but we only make it worse in the long run by bombing and killing.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I would urge nobody to watch the awful video that apparently exists of this poor man's murder. I remember about 10 or so years ago when Ken Bigley was murdered in Iraq and this video was going around the internet. A friend of mine showed it to me when we were drunk at a house party and it is the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life. It was something I wish I could have unseen and I can still see it in my memory now. Don't get curious, just realise it isn't worth watching. Absolute animals. :mad:

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A Pearl Harbor moment for the US? Are you auditioning to be on cable news?

20. 63dot, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You have a point. I remember seeing the Forum Hotel blown up in Belfast, or the aftermath. It's visceral and never leaves your memory. In my case I didn't see blood or body parts but knowing that the damage to the building was an intentional act of terrorism was such a creepy feeling. Anybody near that blast would have been killed.

----------

The US media (especially those pro-war guys at FOX) will spin this into an event which will be the final straw that brings this to a ground war. We were already headed there when we decided to use drones. The way I see it there's no way out of this.

I don't think Obama wants a war but had these ISIS events happened while Bush was in office, we would have been there on the ground already pretty much making a worse mess of this.

No matter what we have to get ready for another endless war with no positive outcome:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/14/why-obama-s-iraq-war-will-be-a-disaster.html

21. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I made a big mistake in watching the unedited video. Absolutely horrifying.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm hoping under Obama it won't be another ground war. If a Republican is elected President (in the near future) all bets are off. <no smiley>

----------

Did they at least kill him first or was slow decapitation the method? It turns my stomach thinking about it.

23. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

No he was alive!!

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree with this. The West can't take up permanent residence in these countries. We can't afford it in lives or $. And our presence stokes the resistance.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There are plenty of historical occurrences of war that have nothing to do with religion, or even if they somewhat do are more just examples of people using whatever they can to get people to go to war...

I agree that I don't think he wants a war, but he is definitely stumbling towards one. I have a feeling that he will slowly involve us more and more until we accidentally end up on a full fledged war where we have no idea what we want to accomplish or how to get out. Just because IS has no chance of winning an outright victory doesn't mean that they can't fight us to a stalemate like has happened in Afghanistan and Iraq last time.