Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The same way it's a 'design flaw' on your iPhone X?

It certainly isn’t registered as anything else or did you wake up at any stage in the last years and suddenly found the camera bump pretty?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It certainly isn’t registered as anything else or did you wake up at any stage in the last years and suddenly found the camera bump pretty?

I use the Apple leather case on my iPhone X (and current XS). So the bump is 100% flush with the depth of the case. It actually makes for a very appealing design. If you use a case, you really won't need it any other way.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
It's totally a design flaw. Honestly, if no one buys the new iPads, maybe Apple will remove the camera bump.

If you’ve read any of the number of threads talking about what size or color or storage space, or other features people are getting, you’ll see that relying on “if no one buys the new iPads” to prompt removal of the camera bump is not going to happen.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
12.9 iPads didn’t have a silly bump until now either and I’m guessing the 2018 iPad is bump-free too.

Having said that, I could see why the OP wouldn’t consider either of these as a replacement for an Air 2.

The 12.9 is a completely different beast and much larger/heavier, and unless I’m mistaken while it is an upgrade in terms of internals and pencil support the external body of the 2018 iPad is a cheaper version of the Air 2 (no laminate screen).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I use the Apple leather case on my iPhone X (and current XS). So the bump is 100% flush with the depth of the case. It actually makes for a very appealing design. If you use a case, you really won't need it any other way.

So you need additional purchases to make the experience overall better. Telling about the design of the product.

I agree though, a case improved those devices and brought them back to a flat state.

Reactions: bob24

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you’ve read any of the number of threads talking about what size or color or storage space, or other features people are getting, you’ll see that relying on “if no one buys the new iPads” to prompt removal of the camera bump is not going to happen.

Well clearly the camera bump isn’t much of an issue.
[doublepost=1541362484][/doublepost]

YES! Exactly.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Would I prefer it flush? Absolutely. Do I really care? No. I’ve had to use “bumped” devices for years and never makes a lick of a difference in practical usage.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Yeah I don't understand why more people don't have an issue with it. Its highly frustrating to me since I don't use cases on my iPhone or iPads, and its ugly AF. But Apple still needs to make 'progress' with their high end tablets and phones, and thus can't skimp on the camera, which require a certain thickness, and if they went thicker to increase battery life (which would be a huge benefit to those people for whom "all day" is more than 12 hours and under certain conditions), then the competition would be talking smack about the iPads being 2mm thicker than their devices. Like seriously Apple, 2mm thicker for a much more beautiful design...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well it's only been out for 3 days so we'll see if they 'don't mind'. I can't imagine millions have shipped yet. And three days certainly isn't enough time for people to decide if they like it or not. Plus who cares what millions think. I'm talking about functionality in design here. It's not about pleasing masses. It's about making excellent things.
Not sure why you keep acting like this is a new thing just because you learned about it recently.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
The op is spot on. The ipad is supposed to be an extremely premium device but low and behold it's got a freakin camera bump. What's the go with this, honestly? It seems Apple can never quite nail it. Why oh why would you have a bump? Why?

And whilst I'm on the subject of Apple not nailing it, no headphone jack either. Why? On a smaller product I can understand, but on a tablett?

Imagine the awsomeness:

12.9 inch screen - yep
Smooth refresh rates - yep
Face ID - on an ipad yes
Face ID working in landscale and portrait - yep
Split screen multitasking - yep
Boom speakers - yep
Headphone jack and bluetooth - yep
Camera with no bump - yep
Comes with stock calculator app - yep

Just imagine the awesomeness.

But not to be. Camera bump making it an uneven surface, no headphone jack and no calculator. Once again Apple can't get it 100% right. Year after godforsaken year. It's always 2 steps forward one step back with them.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don’t get why it’s as big an issue as it apparently is. Sure, as I said before, given the choice I’d take a device with a flush camera.

But really all we’re talking about is aesthetics. The iPad doesn’t wobble about when it’s laying “flat” the way an iPhone does - that bugs the utter crap out of me.

But the iPad, camera bump and all is a rock solid surface when it’s lying on its back. The 10.5” certainly is, so the 12.9” will be no different.

So, there’s no real usability drawback to it, beyond a very slightly raised corner. Which I’m not entirely certain how that’s a problem.

Aesthetically, it’s not the most attractive of things. Thankfully I spend 99.99% of my time looking at the front of these things. I only look at the back when I’m cleaning it.

So that leaves it being what? Unattractive for other people to see? Who gives a rats rear end what other people think, especially about something as pedestrian as a tablet?

So yeah, if there’s a choice, I’ll take a flush back. If there’s no choice, I really don’t get why it’s such an issue.

cryptonator

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
But really all we’re talking about is aesthetics. The iPad doesn’t wobble about when it’s laying “flat” the way an iPhone does - that bugs the utter crap out of me.

It is not aesthetics, it's the increased chance of damage to the rear camera due to it being exposed and hindering usability when using the Apple Pencil and iPad on a flat surface.

Unfortunately, it is a zero-sum game; thinner iPad with a protruding lens, or a thicker iPad with no protruding lens.

Reactions: subjonas

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Who cares? iPad 10.5 Pro has a bump too and never even think about it and guess what Camera has never been damaged - ever! Same with iPhone....

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
camera bump on the ipad Is not a problem at all thanks to ipads size...it wont wobble like the iphone on a flat table etc

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
It is not aesthetics, it's the increased chance of damage to the rear camera due to it being exposed and hindering usability when using the Apple Pencil and iPad on a flat surface.

Unfortunately, it is a zero-sum game; thinner iPad with a protruding lens, or a thicker iPad with no protruding lens.

I suppose I could give you the increased chance of damage if you’re particularly rough with them.
I’ve never considered it, I’ve managed 4 years with iPhone camera bumps without a camera suffering and although I’m a generally careful kind of person, my nerve damage causes spasms. Which in turn have sent my iPhones hurtling out of my hands onto everything from wood, to concrete, to a poor unsuspecting collie. (Ok, that last one was a soft landing :D)

As for using the Apple Pencil, I’ve yet to see an issue with it. Maybe I’m just less fussy?
Granted, most of my use has been with a 12.9” so, no issue there obviously. But I’ve done quite a bit of Pencil work on a 10.5” too. There’s no wobble, not even a teeny tiny bit, so it’s never had an effect with what I’m doing.

But I suppose we’re all different.

cryptonator

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
I suppose I could give you the increased chance of damage if you’re particularly rough with them.
I’ve never considered it, I’ve managed 4 years with iPhone camera bumps without a camera suffering and although I’m a generally careful kind of person, my nerve damage causes spasms. Which in turn have sent my iPhones hurtling out of my hands onto everything from wood, to concrete, to a poor unsuspecting collie. (Ok, that last one was a soft landing :D)

As for using the Apple Pencil, I’ve yet to see an issue with it. Maybe I’m just less fussy?
Granted, most of my use has been with a 12.9” so, no issue there obviously. But I’ve done quite a bit of Pencil work on a 10.5” too. There’s no wobble, not even a teeny tiny bit, so it’s never had an effect with what I’m doing.

But I suppose we’re all different.

I tend to be quite careful as well. Though it is always on the back of my mind scuffing the camera lens when exerting pressure on the body when pressing down on the screen (or using the pencil) or when moving/pushing the iPad around (the iPhone X/Xs is 10 times worse with the dual lens system).

A scratch/scuff on the body would be merely superficial, but one of the lens would make photos completely useless.

Though as you said, I think we all would prefer a flushed/flat iPad. Unfortunately its going to be a while until/if we get one.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
It’s only a bump if you don’t use a case and I don’t know about you but I don’t think many will be using a £1000 tablet without a case. Non issue

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
It’s only a bump if you don’t use a case and I don’t know about you but I don’t think many will be using a £1000 tablet without a case. Non issue
It's exactly because Apple WANTS you to also buy a case.

Obviously they could integrate it into the chassis. But from the perspective of accessories, that would be stupid.

Apple has used this "trick" since the iPhone 6.

Reactions: sracer and Mabus51

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I tend to be quite careful as well. Though it is always on the back of my mind scuffing the camera lens when exerting pressure on the body when pressing down on the screen (or using the pencil) or when moving/pushing the iPad around (the iPhone X/Xs is 10 times worse with the dual lens system).

A scratch/scuff on the body would be merely superficial, but one of the lens would make photos completely useless.

Though as you said, I think we all would prefer a flushed/flat iPad. Unfortunately its going to be a while until/if we get one.

On the bright side, the camera lens covers are made of sapphire, it doesn’t scratch easily, not by a long stretch.

Honestly in the 4 years of me and I’m sure most of us here, having camera bumps (IPhone and literally :D ) I’ve never had any kind of damage to them. They are remarkably resilient and as I say, with my stupid appendage, my devices do tend to go on their travels from time to time, usually scraping along some hard surfaces.

If you really worry, you can always take precautions. A case maybe, or perhaps just a lens safety glass (or PET) cover. I’m sure you still get them. If not, easily cut from a screen protector.

Really, when it comes to Pencil use, laying your iPad flat on a surface. You’re in the same boat anyway, camera bump or not.

I’ve got the 12.9” iPad Pro, which currently has no camera bump, and my wife has the 10.5”, which does.

When I’m doodling away, my iPad lying flat on my desk, there’s just as much risk of an errant piece of grit scraping against the lens.

I’m almost entirely certain it’s happened to mine at some point, due to a hairline scratch that was on a skin I’d applied to the back.

The scratch went across the lens but not on the lens if you know what I mean. There was a partial scratch either side, which together would have lined up perfectly if you drew a line across the lens.

Without taking precautions your as likely to get a scratch no matter what with the iPads. Until the day comes where the camera assembly is thin enough to be recessed into the case, it’s a risk. Albeit a very small one.

If it really worries you that much and you don’t trust the resilience of sapphire, you’ll have to apply a protector or use a case, camera protrusion or not.

For what it’s worth, I have an iPhone 3S which I use as a camera to monitor my 3D printers. It has seriously been through the wars over the years. I had it when I worked demolition and it took a fair beating there.

My dad had it for a couple of years and he’s not known for being careful. And since I’ve had it back it’s been in drawers full of nails, screws, parts of PCB’s and god knows what.

Yet the camera is still unscathed. Despite every inch of the rest of the device being covered in gouges. So they can take a fair beating.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I hate the camera bump on devices. It looks awful. But it’s easily fixed with a slim case. The folio case levels it out and still leaves an area to charge the new Pencil.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The op is spot on. The ipad is supposed to be an extremely premium device but low and behold it's got a freakin camera bump. What's the go with this, honestly? It seems Apple can never quite nail it. Why oh why would you have a bump? Why?

And whilst I'm on the subject of Apple not nailing it, no headphone jack either. Why? On a smaller product I can understand, but on a tablett?

Imagine the awsomeness:

12.9 inch screen - yep
Smooth refresh rates - yep
Face ID - on an ipad yes
Face ID working in landscale and portrait - yep
Split screen multitasking - yep
Boom speakers - yep
Headphone jack and bluetooth - yep
Camera with no bump - yep
Comes with stock calculator app - yep

Just imagine the awesomeness.

But not to be. Camera bump making it an uneven surface, no headphone jack and no calculator. Once again Apple can't get it 100% right. Year after godforsaken year. It's always 2 steps forward one step back with them.
You're still here? Thought you were over with Apple?o_O
(but I do agree with the headphone jack, even though I don't really use it on the iPad too)

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
This is a very different situation. I understand the bump on the iPhones. Those cameras are used almost on a daily basis, whereas I can't remember the last time I tried to take a photo with my iPad. The bump is not necessary. I would rather have a crappier back camera with no bump. Can't believe i'm the minority here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.