Isn't it possible to buy 10.6 or 10.7 anymore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by burak136, Aug 3, 2012.

1. burak136 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a mac os x 10.5 installed macbook pro. I have to re-install the 10.5 because of some problems. However, I don't have my installation dvds. I am away from my home and my dvds probably got lost in the post office or somewhere during the delivery.

I am in Germany. Online apple store doesn't list anything related to OS X except the new 10.8.

Making a clean install is OK for me. I will buy a new mac os x dvd. But how?
    Since my previous OS version is 10.5, I should install 10.6 or 10.7. But how to buy it over internet? Apple store in Frankfurt, does not sell DVDs.

Also it is not possible to buy or download the 10.8.

So I am need to do to install a new os? Where to buy?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At least in the US you can call Apple and purchase the grey restore discs that originally shipped with your machine.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could buy overly expensive 10.6 versions here or find a used copy, still quite expensive, here.

Those prices are a shame, considering it cost 29 € initially. No wonder people torrent that ****.

If you have a Gravis or Cyberport (Berlin & Dresden) you could ask there for help.

4. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I've already checked amazon.de and e-bay. Those prices are unbelievable. Normally, 10.6 was 30 euros in apple online store. Just few weeks ago.

Now, because of that new os it is not possible to find it from apple store. This is crazy. I like apple, I am using my mac book pro since 3 years. But this policies are crazy.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You could always ring Apple. Never know, you may get lucky and they may ship you a SL disc. Can't hurt to try!

6. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give a call, yup. I don't have hope, but worth to try. Otherwise, I dunno what to do?

Buy a new mac? Get a recycling discount 60 dollars and pay 1000 dollars for a new mac? :)

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It never hurts to give Apple a try. Just when you least expect it you could get lucky. I know I have.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Many users here are too young to remember, but "in the old days" Apple used to make older versions of the system software accessible to those who needed it. After a period of time, the downloads were free.

I simply can't understand why today they choose to remove [relatively] recent releases of the system software from availability.

A "Fishrrman's rule of the market":
    If people need something, and you don't make it possible for them to obtain it legally or through normal channels, they will resort to illegal or extra-normal channels to find and get what they need.

Having written that, I'll reply to the original poster. There -are- ways to find almost every version of OS X. They are "out there", to be found. I won't say any more, as forum rules prohibit some avenues of discussion.

Seek, and ye shall find!!

9. leftheaded macrumors member

my macbook was on 10.5.8 and I called Apple last week (in the US). The person on the phone placed an order for Snow Leopard 10.6.3 which was delivered to my house yesterday ($30). Just went through the install and upgrade to 10.8 this morning (did not have to pay $20 for Mountain Lion again since I already bought it for my other Mac).

Good luck

10. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I called the Apple Care. They told me that they can ship 10.6 to someone(like a friend) in the U.S. (For 30 $)

No any other solution possible by the Apple.

Buying a 10.6 will cost me 1.5 months, (because I will wait my friend to return) and to buy new ram to use 10.8 fluently.

Because I read a lot of complaint about 10.6. Like wireless,airport issue. So an upgrade to 10.8 looks like a must and eventually ram upgrade also.

That means i am STUCK. It is hard to believe but current apple software policies make you stuck if you are using a 3-years-old-mac and 10.5.

And it is all because German Post service lose my dvds.

11. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried Gravis or Cyberport?

12. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I checked but no result. Since Apple stopped selling 10.5 .6 .7 officially (except phone store) , it won't be possible to buy it from premium resellers etc...

13. simsaladimbamba

I thought, that they maybe had some copies in reserve for troubleshooting those older Macs. I once got Mac OS 9.2.2 on a CD from an Apple Repair Centre long after Apple stopped selling them officially.

14. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha okay. So I will try to contact them. Thanks for the tip.

15. seared.ahi macrumors regular

seared.ahi

I don't even want to think what will happen when 11.0 comes out. We're only about 2-4 years away.

16. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah! If they follow the same principles again: then you recycle your mac and get a 50 $ discount to buy a new mac just for 1199$ 11.0 installed :)

17. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

How would you know how far away we are from 11.0? Just as long as you realise that software version numbers are decimal bound. Having 10.11 is *not* a strange sort of thing.

18. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I am confused. Why did you call AppleCare U.S., and not AppleCare Germany? Is it because you are from the U.S. and want the U.S. English version of Snow Leopard? If not, why don't you ring up Apple Germany and ask *them* if you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard directly from them? Surely the German arm of Apple can ship a German version to a German mailing address??

-- Nathan

19. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't speak German. But it is a good idea to ring Apple Germany.

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's lousy when people make profits like this...I have my original SL disks form my iMac, and would be happy to give them to you, but they won't work on your Mac. My MBP was replaced 9 months ago and so it shipped with Lion.

As suggested, give Apple a call, should be cheaper than ebay etc.

21. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I guess I can get shot by saying this, but wouldn't be easier if you download 10.6 from "other" places and burn them to dvd or put on flash disk.

and in the meantime you can wait about 1.5 months for the dvd to come.
    I'm not supporting piracy, but considering your situation it seems like a win-win solution, cause in the end you'd pay for the OS.